Re: [probe_control] Mystery File articles on Probe/Search

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2013
      And it is funny for us to sit here and know so many of the answers the
      readers of that blog are asking about the show. One thing I like about the
      blog is the beautiful simplicity of the description for the mid-season
      changes: "They tried to Quinn Martinize the show."

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2013
        "They tried to Quinn Martinize the show."

        Yeah, I caught that, one of their better lines. :)

        But the changes were at NBC's behest as Cannon, the competition, was a Quinn Martin production. Even with the format changes, though, Search still had a sci-fi look to it because of Probe Control, the scanner, and the viewscreen.

        On Hugh's TV Legends interview, which we found and discussed a few years ago, I guess he and the production team were stung by the critics who decided Search was a rip-off of The Man From UNCLE, that it was too far-out, that it was too full of gimmicks, that it was cliched, that it aimed toward the kids even though it was on late, etc.

        Probe/Search started out as a ambitious personal vision of Leslie Stevens. When it came time to start designing and creating everything, compromises had to be made. Stevens' vision may have been too extravagant to get everything on the air the way he originally envisioned it.

        Remember John Strong told us the original idea was to call the show 1999, that it would be in the future, and that a Probe agent was someone who could go places and do things no one else could. Evidently there just wasn't the budget and the ability to go that way, so things got pared down big time. Not unlike some of the problems Roddenberry had when he first put Star Trek together.

        As Search turned out, they dated themselves to 1972, and the plots seemed like retreads of things we had already seen in other formula private eye shows, just with the addition of the Apollo era telemetry and two-way communication. And the critics were unimpressed. And the Probe Control idea was probably too unbelievable for most viewers.

        The earliest episodes do have a nice energy and confidence about them, even if there is a lack of logic at times. But as things went on, changes came about, and not all for the better. Eventually they thought the solution was to de-emphasize Probe Control and have the agent do more and more on his own, which appealed to the ego of the stars, but also sorta defeated the purpose of the format.

        I think what we fans really liked about the series was that we saw the *potential* of what the show could be. The episodes themselves were not all that spectacular, it was the unrealized potential which we felt could have been reached, but it generally wasn't.

        We fans were always curious about why the various changes were made, and we did not find out about the many behind the scenes problems until many years later. In a way, it is amazing that 23 episodes were made, considering all the things which were working against the series.

        I guess it was the combination of network and studio interference, actor interference, critic interference, and so on and on. By the time they decided they should try to please everyone, the episodes became more bland, more standardized, more "Quinn Martinized," even though there were a few good ones among the final eight.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
            I agree...thank you, Don, for posting all the photos and explanations. They were great fun to look through.

            Marta

            http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!

            All we are saying...is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon

            "With polls showing a very tight race, the final weeks of the campaign are a textbook example of what this great experiment called “American democracy” is all about: two opposing political parties, each with valid positions, spending hundreds of millions of dollars on comically simplistic radio and TV ads designed by consultants to terrify ill-informed halfwits." Dave Barry, in his "2012 in Review" article.