Re: [probe_control] Looking out for a hero

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2013
      Geoff,

      Florida in WWII: Short-sighted stupidity. The then Florida State officials refused to obey the Federal coastal blackout order because the officials didn't want the blackout to adversely affect the state's tourism. As a result thousands of men lost their lives because their merchant ships (headed for the UK with supplies and troops) were silhouetted against the lights and made perfect targets for the close-in operating U-Boats. German lives were also lost because not all of those U-Boats got away; there are still some off the Florida coast that were sunk by either Navy ships or Coast Guard Cutters.

      Prop handlers: Not all handle the props with the care they deserve. I've known people in the TV industry, mostly in the behind the scenes aspect, and they all say that while some prop handlers do take good care of the props, the majority just toss them in or out of the storage cases with the attitude that "they always have extras" if one gets broken. Then there are the actors as well. Not all are gentle with the props, not even with the stunt props. Friends I have who worked on the Trek DS9 and Voyager series said many times some of the actors would play "quick draw" with the phaser props between takes, and more often than not the prop would end up flying across the room and have to be replaced with a spare, or hurriedly repaired before the next take. So the handling can be rough on both sides of the camera. Again, I'm not saying that is what happened to the hero scanner and it needed some repairs, but it was suggested and it is a possibility.