Comedy and bellybuttons

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2013
      Hello Dino

      Re:
      belly-buttons. I think in comparison, Jeannie was seen more as a sex object
      because she was in our current reality. �Star Trek� was in the future and not
      seen as accessible.

      Hello Martin

      We are aware
      you Americans don�t really get irony or satire and we�re still trying to figure
      out why considering we have similar blood stock. As I�m still exploring the
      differences, can I hazard a guess that you more respectable people try not to
      do any subtle insults to anyone. Mind you, we don�t thump people�s lights out
      or draw a gun on them neither.

      Re: People
      on the �rise�. When they�re established they get it even more over here if they
      are known to be hypocrites or too full of themselves. Gervais comes from a
      long line of people who�ve done that and still come back but I suspect you�ll
      find it�s the organisers who ask and he thinks you�re gluttons for punishment.
      As I don�t watch The Golden Globes or any award shows for that matter, I haven�t
      taken much interest in the proceedings.

      I ran a joke in SFC a few years ago
      that Tom Cruise wanted a part in �The Lord Of The Rings� trilogy but was
      refused because he wasn�t tall enough.

      Did you ever watch this clip. I
      think I�ve mentioned it before, even more remarkable as to who is playing
      Cruise:-

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW48_mATuYU

      Re: Avengers
      Hellfire Club. I suspect a lot of it is those puritan values getting in the
      way. It�s the same and contradictory where violence and sexual content over there is
      frowned on and yet worse it shown on the news your side of the pond. As such,
      where its known there might be problems with US censors, directors do two cuts
      and the rest of the world sees the one the directors prefer. Saying that, I�m
      still puzzled why the latest Marvel�s Avengers and Prometheus films last year
      had longer cuts Stateside than the rest of the world. I�m seeing the Region 1
      Avengers DVD in a week or so and I�ll switch into analytical mode. Anyone want
      to bet that Ridley Scott will release a director�s cut of Prometheus??

      Re: Orphan Black. Nope.
      Haven�t spotted it in the schedules although saying that I don�t normally scan
      all the BBC channels. I know you people are used to multi-channels and surfing them
      but with so many, I tend to limit what I watch on the box, especially with so
      many running repeats over here..

      There are a lot of �Not Going Out�
      clips on UTube but you get a better effect seeing the entire 25 minute
      episodes. Both male leads are comedians outside of this series. It is on DVD
      over there.

      Hello
      John

      These days, show-runners after five
      series are deliberately pushed on to create new shows over there. Makes you
      wonder what would have happened to Leslie Stevens in the current climate.

      Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

      Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the world
      and they look to what we do!

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2013
        Some of us do! :D

        you Americans don�t really get irony or satire...
        Geoff

        *************** Geoff Willmetts editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk and other
        suffixes ****************

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2013
          Hello Dino You're vastly out-numbered over there. Geoff

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
          From: LambuLambu@...
          Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:59:46 -0400
          Subject: Re: [probe_control] Comedy and bellybuttons

          Some of us do! :D

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2013
            And don't I know it, too! (I think it's what used to drive the people I worked with insane. They couldn't handle what would come out of my mouth at times. I guess that's what happens when you watch more British programming than you do US!)

            To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
            From: LambuLambu@...
            Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:59:46 -0400

            Some of us do! :D

            We are awareyou Americans don�t really get irony or satire...

            Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

            Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the worldand they look to what we do!

          • martin allen
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2013
              Dino--
                 Tried writing you direct-no luck. I'm having yet more fun with the hillbillies who run rest homes around here. You want some details, write me back direct. I'll give you my regular e-mail address. The One Thing I know for sure, Tri-Care was Not at fault last time. I think they got snowed, too.

              Geoff--
                 You are a blasted mind-reader. I had to give up any regular attempts at subtle humor years ago--see entry above. I still do it, but for the express purpose now, of annoying the locals. But I do stay out of arm's reach, and I seldom yell at people on the road. That's really when the guns come out in some areas.

                  I can only guess as to the ultimate cause of the 'Great Divide' between us, but I think, on one hand, things would have gotten better a lot sooner if you guys had quit press-ganging us after the Revolutionary War. We, in turn, went a little too far in ostensibly purging ourselves of our cultural origins. James Fenimore Cooper was no substitute for Jonathan Swift.

              martin

              ________________________________

              To: mailto:probe_control%40yahoogroups.com
              From: mailto:LambuLambu%40aol.com
              Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:59:46 -0400

              Some of us do! :D

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31, 2013
                Martin,

                I just replied to you directly. Check to see if you get it. If not, let me know through here. If you do, but still can't reply to me, again through here let me know what error you're getting and I'll look into it. (AOL has been doing strange things to my e-mails at random intervals.)

                To: mailto:probe_control%40yahoogroups.com
                From: mailto:LambuLambu%40aol.com
                Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:59:46 -0400

                Some of us do! :D