Hugh O'Brian on the Mike Douglas Show 1972

  • kevin T
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013
      I found this pic on EBAY -- apparently Hugh O'Brian did a week of Mike Douglas shows in 1972. Odd as it sounds, it was a common practice on daytime TV back then. Has this been discussed before? Wow, it would be great to see! Like SEARCH, these shows almost certainly exist in some form. But it may be years before these get released on DVD.

      http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1972-Hugh-OBrien-TVs-Wyatt-Earp-star-of-NBCs-Search-Press-Photo-/00/s/ODE0WDEwMjM=/$(KGrHqN,!k0FClQoqm9JBQvQ2CyKmg~~60_57.JPG
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013
        Yeah. I remember in I think 1968 William Shatner and Deforest Kelley did a week on Mike Douglas together. Kelley showed off some of the props he used as McCoy, making a huge deal with that little spinning scanner he used. (Apparently the thing did make some small sounds as it spun.) And Shatner gave (sadly unforgettable) renditions of the songs "Rocket Man" and what could best be described as an acid-trip version of "Mr. Tambourine Man". (Oh, the things one wishes to forget... although on the CGI kids' show 'Reboot', in one episode they did make perfect fun of Shatner's "Rocket Man" performance, and adding a bit where his 'wig' falls off as he bows, and then beams out. Well done, 'Reboot'!)

        Also in about 1975 or so, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain did a week together on Mike Douglas and showed off a few of the 'Space: 1999' props. During that week they even had a NASA rep on the show with a gizmo they used to train astronauts to work in weightlessness. It was a free-wheeling thing that once you were strapped in, the slightest movement would invoke Newton's Law of the "equal and opposite reaction". One guest, a comedian whose name I can't remember, got into the thing while making a reference to "Chicken Shot Alpha". He tried to turn a bolt and spun in the opposite direction. Then the NASA guy showed how the foot holds were used. The comedian used them and the audience was amazed. Then the comedian took the dare of the NASA guy that without the footholds he couldn't even take a simple drink. So Mike Douglas gave the comedian a glass of water and as he tried to drink it, just the extra weight of the water in the glass raised the center of gravity and the comedian spun upside-down just as the glass touched his lips. But to everyone's surprise he somehow kept the glass upright through it all, and while swinging upside-down still never spilled a drop!

        So at least on 'The Mike Douglas Show', having a "special guest" (or guests) on for an entire week was indeed done. (I don't know how many more times this occurred as I didn't always get to watch the show; homework or my parents' shows many times got in the way. And unfortunately I missed the week when Hugh O'Brian was on. But I did see the 'Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In' episode with O'Brian on it - his closing line after Rowan's classic "Say good-night, Dick": "Good-night, Dick; and I'll be looking for you Wednesday night on 'Search'".)

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013
          "Cam...run a computer search: Who is 'Dick?'"

          On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM, LambuLambu@... <LambuLambu@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Yeah. I remember in I think 1968 William Shatner and Deforest Kelley did a
          > week on Mike Douglas together. Kelley showed off some of the props he used
          > as McCoy, making a huge deal with that little spinning scanner he used.
          > (Apparently the thing did make some small sounds as it spun.) And Shatner
          > gave (sadly unforgettable) renditions of the songs "Rocket Man" and what
          > could best be described as an acid-trip version of "Mr. Tambourine Man".
          > (Oh, the things one wishes to forget... although on the CGI kids' show
          > 'Reboot', in one episode they did make perfect fun of Shatner's "Rocket
          > Man" performance, and adding a bit where his 'wig' falls off as he bows,
          > and then beams out. Well done, 'Reboot'!)
          >
          > Also in about 1975 or so, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain did a week
          > together on Mike Douglas and showed off a few of the 'Space: 1999' props.
          > During that week they even had a NASA rep on the show with a gizmo they
          > used to train astronauts to work in weightlessness. It was a free-wheeling
          > thing that once you were strapped in, the slightest movement would invoke
          > Newton's Law of the "equal and opposite reaction". One guest, a comedian
          > whose name I can't remember, got into the thing while making a reference to
          > "Chicken Shot Alpha". He tried to turn a bolt and spun in the opposite
          > direction. Then the NASA guy showed how the foot holds were used. The
          > comedian used them and the audience was amazed. Then the comedian took the
          > dare of the NASA guy that without the footholds he couldn't even take a
          > simple drink. So Mike Douglas gave the comedian a glass of water and as he
          > tried to drink it, just the extra weight of the water in the glass raised
          > the center of gravity and the comedian spun upside-down just as the glass
          > touched his lips. But to everyone's surprise he somehow kept the glass
          > upright through it all, and while swinging upside-down still never spilled
          > a drop!
          >
          > So at least on 'The Mike Douglas Show', having a "special guest" (or
          > guests) on for an entire week was indeed done. (I don't know how many more
          > times this occurred as I didn't always get to watch the show; homework or
          > my parents' shows many times got in the way. And unfortunately I missed the
          > week when Hugh O'Brian was on. But I did see the 'Rowan and Martin's
          > Laugh-In' episode with O'Brian on it - his closing line after Rowan's
          > classic "Say good-night, Dick": "Good-night, Dick; and I'll be looking for
          > you Wednesday night on 'Search'".)
          >
          > Dino.

