Re: [probe_control] metal and moulds

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21 11:36 PM
      Geoff,

      It pains me to say this, but the US has always lagged behind the UK in just about everything: rifled barrels in guns (small arms as well as artillery and shipboard guns), Fresnel lenses in lighthouses, coastal blackouts during both World Wars, using convoys and escorts (again both WWs), giving women the right to vote... The only solder I've ever known and used was what I described and it was used in all electronics. So I have no doubt that if solder was needed and used for the scanner then it would have been one of the two most common solder mixes used for such small work: the 60/40 or the 63/37 tin/lead.

      Solder over here didn't start being made with aluminum replacing the lead, and copper and other alloys replacing the tin until about 2006. True, lead does not rust, however tin does, and the tin ratio in the solder was the higher content of the two. And as I've said, I've seen solder develop rust over time. (Some of our shipboard equipment that was on the bridge and not environmentally controlled, and didn't have its circuit boards covered in "conformal coating" - basically thick liquid plastic dip - actually had circuit boards develop such rust that components would just fall off as you removed the boards because their leads, and the circuit runs on the boards where they were soldered to had rusted away.)

      The only other solder available is what they refer to as "silver solder" and is used mostly for brazing large items, such as copper plumbing pipes and heavy grounding straps. This sort of soldering takes a great deal of heat to melt it and if used on something as small as the scanner, the scanner would show signs of heat discoloration because you need an acetylene torch/blow lamp to reach the heat needed to melt the solder (well over 800F) and it's not a "pin-point" heat application as would be the 63/37 where a "pencil point" soldering iron could be used on a very tiny spot, and its melting point is only about 360F.

      And like you, I'm curious to hear what Mike has to say about his works of art (if he does say anything).

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24 12:03 PM
        Hello
        Dino

        Re: Rods. I had another look at the picture
        showed recently. I�m sure I�ve seen a picture where they reached down into the
        housing. That might explain different versions. A better word would be struts.