Re: [probe_control] Mid-Grade Scanner Prop?

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      Had to be something. I need to dig out the 400 DPI scan of this image and
      see who has what on.
      http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/172var.html

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
        Geoff,

        In the Florida example, it could be considered as self-interest, but when it was costing thousands of lives needlessly for that self-interest, it's stupidity. Just no other way of putting it.

        As for the hero scanner, I realize that it was for extreme close-ups only, however it was handled by props handlers who don't always take the best care of the props they handle. Unless they only used stock footage of the Pilot's extreme close-ups, the hero scanner prop was most likely handled on a daily basis. It is possible - not saying that it happened, just that it was possible - that at some point the prop suffered damage and had to be lightly tack soldered around the lens housing. (As I mentioned someone else here has also suggested a repair may have been made to the prop at some point.)

        The repairs would no doubt have been carried out quite carefully so they wouldn't be noticed on screen. And let's face it, when 'Search' aired, the close-ups of the scanner didn't last very long, the film and TV resolution wasn't as sharp as they are today, and unless you were very wealthy you had no way of video recording the episodes back then and therefor couldn't pause a playback to look closely at the scanner details. Even in the '80s and '90s, before the dawn of the DVD, pausing a VCR tape to look at the detail of something didn't give that great of an image thanks to the blur of motion, unless you managed to catch what you wanted to see when it wasn't moving at all.

        Just trying to account for the rusty spots on the prop, and the tin in the old solder "could" cause that after 40+ years.

        aspect. Your Florida example sounds like seeing self-interest over anything
        else.

        Re: Hero Scanner. Jim Alexander will
        probably confirm this but the hero scanner was only used for close-ups, all the
        rest were stunt doubles and these were invariably lost or damaged when they
        fell off the magnet. Considering it filled the screen, you certainly couldn’t
        have any front damage showing.

        Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

        Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the world
        and they look to what we do!