Re:

  • British 2010 Promo
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2013
      side note: many Star Trek TOS did guest star in It Takes a Thief episodes & Gene
      L Coon wrote some episodes.

      Its on Antenna TV, Saturday 2 PM PST.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2013
        --- In probe_control, British 2010 Promo wrote:
        > side note: many Star Trek TOS did guest star in
        > It Takes a Thief episodes & Gene L Coon wrote some
        > episodes.
        >
        > Its on Antenna TV, Saturday 2 PM PST.
        ------------------------

        Thanks for that mention. I'm glad someone is running that Robert Wagner spy-oriented series. :)

        If you put the words Thief and Stevens in the little search window of this Yahoo group, you will find past posts where we discussed "It Takes A Thief" as it relates to "Search."

        The main thing is that Leslie Stevens directed the pilot movie, aka "Magnificent Thief."

        ---

        From one of my past posts:

        According to the imdb, Stevens also co-wrote the pilot script with Roland Kibbee.
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0828562/

        During the Thief pilot movie, there is a cameo scene with Doug McClure and James Drury as airline ticket agents, yet they react to each other as if they were doing a scene from "The Virginian."

        According to imdb, Stevens was executive producer of at least six episodes of "The Virginian" during the 1970-71 season, which predated SEARCH by one year. (The imdb may also be incomplete or inaccurate as the case may be.)

        ---

        Leslie Stevens was also one of several producers/writers for the "Thief" series along with Gene Coon, Jack Arnold, and others.

        As Jim Alexander pointed out, since Stevens co-wrote and directed the pilot, along with producing and writing a number of episodes, (as well as directing the second episode, "It Takes One To Know One,") he was greatly "responsible for setting THIEF's tone, and sending it on its way."

        The first season of "It Takes a Thief" is very similar in tone and presentation to the first 15 episodes and pilot for "Search." As John Strong told Jim, it was the romantic crime caper type story which Stevens favored. As we all know, NBC wanted "Search" to be more serious and gritty, apparently so it could compete better with "Cannon," so that is the way the last eight "new format" episodes went.

        Interesting to note that after Stevens left "Thief," that series became more serious at times as well. But I also notice that neither "Thief" or "Search" became campy and silly the way "The Man From UNCLE" and "Batman" eventually did.