Re: [probe_control] studio backlots

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2013
      The very simple answer is that they evolved as the need arose and the
      projects had the budget to build the facade. Then later projects would
      come along and make use of them. TV shows would build if something special
      was needed, and then with each new season they might add to it with fresh
      budget money. Can't remember if I learned about it here, but another great
      site is http://www.retroweb.com/40acres.html . One of the location sites
      there was Stalag 13 from Hogan's Heroes. There is a first season picture
      and you can see that the back and sides of Klink's office are undeveloped.
      But a second season picture shows that they added the entrance to Klink's
      quarters to the side of that building facade. In 1975, some movie used the
      prison camp set for some movie.

      The facade for 1313 Mockingbird Lane was later used as an ordinary house in
      other productions, including the home in the sitcom Shirley. What I don't
      know is if the "house" was there before The Munsters.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2013
        John: Thanks for the link regarding the 40 Acres backlot. That was where The Andy Griffith Show filmed the exteriors for Mayberry, the Courthouse (Sheriff Taylor's office), Floyd's Barber Shop, etc.

        (Again, we should be clear that these backlot buildings are just facades for the most part. The interior scenes, again, for the most part, were filmed on soundstages elsewhere. In some rare cases there were exterior facades which may have had a certain amount of interior detail, but again, that was the exception.)

        http://www.retroweb.com/40acres_desilu_years.html

        40 Acres was used in the Star Trek episodes "Miri" (they beam down not far from the front of Sheriff Taylor's office), "Return of the Archons," and "City on the Edge of Forever" (Kirk and Edith walk in front of Floyd's Barber Shop in one scene). "Errand of Mercy" and "The Cage" also made used of 40 Acres (the Arab Village portion).

        Landing party in "Miri":
        http://www.retroweb.com/40acres/40acres_star_trek_cast.jpg

        Mayberry exteriors, the "Miri" beamdown was in front of the building facade marked "Hotel":
        http://www.retroweb.com/40acres/40acres_Mayberry_detail.jpg

        http://www.retroweb.com/40acres_tour.html
        http://www.retroweb.com/40acres_tour_pt2.html

        Kirk & Edith walk past Floyd's Barber Shop:
        http://www.retroweb.com/40acres/floyds_barber_shop_trek.jpg

        In episodes of The Green Hornet, you can see the Black Beauty pass in front of Sheriff Taylor's office, the building with the columns out front. The first season of Mission Impossible also made use of Mayberry exteriors in "A Spool There Was," for example. I Spy reportedly filmed their episode, "Cops and Robbers," at 40 Acres.

        Regarding Munster Mansion, wiki reports that the house was originally built for the 1946 movie "So Goes My Love." More at this link:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_Mansion