hardboard and housing

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2013
      Hello
      Dino

      Re: hardboard. I said a similar thing about
      one of the snowspeeder from �The Empire Strikes Back�. It would be impractical to
      build out of metal, purely from a weight point of view.

      The walls of the original TARDIS were
      actually blown plastic on hardboard as I recall.

      As to Search Control. You need to think
      budget. With a lot of shows, some of the best tricks is done by doing it cheap.
      Having extras costs money. Blue screen, even back then was even expensive. Even
      your fellow Americans watched the cost. At most, this is an incidental shot in
      the widescreen. Cheaper is better. As I said, either a few enlarged photos and
      lights would be enough. Likewise, backshortening can make a lot of a small
      place, even better when it�s in the dark. The lit episodes at the end of the
      series, if photographed in the same room, would indicate just how small the
      stage actually was.

      I never said that the Bates house was never
      used by anyone else, just that no one would have the nerve to take it down. I
      suspect if the studio closed, it would be sold and moved elsewhere.

      Hello
      Don

      Re: Bates house, not to be confused with
      the motel, is kind of iconic, isn�t it?

      Re: The Ullman house. We should also
      consider if the back garden where Lockwood enjoyed his struddle was the same
      place as the front of the house. I agree it would make sense but it shouldn�t
      be forgotten.

      Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

      Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the world
      and they look to what we do!

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22, 2013
        Hi Geoff: Back in 1983, I got to interview Robert Bloch and one of the items he told us was that the Psycho house had been torn down and removed at one point. It was rebuilt only after the studio discovered that there was a market for possible sequels. :)

        It is interesting, though, I actually didn't realize how many other productions ended up using such an iconic location as the Psycho house, and there were many.

        You do raise an interesting point about the Ullman house as to the possibility that the scenes in the back of the house could have been filmed at a different location altogether. This can happen and sometimes you notice it in other productions.

        In this case, though, we can do matchups and see that at least a number of the shots of the rear of the house match up with what we saw of the front of the house. As with these vidcaps:

        Scene from rear of the Ullman house:
        http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/Probe049.html

        We see part of the rear of the house behind Lockwood:
        http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/Probe051.html

        Front of the house when Lockwood climbed the roof:
        http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/Probe080.html

        The house was also previously used several months to a year earlier in the Name of the Game episode, "All the Old Familiar Faces," with guest star Burgess Meredith appearing inside and outside of the house with Gene Barry.

        Footage of the house was also seen in a Night Gallery episode with Leonard Nimoy, but that was unfortunately a stock footage situation, footage taken from NOTG. The house was also used in an early first season Mannix episode.

        So far we haven't uncovered enough clues (i.e. street signs, etc.) to indicate where the Ullman house was located. That may be a good question someone could ask of John Strong, that is, if any follow up interviews are planned.