more than one hero

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
      Hello
      Dino

      Re: WW2 Florida. Undoubtedly short-sighted
      stupidity. Didn�t they know there was a war on??

      Re: Prop handlers. Considering the
      importance of the TV scanner and its size, they would have had to be careful
      not to lose it. They also had prop scanners for general use so they must have
      known there would be problems. An object that size is far more likely to bounce
      and roll when dropped than crumble or break. I think we need hard evidence here
      than speculation.

      Hello
      Mike S

      With your replicas, did you mould the
      circlet and bars as one piece and do you think that is what they did with the
      original??

      Hello
      John - Looks like you�ll also have to
      include comparing photos of the scanners as well.

      Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

      Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the world
      and they look to what we do!

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
        Geoff,

        Unless we can get more insight from Mr. Strong into how the hero scanner was actual assembled, how many they heroes they made, and if any had to be repaired during the show's run, then speculation is all we have to go on.

        And with including comparing photos of scanners, we should include that lensless scanner from that 'Cannon' episode (if we can find one). That scene alone proves the lens could be removed or that it fell off at some point. That little housing would have been a delicate part of the prop, which is why I'm speculating that some light tack-soldering was done so those rods could help hold the lens housing in place, rather than just allowing the lens to be "stuck" to the prop via the lens base and hoping for the best. (Again this speculation might explain the rusting around those rods where they meet the lens housing as depending on the environment where the scanner was stored, the tin in the solder could have started to rust.)

        The lensless scanner from 'Cannon', depending on how clear of a still we could grab from that scene, might shed more light on those areas of the rods where the lens was.

        include comparing photos of the scanners as well.

        Geoff

        *************** Geoff Willmetts editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk and other
        suffixes ****************

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
          Hello
          Dino

          Without seeing the Cannon episode, I wouldn’t
          be able to tell if it was which version of the prop.

          Rods?!! Bars you mean.

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
            Geoff,

            Scanner in 'Cannon': That's why I suggested we try to find a screen grab from that episode - so we can tell exactly what they used and what we're looking at. (If anyone has a clear memory of that one or has seen that ep recently, please chime in.)

            Rods: I'm referring to that thin object that runs on either side of the scanner's lens housing and meets with the main housing at those little holes. In the ebay hero scanner they are clearly thin rods. In this case it may just be semantics: rod vs. bar and one's definition of each... a long, thin, cylindrical, wire-type of object. If you look closely at the extreme close-up from the "PROBE" pilot you can see those "rods" are the same as on the ebay scanner: thin wire-like objects. They don't look like flat plates or the like.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
              I just want to see if it is a scanner at all. Folks were saying the
              scanner showed up in an episode of "V", but I checked the DVD, and it is
              not the scanner.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
                Hello
                everyone

                I wonder what happened to Lockwood�s rope
                belt and his lockpick buckle.

                To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                From: actingman6@...
                Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:17:38 -0500

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 25, 2013
                  Back in message 3854, "atlantic92001" said they had a tape of that Cannon episode, "Quasar Kill," which briefly shows a scanner prop. But we never heard from them again about the episode. If they still have a tape of the episode and can send a frame grab to us, that would be great. If they can't make a frame grab, the next best is to make a tape dub and mail it to actingman or someone else on the list. Or use a digital camera and take a couple pics off the screen. That last method is not the best quality, but we should be able to make something of the image(s).

                  The Cannon episode, "Quasar Kill," is listed on the 1channel site, which is one I am not familiar with. Maybe someone can get the episode to play and get a frame grab? The scanner, as far as I remember, appears during Act One.
                  http://www.1channel.ch/watch-581108-Cannon-The-Quasar-Kill

                  --- In probe_control, "LambuLambu@..." wrote:

                  > Geoff,
                  >

                  > Scanner in 'Cannon': That's why I suggested we try to find a screen grab from that episode - so we can tell exactly what they used and what we're looking at. (If anyone has a clear memory of that one or has seen that ep recently, please chime in.)
                  >

                  > Rods: I'm referring to that thin object that runs on either side of the scanner's lens housing and meets with the main housing at those little holes. In the ebay hero scanner they are clearly thin rods. In this case it may just be semantics: rod vs. bar and one's definition of each... a long, thin, cylindrical, wire-type of object. If you look closely at the extreme close-up from the "PROBE" pilot you can see those "rods" are the same as on the ebay scanner: thin wire-like objects. They don't look like flat plates or the like.
                  >

                  > Dino.
                • kc8nqa
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
                    Hello Dino, All,

                    I have to respectfully dis-agree about about the PROBE close-up Scanner. I do agree they are clearly round - through the casing holes in the eBay Scanner.

                    What I see is that there are supports that run along side of the flat bars that are on each side of the lens. You can actually see one that appears to be slightly higher than the (Flat) bars.

                    Wonderin if anyone has a clear screen grab of the PROBE Scanner?

                    Have a good day All,

                    Mike S.