Re: [probe_control] Everything Old Is New Again, Pt. 2

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
      Thanks for the vintage-y links, Rob! :)

      NBC has greenlighted a pilot for a new "Ironside" series:

      http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-orders-ironside-drama-pilot-418038

      And Thunderbirds Are Go!..... again:

      http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26114/-thunderbirds-are-go-for-a-tv-reboot

      Rob McNay
      Chicago IL

    • Robert McNay
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
        Yeah, I didn't think I was stretching the group's focus too much with these. :-)

        BTW, got the latest new releases email from WAC. No Search, but the 2nd and
        final season of Harry O is now out.

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
          I am a big fan of Ironside (have all the DVDs.) But I wonder how the show
          will play in this more (but not perfectly) accessible world of tomorrow?

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
            Nothing wrong with stretching the focus...especially as we wait...and
            wait...and wait.

            And Warner Archive is coming out with lots of goodies to keep me from
            squandering my money on things like mortgage, food and clothing.

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
              >... I am a big fan of Ironside (have all the DVDs.) But I wonder how the show

              will play in this more (but not perfectly) accessible world of tomorrow?

              ================

              Would it be wrong to liken something like that to the vintage vs. the new HAWAII FIVE-O? There are vague remnants of the classic series in there, but mostly, it's just louder, sexier and populated with prettier, younger people? ;)

              Case in point: Did anyone see 1973's 'Hookman' on MeTV and 2013's 'Hookman' on CBS, yesterday? :)

              This article says they used many of the same locations. I was wondering about that, because they looked similar to me.
              http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/12/hawaii-five-0-hookman-remake_n_2119355.html

            • Robert McNay
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
                I suspect there will probably less continuity gaffs. I remember frequently
                wondering how Raymund "Orson Welles Ain't Got Nuthin' On Me" Burr and his
                wheelchair got certain places in that show, like a plaza with only stairs into
                it, or out of a building that only had revolving doors in visual range. :-)

                Rob

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
                  Although they didn't do it a lot, they would on occasion throw something in
                  Ironside's face to remind him of his limitations.

                  That was my main question. I know the procedural stories they would do
                  would be far different than what we saw for 8 years on NBC.

                  The same way I knew the re-imagined Galactica would be different in tone
                  from the original...even before I heard any details.

                  Prettier than Barbara Anderson and Elizabeth Baur? Nah...

                  On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Jim Alexander <probecontrol@...>wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > >... I am a big fan of Ironside (have all the DVDs.) But I wonder how the
                  > show
                  >
                  > will play in this more (but not perfectly) accessible world of tomorrow?
                  >
                  > ================
                  >
                  > Would it be wrong to liken something like that to the vintage vs. the new
                  > HAWAII FIVE-O? There are vague remnants of the classic series in there, but
                  > mostly, it's just louder, sexier and populated with prettier, younger
                  > people? ;)
                  >
                  > Case in point: Did anyone see 1973's 'Hookman' on MeTV and 2013's
                  > 'Hookman' on CBS, yesterday? :)
                  >
                  > This article says they used many of the same locations. I was wondering
                  > about that, because they looked similar to me.
                  >
                  > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/12/hawaii-five-0-hookman-remake_n_2119355.html
                  >
                  > Jim Alexander

                • Robert McNay
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
                    This isn't the first time they've brought in the old. There were 2 episodes
                    where Ed Asner resprised his character "August March" from the original series.
                    In the first appearance, as McGarrett and Williams are hauling him around
                    looking for a lead, he askes Steve if he is related to the cop who put him in
                    prison 35 years earlier. McGarrett says yeah, that was his dad. March comments
                    that he was a good cop, a real straight arrow.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 5, 2013
                        Jim: What I found interesting about the original 1973 "Hookman" was that it was directed by SEARCH director Allan Reisner. Mr. Reisner directed two Doug McClure episodes, "Short Circuit" and "Numbered for Death." (Interesting to find that Reisner also directed McClure in a very early 1959 Twilight Zone episode, "Mr. Denton on Doomsday.")

                        I noticed similar camera movements and such. For example, when the Hookman was shown driving around, it was from a low angle within the car, similar to how Jeff Corey was filmed driving about in "Short Circuit."

                        According to imdb, Reisner directed a total of 13 episodes of "Hawaii 5-O." Reisner's imdb page is linked below. Sad to say he passed away in 2004 at age 80.
                        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0718467/

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 6, 2013
                          Thanks very much for the below, Don.

