1972 Maurice Evans interview about Search

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
      Google Newspapers has an article from The Pittsburgh Press (9-3-72) on Maurice Evans interviewed about being a guest star in the Search episode, "The Murrow Disappearance."

      The article ends somewhat abruptly, so I suspect there was more to the original. Newspapers tend to use articles like this to fill space. Short paragraphs are written in descending order of importance so they can be easily edited. It's possible that a longer version of this article is available somewhere else, I just haven't checked. :)

      The article hints that there was a time during the 1960s and 70's when certain actors would not do any television whatsoever. There was the impression that they somehow "sold out" when they did so.

      Evans mentioned previously doing a "Man From UNCLE" episode. It was "The Bridge of Lions Affair," a two-part 1966 episode. He also appeared with James Doohan in that show, and Robby the Robot appeared as a portion of the "rejuvenating machine."

      -----------------

      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=pVQqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SFMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4524,305801&dq=evans-in-search&hl=en

      The Pittsburgh Press, Sept. 3, 1972, pg. 20

      Evans in 'Search'

      Maurice Evans, one of the distinguished actors of our time, doesn't downgrade television.

      "Variety is the spice of an actor's life," he said. "Particularly so for me, having been identified with the classics. This is like a paid vacation, to get away from crowns and robes."

      The remarks were made in connection with his guest-starring role as a distinguished career diplomat in "The Murrow Disappearance," the premiere colorcast of "SEARCH," Wednesday, Sept. 13 at 10 p.m. on Channels 6, 7, and 11.

      Hugh O'Brian stars in the action-adventure drama as an electronically monitored investigator.

      Evans, asked what determines his acceptance of a role, explained his approach.

      "First, the salary," he said. "Then I see if the idea has any originality."

      Evans did not seem perturbed by the escapist nature of the show.

      "It's the kind of show that gets an audience. I did a 'Man from U.N.C.L.E.' once. The producer seemed to be happy with my performance."

      -----------------------
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
        Hello Don

        Maurice
        Evans also appeared in The Six Million Dollar Man 90 minute �Solid Gold
        Kidnapping�, amongst others shortly after, another one directed by Russ
        Mayberry.

        I think the
        British actor�s work ethic which took a longer time to break in the USA is not
        to care whether it was stage, film or TV, just as long as the work was
        interesting explains the puzzlement from the reporter asking him the questions.

        Please note NEW email address while OLD one is being sorted out.

        Biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest, and that's only becasue the first is a commerical site, in the world!

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
            And for those who might remember too. Maurice played the Puzzler in Batman. This was the first time that a villain shakes Batman's hand. And admitted he had been beaten fairly. The man had a great sense of honor. Even if his character wasn't on the right side of the law.. lolol

            Maurice Evans was a real gentleman. And a great actor. :)
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
              And who can't remember him as Samantha's father in 'Bewitched'. Geoff

              To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
              From: ladytalara@...
              Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 02:18:58 -0800
              Subject: [probe_control] Re: 1972 Maurice Evans interview about Search

              And for those who might remember too. Maurice played the Puzzler in Batman. This was the first time that a villain shakes Batman's hand. And admitted he had been beaten fairly. The man had a great sense of honor. Even if his character wasn't on the right side of the law.. lolol

              Maurice Evans was a real gentleman. And a great actor. :)

            • ronaldheld
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
                That is the role I associate him with.
                Ronald

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
                  I stole from that character in murder mysteries I did years ago. The
                  scenario had an aging hack Shakesperian character who all the previous
                  actors played as simply vain. When I took the character I went around
                  quoting Shakespeare (sometimes in context and sometimes out) in a deep
                  rumpling delivery...technique stolen from Maurice Evans.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
                    Hello Ronald And not the first two Planet Of The Apes films?? Geoff

                    To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                    From: ronaldheld@...
                    Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 12:11:17 +0000

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
                      Geoff:
                      that would be after Bewitched.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
                        Hello Ronald

                        certainly hope so, unless he was a hidden passenger with Taylor�s crew.

                        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                        From: ronaldheld@...
                        Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 13:17:25 +0000