Re: PROBE cuisine

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
      --- In probe_control, gf willmetts wrote:
      > ...Just to get you all scurrying back to your
      > own copies, have a look at the scene where Lockwood
      > and Streeter first arrive at that Austrian
      > outdoor restaurant. Considering
      > that Streeter had never been there,
      > how did he know about their cuisine??
      > A sure signal that he'd been there
      > to dine with his wife.

      Hi Geoff: That is an interesting catch. If Streeter hadn't worded things as carefully as he had, it definitely would/should have raised some eyebrows, if not with Lockwood, then certainly Cameron. Hmmm. How does he know so much about what is on the menu? Has he actually been here before? But it was overlooked.

      ---

      The script for "Probe" is at the website.
      http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Scripts/Probe.txt

      STREETER: I hear they have delicate little Draunschweiger sausages in the mountains. They say you can taste wild flowers in the wines...

      LOCKWOOD: We've got to keep moving. I'LL get the map.

      CAMERON: A half bottle... on the way back... just to compare it with the Rhine wines.

      ---

      That was two rather particular menu items for Streeter to have known or heard about, even assuming that he was a world traveler as a diamond expert. The is the sort of little clue that might have stood out for Columbo, for example. :)

      It shows how sometimes little telling details can be overlooked in the process of working a case.

      Interesting also that there are differences here and there between the script and what actually aired. In any case, notice that Lockwood was seemingly preoccupied with finding a map, and that Cameron got distracted by the mention of wine. :)

      Plus, "Draunschweiger" has to be a misprint. It is actually Braunschweiger, which is a type of liverwurst or pork liver sausage which can be found in most delis or meat counters. :)
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braunschweiger
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
        Since he says "he heard," couldn't he have gotten that from a gourmet or
        wine guidebook to the Austrian Alps?

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
          Yes. Absolutely. Nowadays, most will say they saw it on the Internets. :)

          ----

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
            Hello Don

            Being an
            editor often means I pay attention to details. Granted Streeter could have been
            generalising but it suddenly occurred to me that he supposedly hadn�t been to
            Austria so how would he know about this particular restaurant.

            People often
            miss things in conversation or not spot any significance. It wasn�t until the
            last act that Lockwood put things together and then realised that he couldn�t
            openly ask Cameron.

            Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

            Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only because the first is a commerical site, in the world
            and they look to what we do!

            To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
            From: dghprobe3@...
            Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 18:50:39 +0000