Re: [probe_control] everyone's coming out Telosian these days

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2013
      Remember also, part of the problem was while they had the time and budget
      to have other teams in the background in all directions in Control in the
      pilot, they didn't have that luxury in the weekly assembly line grind of
      the series. So they added consoles, and little flashing lights in the
      distance to represent...something.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2013
        Hello
        John

        I�m not entirely sure if the background
        controls were extras and lights. Considering the room was dark, a few
        well-placed mirrors could cheaply give the illusion of more teams.

        Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

        Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the world
        and they look to what we do!

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2013
          Geoff,

          The Talosians would have had gotten an image of Vena as an adult - from her mind - because she was an adult on the ship's passenger list, as mentioned by "Number One" in the dialogue. The suggestion that she was a child "...born almost as [they] crashed" was part of the survivors' encampment illusion. Therefor Vena would have known what she looked like as an adult, so the Talosians could have pulled that from her mind, once it cleared, to give her that illusion of what she originally looked like.

          We know the Talosians couldn't read through strong emotions such as hate and anger, so it's theoretically possible they couldn't read through a mix of strong emotions: pain, fear, confusion, worry - all of which one would expect Vena to have going on in her head almost simultaneously, knowing the ship was crashing, surviving the crash even just barely, her body mangled and teetering on the brink of death, the rest of her fellow passengers dead and no doubt horribly mangled (which she may have possibly seen, though we can't be sure), etc. Such intense emotions would be expected of anyone experiencing what she was supposed to have done. That sort of mix would make it difficult for any telepath to read through. Theoretically.

          As to Vena. The Telosians would only have
          an image of her as a child not as an adult had they done that. Pulling memories
          wouldn�t have made much difference whether she was unconscious or not. From all
          accounts from the episodes, they often told the humans what they expected to

          *************** Geoff Willmetts editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk and other

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2013
            I think those three rows of "ceiling lights", which "tapered" towards a vanishing point no matter from which angle they shot the dark Control was intended to create a forced perspective, thus giving the illusion that the floor where "our" Control Unit One was located was a huge cavernous space, thus accommodating the other PROBE Control Units that were seen in the Pilot. (The lighter setting of the Pilot set the stage of multiple Units working on the same floor of the WS Building; the forced perspective in the darker setting of the series gave viewers to believe those other Units were still there, just darkened, to bring more focus on Cameron's Unit One.)

            Mirrors may have worked, but also would cause problems with filming angles and accidentally catching the filming crew in the mirrors. Of course we don't know how large the sound stage was where the first 15 eps were filmed, and if it was large enough then the mirrors could have been placed far enough back that even if they had caught the filming crew, it could have looked like another PROBE Control Unit in the background.

            Again, all guesswork, but hopefully plausible.

            End Run,