Re: [probe_control] change and solder

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      I need to get the Archive release on the laptop and do some freeze frames
      to see how often the hero was used. From looking at the film clips all
      these years, I always thought the hero was used whenever there was no quick
      movements, because there are so many shots where you see a lot more detail
      than is present on the stunt prop. The episodes, when they come out, will
      also require some freeze frame examination.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
        Re: Hero Scanner. Jim Alexander will probably confirm this but the hero scanner was only used for close-ups, all the rest were stunt doubles and these were invariably lost or damaged when they fell off the magnet. Considering it filled the screen, you certainly couldn’t have any front damage showing.

        ===============

        Well, I'm sure that John and Don will confirm that *nearly* everything in Hollywood has a back-up, to assure that 'the show must go on,' in the case of something being damaged, destroyed or lost. So, who knows if there was, in fact, more than one 'hero' scanner. I would propose that it's entirely possible that there was more than one.

        And that stunt scanner (in John Strong's eBay auction) looks pretty bad--and I don't just mean 'with age.' It really bears only the smallest relation to the hero scanner.

        In fact, now that I think about it, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a 'mid-grade' scanner that was used for medium shots, and the like. In fact, such a item might have been the most oft-used of all.

        Don will confirm that the first STAR TREK series had a variety of Phaser props. From stunt versions that were little more than crudely-painted, hand-carved throwabout props... to mid-grade Phasers that were designed to look better than the stunt props (but not as good as the 'hero)... to, of course, the hero--used mostly for close-ups. In fact, I was gifted with a meticulously-recreated mid-grade Phaser prop a few years ago.

        I say all this to propose that, from the rougher-than-rough looks of Strong's 'stunt' scanner, and the judicious use of the 'hero,' there almost HAD to be a mid-grade scanner prop.

        Thoughts?

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
          Had to be something. I need to dig out the 400 DPI scan of this image and
          see who has what on.
          http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/172var.html

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
            Geoff,

            In the Florida example, it could be considered as self-interest, but when it was costing thousands of lives needlessly for that self-interest, it's stupidity. Just no other way of putting it.

            As for the hero scanner, I realize that it was for extreme close-ups only, however it was handled by props handlers who don't always take the best care of the props they handle. Unless they only used stock footage of the Pilot's extreme close-ups, the hero scanner prop was most likely handled on a daily basis. It is possible - not saying that it happened, just that it was possible - that at some point the prop suffered damage and had to be lightly tack soldered around the lens housing. (As I mentioned someone else here has also suggested a repair may have been made to the prop at some point.)

            The repairs would no doubt have been carried out quite carefully so they wouldn't be noticed on screen. And let's face it, when 'Search' aired, the close-ups of the scanner didn't last very long, the film and TV resolution wasn't as sharp as they are today, and unless you were very wealthy you had no way of video recording the episodes back then and therefor couldn't pause a playback to look closely at the scanner details. Even in the '80s and '90s, before the dawn of the DVD, pausing a VCR tape to look at the detail of something didn't give that great of an image thanks to the blur of motion, unless you managed to catch what you wanted to see when it wasn't moving at all.

            Just trying to account for the rusty spots on the prop, and the tin in the old solder "could" cause that after 40+ years.

            aspect. Your Florida example sounds like seeing self-interest over anything
            else.

            Re: Hero Scanner. Jim Alexander will
            probably confirm this but the hero scanner was only used for close-ups, all the
            rest were stunt doubles and these were invariably lost or damaged when they
            fell off the magnet. Considering it filled the screen, you certainly couldn’t
            have any front damage showing.

            Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

            Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the world
            and they look to what we do!