        • kevin T
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013
            Aha! Found a TV GUIDE blurb:

            <b><i>Mike's co-host this week is actor Hugh O'Brian (Week of
            30Oct72-03Nov72); guests are actress Meredith Baxter, and her husband
            David Birney of TV's Bridget Loves Bernie, singer Lisa Kirk, football
            player Lance Rentzel and singing comedians Finkle and Weeden.</b></i>

            Finkle and Weeden?
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013
              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, John wrote:

              > "Cam...run a computer search: Who is 'Dick?'"

              John: That would be Dick Martin, who was part of the team with Dan Rowan of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. I missed their episode with Hugh O'Brian, though.

              I also missed the week of 1972 Mike Douglas shows with Hugh. The dvd for "That's Entertainment" includes an extended portion of a 1976 Mike Douglas show pertaining to "That's Entertainment," so apparently the shows were archived and stored somewhere, probably similar to Carson's Tonight Show episodes.

              I do remember seeing Gene Roddenberry on a Mike Douglas show in 1975. He was not on for the full week, however I managed to record audio of Roddenberry's interview.

              I think Jim Alexander also found the same photo of Hugh on eBay a few months ago but I don't recall if there was any discussion here on the list about it before now. October-November 1972 would have been before I got my first audio recorder.

              -------------------------------------
              (snip)

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013
                --- In probe_control, "kevin T" wrote:

                > Aha! Found a TV GUIDE blurb:
                > Mike's co-host this week is actor Hugh O'Brian (Week of
                > 30Oct72-03Nov72); guests are actress Meredith Baxter, and her husband
                > David Birney of TV's Bridget Loves Bernie, singer Lisa Kirk, football
                > player Lance Rentzel and singing comedians Finkle and Weeden.</b></i>
                (snip)
                -------------------------

                One item about this is that Meredith Baxter appears on the Foster Grant commercial toward the middle of the 16mm NBC backup print of the Search episode, "Let Us Prey," which we found several years ago. :)

                And previously on this list, we discussed the appearance of various Search-connected people on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show:

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013
                  Well... (and you probably really know this already, but on the odd chance that someone doesn't) 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In' was hosted by none other than Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, also famous (or infamous?) for their one-off film "The Maltese Bippy", produced by MGM. 'Laugh-in' also ran on NBC, in the former 'U.N.C.L.E.''s 8 PM Monday time slot) from January 1968 until May 1973. (That '69 film "Bippy" played off of one of 'Laugh-In''s catch phrases: "You bet your bippy!" or sometimes "~ sweet ~". If I remember correctly, the way they used it, it was intended as a replacement for that three-letter word for someone's backside.)

                  Anyway, 'Laugh-In''s signature sign-off at the end of each week's show played on the 'George Burns and Gracie Allen Show''s sign-off, where George would say, "Say 'good-night', Gracie", to which she would look at the camera, smile, and say, "Good-night, Gracie." So after a banter of really sick jokes with Rowan as the straight-man and Martin acting like my brother-in-law (no, seriously, the two acted and looked almost identical, especially in the "Bippy" film), Rowan would give with a note of surrender in his voice, "Say 'Good-night', Dick!" (sometimes throwing in "Just say..."; Martin would look at the camera and with a huge smile say "Good-night, Dick!" The rest of the cast, including the guest stars, would follow suit, each uttering that catch phrase, occasionally tacking a little something onto the end.

                  "Cam...run a computer search: Who is 'Dick?'"

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 21, 2013
                    That's right...and sometimes one of them would say "Who's Dick?" Thus, my
                    attempt at nostalgia.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 21, 2013
                      AH! (Doh!) Now I remember... every so often one of them would say that. :P

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 21, 2013
                        Yes. I went to school on Laugh-In.

                        What O'Brian actually said on the show was more important for a new show.
                        I just tailored my feeble attempt at what would have made sense only to
                        those of us who know the show...or to everyone if the show had caught on
                        and been on for a few years.

                        Trio was running the original one hour versions of the show.
                        Unfortuantely, they only went as far as the first few episodes of the
                        fourth season...otherwise I could post the clip. Oh well.