                          Reisner's SEARCH credit escaped me--which is inexcusable, since 'Short Circut' is my favorite episode.

                          Yesterday, I was reviewing credits of the 2013 'Hookman' and the 1973 version, too. Why? Because, unless I missed something, it didn't seem like the original scriptwriters (Greg Olson and Rod Baker) got any screen credit on the new version. Unless, of course, it was on the way-too-small-and-way-too-quick credits at the very end of the episode. ;)

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                            --- In probe_control, John wrote:
                            > I am a big fan of Ironside (have all the DVDs.)
                            > But I wonder how the show will play in this more
                            > (but not perfectly) accessible world of tomorrow?

                            You bring up an interesting point. When Ironside began in the late 1960's, handicap access was a new item for most people to consider. Nowadays, I guess it is something most take for granted. It shows how some things do change over time.

                            Ironside could maintain the wheelchair in a newer version, but the producers may wish to add some other infirmity to his character. Something that occasionally gets in his way, but it is also something he is able to work on and overcome.

                            The original Ironside was a milestone for TV at the time, showing that handicapped people can still contribute to society and need not be discarded, etc.

                            On a different note, I always thought one episode of Ironside had a reference to Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, but it turns out instead to be the wrong Admiral Nelson. Which episode? I did a Google on the terms "Ironside" and "Admiral Nelson stuff," and one result turned up for me.

                            ---

                            Ironside, Season 1, episode 20, "To Kill A Cop"
                            www.tv.com/shows/ironside/to-kill-a-cop-88979/

                            Scroll down to the Quotes section and you will find:

                            Ed: (begins tapping the phone with his hand) Sir, there must be something wrong with the connection. I can't hear a word you're saying.

                            Ironside: Don't give me that Admiral Nelson stuff. I was using the spyglass to the blind eye routine before you kicked pablum.

                            ---

                            Then scroll down to the Allusions section and you will find this:

                            The spyglass to the blind eye routine refers to British Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson's act of insubordination in 1801. When an officer reported to Nelson that the Admiral was giving a signal to cease firing, Nelson put his spyglass to his blind eye, looked toward the Admiral's ship and said, "I really do not see the signal." Nelson eventually won the battle.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                              Hehe. I also thought of VTTBOTS when I heard that name.

                              Unfortunately, I doubt Robert T. Ironside would be the kind of person who
                              would watch Irwin Allen shows.

                              The only genre mention from Ironside is a 1969 or 1970 episode where
                              someone is talking to one of the staff and he mentions different elements
                              coming together to create beauty. They said they heard it on some sci-fi
                              show.

                              That Ironside script was written by one Fred Freiberger. And it was during
                              his tenure on Star Trek that Gene Roddenberry came in and inserted a couple
                              of pages into the script for Is There In Truth No Beauty, dealing with the
                              Vulcan concept of the IDAC. It ticked off Nimoy because he felt it was
                              just an excuse to create a symbol that GR could then sell through his
                              Lincoln Enterprises.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                                IDIC - Infinite Diversity through Infinite Combinations :-)

                                Live long and prosper,

                                Rob

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                                    Wow, I remember seeing that Ironside episode in syndication some years back. In the first few minutes we saw Fred Freiberger's name, and it was Bo Hopkins who basically describes IDIC to someone as something he saw in a sci-fi show. :)

                                    Ironside: Season 5, Episode 19
                                    And Then There Was One (20 Jan. 1972)
                                    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0612372/

                                    There were some other Trek connections in the same episode. Guest stars included Percy Rodriguez ("Court Martial," and the Roddenberry pilot "Genesis II") and Vic Tayback ("A Piece of the Action").

                                    Pre-Search connections included Frank Maxwell ("Moment of Madness") and Pamela Jones (Probe Tech Ms. James). In the full imdb credits, Dean Smith is credited with stuntwork. Along with other stuntwork on Search, Dean Smith appeared as the cowhand who tagged along with Lockwood and Gloria toward the end of "The Gold Machine."

                                    "The Gold Machine" credits:
                                    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697090/

                                    -------------------------

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                                      I was off a little bit in the year:

                                      And Then There Was One
                                      *Episode number: *5x18
                                      *Airdate: *Thursday January 20th, 1972

                                      *Director: **Arnold Laven<http://www.tvrage.com/person/id-6830/Arnold+Laven>
                                      *
                                      *Writer: **Fred Freiberger
                                      (1)<http://www.tvrage.com/person/id-6696/Fred+Freiberger>
                                      *

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                                        Thanks for all the details, John and Don! As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating." :)