Looking out for a hero

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2013
      Hello
      John

      How are you going to define hero scanner
      usage?? It might we worth including perimeters for one scanners were destroyed to
      keep track of all the spares and as you point out, when there were multiple
      PROBEs in a story rather than having to look at each story for different usage.

      This is really something we ought to do
      collectively when the final product is released.

      Hello
      Jim

      Re: back-ups. Oh fur shure. Don�t forget,
      you�re the one John Strong told he had the hero scanner. Is it worth
      interrogating about the damage to it if for no other reason than to see what
      caused the damage??

      Does anyone know if all three different
      Search stories were filmed at the same time or one after the other?? It would
      also give some insight into when the hero scanner would be needed the most
      or/and whether stock footage was filmed.

      Re: S Trek phasers. The same applied to the
      tri-corders as well. I suppose the top-grade phaser really did disintegrate
      people. :-)

      Hello
      Dino

      I suppose it depends on how you define
      stupidity. If it was done out of ignorance then it�s purely thoughtless stupidity.
      If it�s done out of self-interest without looking at the bigger consequences
      then it would be myopic or short-sighted stupidity. One of these you might
      eventually forgive but not the other.

      Dunno if it�s US or UK, but prop handlers look
      after the props well because it takes time to make new ones. John Strong said
      in Jim�s interview that they used cheaper ones a lot of the time because they
      kept falling off the magnets, so they would have kept the hero one for the real
      close ups.

      John and Jim will attest that the PROBE
      pilot I had recorded in the UK was a better than good reproduction and that it
      was off a VCR to DVD recording.

      Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

      Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the world
      and they look to what we do!

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2013
        Geoff,

        Florida in WWII: Short-sighted stupidity. The then Florida State officials refused to obey the Federal coastal blackout order because the officials didn't want the blackout to adversely affect the state's tourism. As a result thousands of men lost their lives because their merchant ships (headed for the UK with supplies and troops) were silhouetted against the lights and made perfect targets for the close-in operating U-Boats. German lives were also lost because not all of those U-Boats got away; there are still some off the Florida coast that were sunk by either Navy ships or Coast Guard Cutters.

        Prop handlers: Not all handle the props with the care they deserve. I've known people in the TV industry, mostly in the behind the scenes aspect, and they all say that while some prop handlers do take good care of the props, the majority just toss them in or out of the storage cases with the attitude that "they always have extras" if one gets broken. Then there are the actors as well. Not all are gentle with the props, not even with the stunt props. Friends I have who worked on the Trek DS9 and Voyager series said many times some of the actors would play "quick draw" with the phaser props between takes, and more often than not the prop would end up flying across the room and have to be replaced with a spare, or hurriedly repaired before the next take. So the handling can be rough on both sides of the camera. Again, I'm not saying that is what happened to the hero scanner and it needed some repairs, but it was suggested and it is a possibility.

        stupidity. If it was done out of ignorance then it�s purely thoughtless
        stupidity.
        If it�s done out of self-interest without looking at the bigger consequences
        then it would be myopic or short-sighted stupidity. One of these you might
        eventually forgive but not the other.

        Dunno if it�s US or UK, but prop handlers look
        after the props well because it takes time to make new ones. John Strong said
        in Jim�s interview that they used cheaper ones a lot of the time because they
        kept falling off the magnets, so they would have kept the hero one for the real
        close ups.

        John and Jim will attest that the PROBE
        pilot I had recorded in the UK was a better than good reproduction and that it
        was off a VCR to DVD recording.

        Geoff

        *************** Geoff Willmetts editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk and other