actors and series

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
      Hello
      Don

      Re: Gary Raymond. He didn�t have a bad
      career and even appeared in a couple SF/genre shows and films in his career as
      well as �I, Claudius� � something because of his hair colour had McCallum
      stayed in the UK wouldn�t have been able to do. Acting is all about making the
      right decisions as to what they take on and very few actors at the start of
      their careers are psychics.

      Has anyone ever wondered why �Garrison�s
      Gorillas� hasn�t been released on DVD yet??

      Hello
      Dino

      In the pre-digital era, we rarely if never
      even had repeats of shows between seasons. Even today, there might be a repeat
      during the same week with some shows and never see again. Doesn�t happen with
      all shows but certainly with dramas.

      Re: Mork And Mindy. �Happy Days� was hardly
      an intentional spin-off. Over the years, it just goes to show that the bosses
      don�t know their product neither.

      Re: Lost In Space. The main problem with
      the first season was it was too bland. Family life in space with 50s standards.
      Harris� spin just made him stand out. Had he interacted with the family like
      that and they responded accordingly, things might have improved for them as
      well.

      Re: ST-TNG. Do remember, Dino, most of us
      here do know the back stories of why people stayed or left TV shows. The point
      I was making that no one on the BBC spotted that they had been given the shows
      out of order from the USA and just kept it that way.

      If you list to audio commentaries on
      current shows, not only are they filmed out of order but some scenes are filmed
      much later as well. The reason why the opening show, and isn�t just done with �Who�,
      isn�t filmed first is because it allows a new lead to get a handle on the
      character which can be applied to the opening episode. When a later story looks
      a little generic, you can work out the filming and might not mind so much
      compared to having the opening story and think that�s far too bland.
      Impressions do last after all. As long as the viewing order is adhered to, it shouldn�t
      cause a problem.

      Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

      Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the world
      and they look to what we do!

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
        Yes...although I like watching things in production order because of my
        interest in the production of a show, I also understand that some shows
        require a certain viewing order, because of production logistics.

        The problem is when the suits get involved. When they start scheduling
        shows out of order because they think they know best, you get a stinking
        mess that can hurt the show, or requires the producers to make last minute
        reshoots and shuffling...which the network then makes worse with further
        juggling.

        That is part of the reason I have problems with the idea of just judging
        what we see on the screen. It doesn't always make for an
        accurate assessment.

        On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:06 AM, gf willmetts
        <gfwillmetts-2@...>wrote:

        > Hello
        > Don
        >

        > Re: Gary Raymond. He didn�t have a bad
        > career and even appeared in a couple SF/genre shows and films in his
        > career as
        > well as �I, Claudius� � something because of his hair colour had McCallum
        > stayed in the UK wouldn�t have been able to do. Acting is all about making
        > the
        > right decisions as to what they take on and very few actors at the start of
        > their careers are psychics.
        >

        > Has anyone ever wondered why �Garrison�s
        > Gorillas� hasn�t been released on DVD yet??
        >

        > Hello
        > Dino
        >

        > In the pre-digital era, we rarely if never
        > even had repeats of shows between seasons. Even today, there might be a
        > repeat
        > during the same week with some shows and never see again. Doesn�t happen
        > with
        > all shows but certainly with dramas.
        >

        > Re: Mork And Mindy. �Happy Days� was hardly
        > an intentional spin-off. Over the years, it just goes to show that the
        > bosses
        > don�t know their product neither.
        >

        > Re: Lost In Space. The main problem with
        > the first season was it was too bland. Family life in space with 50s
        > standards.
        > Harris� spin just made him stand out. Had he interacted with the family
        > like
        > that and they responded accordingly, things might have improved for them as
        > well.
        >

        > Re: ST-TNG. Do remember, Dino, most of us
        > here do know the back stories of why people stayed or left TV shows. The
        > point
        > I was making that no one on the BBC spotted that they had been given the
        > shows
        > out of order from the USA and just kept it that way.
        >

        > If you list to audio commentaries on
        > current shows, not only are they filmed out of order but some scenes are
        > filmed
        > much later as well. The reason why the opening show, and isn�t just done
        > with �Who�,
        > isn�t filmed first is because it allows a new lead to get a handle on the
        > character which can be applied to the opening episode. When a later story
        > looks
        > a little generic, you can work out the filming and might not mind so much
        > compared to having the opening story and think that�s far too bland.
        > Impressions do last after all. As long as the viewing order is adhered to,
        > it shouldn�t
        > cause a problem.

      • British 2010 Promo
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
          Yeah me 2 why wont they DVD Garrisons Guerillas as they did Combat, McHales Navy etc alone

[...]

          Geoff

          ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
            Geoff,

            I don't know how they aired shows in the UK, but in the US even into the late '80s and '90s, when the First-Run episodes of a show ended, for the rest of the year the broadcasting channel filled the same time slot with re-runs of the show's "current" season's episodes (occasionally a show would throw in a re-run from a previous season, but that wasn't the norm). As I mentioned, it gave viewers a chance to catch an episode (or several) that they'd missed during the first-run.

            Even 'Search' saw re-runs on NBC until I think August 1973 when it then vanished forever (in the US, at least). Even as late as 1999, 'Team Knight Rider' (a UPN One-Season Wonder, fall 1998 to spring 1999) continued in re-runs on UPN after its season ended until late August 1999.

            I do miss those days, and I think (just MHO) that in this digital age, there are too many channels and too many shows the networks are trying to squeeze on air, that they've stopped the off-season re-runs, replacing the end-of-season break with other new shows until it's time to air new episode again - thus making there be no such thing as an "off-season" time anymore, hence those day-long marathons I mentioned earlier so people can have a chance to catch something they might have missed.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 17, 2013
              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, British 2010 Promo <stephenrusell@...> wrote:

              > Yeah me 2 why wont they DVD Garrisons Guerillas as they did Combat, McHales Navy etc alone

              Years ago I read that repeats of Garrisons Guerillas were extremely popular in China for some reason. Just did a search, it's mentioned in the link below. Here's a quote:

              "The funniest thing about `Garrison's Gorillas' was that the Shanghai Public Security Bureau gave it a Security Award," Zhan remembered. "Every night that it aired, the crime rate nationwide went down significantly. It was so popular even the criminals stayed home to watch it."

              http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2010/06/pengyou/
            • David Marks
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
                That should be flattering to Ron Harper to know his old
                TV series has that kind of effect.

                     End Run,

                     David in MA