Re: Game, lot and match

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
      Geoff: The courthouse square in "Back to the Future" is part of the Universal Studios backlot. The clock tower reportedly was built for the 1962 feature, "To Kill a Mockingbird." The area has been damaged by a number of fires over the years, but rebuilt after each incident.

      The first episode of The Twilight Zone, "Where is Everybody?" was also filmed there.

      More info plus a list of productions that have used the set:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courthouse_Square

      ---

      The Norman Bates Psycho House and the nearby Bates Motel:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho_(film)

      "Hitchcock's original Bates Motel and Psycho House movie set buildings, which were constructed on the same stage as Lon Chaney Sr.'s The Phantom of the Opera, are still standing at Universal Studios in Universal City near Hollywood and are a regular attraction on the studio's tour..."

      "The look of the Bates house was modeled on Edward Hopper's painting The House by The Railroad..." (Picture included with the wiki article.)

      ---

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Tour

      "The Psycho house was one of the big draws of the Universal Tram Tour, back in 1964, and has continued to be instantly recognizable in recent years. In 1984, the Psycho house was used in the Knight Rider episode 'Halloween Knight'. The episode mentions of a man named Norman Baines who is supposed to be the murder suspect at a Halloween party. Also, when Michael Knight, Bonnie and KITT arrive at the house, Michael mentions that 'Boy, this place looks really familiar' before he says 'Nah!'."

      ---

      This link has much info and many photos:
      http://www.retroweb.com/universal_psycho.html

      "The 'Psycho House' became an iconic symbol of eerieness, and has appeared in countless films (including two Psycho sequels), television shows and advertisements. The set still stands on the Universal backlot fifty years later, although modified and twice relocated over the years. The original Bates Motel set no longer exists, but a reconstructed version of the motel has accompanied the home on the backlot and as a part of the studio tour for decades..."

      They include a photo of the "Psycho House" as it was originally constructed, with no right side or rear wall.

      The house was used in the 1964 film, "Invitation to a Gunfighter." Also in an episode of Laredo, Night Gallery ("A Question of Fear"), Emergency! ("Brushfire"), at least one episode of Boris Karloff's Thriller ("The Purple Room"), and (restored) in the 1976 miniseries "The Captains & The Kings." There was a replica of the house which appeared in the Chevy Chase comedy, "Modern Problems."

      Even more about the Psycho House in this interesting photostream:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/universalstonecutter/collections/72157621686066420/

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
        Actually, Geoff,

        The "Bates Motel" was used in at least one of the original 'Knight Rider' episodes ("Halloween Knight", I think - don't quote me on that, but I do remember an episode with Michael stopping and giving the house a double-take, then going, "Nah..." before running up to it. I think it was also used in one of 'The Fall Guy' episodes.

        And I can't remember which ('The Munsters' or 'The Addams Family'), but one of them had their pilot episodes filmed at the Bates Motel house.

        It's probably been used for other things, but I'm just not aware of them. (If anyone else knows of something the house was used for, please sing out!)

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
          Okay, someone beat me to it (and confirmed my thought that it was the "Halloween Knight" episodes of 'Knight Rider'! Yay!).

          I guess this is what happens when you play catch-up with e-mails after you've been down for the count for a few days.

          o O
          ~