Latest WAC Releases

  • Robert McNay
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 13, 2012
      Sorry, no Search yet, but a couple of interest.

      Hawkins: The Complete Movie Collection - Jimmie Stewarts foray into TV
      whodunits. Four discs, 8 films

      World War III - A early '80s miniseries starring Rock Hudson, David Soul and
      Brian Keith. I think this is a first DVD release on this, because I have is a 2
      VHS tape set I bought off-rental. Reasonably good series.

      Rob McNay
      Chicago IL
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 26, 2012
        Hello Dino

        Oh, you�re
        bound to get copycat hair styles. The herd instinct rules with a lot of people.
        When the punk look was rampant over here, rather than look individual they all
        started looking like each other.

        What I
        was referring to was haircut changes related to status. The college haircut
        changes radically when, say, joining a particular job type and I don�t just
        mean in cutting it shorter. Again, I think it�s herd instinct but it does seem
        to hit your side of the pond more than over here.

        Never
        saw �Space Balls� but looked at her pictures. I think have women with beards in
        fantasy films might be taking this argument a little away from the argument for
        our own reality.

        Re:
        Brylcreem. I suspect people often over-estimated how much they needed to wear
        on it.

        Geoff

        *****************
        Geoff Willmetts ***** GF Willmetts ****************************

        Commissioning
        Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.org.uk and assorted suffixes including .com and .co.uk

        We�ve
        updated our website. Please add to your links,

        Our
        Google monthly number of hits exceeds seventy million and they place us in the
        general genre than our own category. Doesn�t stop us appearing on the first
        page of any Goggle Search for Science Fiction entries.

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        From: LambuLambu@...
        Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:25:50 -0500
        Subject: Re: [probe_control] Re: hair

        Geoff,

        We've got lots of hair styles over here. The hair swept back from the forehead is just one. Strangely enough, I think that one started with Travolta's Tony Manero from 'Saturday Night Fever". I remember when that film came out; within a week most of the guys in my school had that hair (and no, I wasn't one of them). I started wearing my hair like that in the military because it was much easier to keep it from sticking out of the front of my hat, and when I took my hat off I didn't have "hat head" like so many other guys did. (It was a practical style for me rather than me trying to look distinguished.) I've got a Chris Eccleston 9th Doctor cut now; the swept back just wasn't holding all too well now that I'm at that age where my hair is starting to thin some, but the "buzz cut" works fine.

        It's strange the way you mention women changing their appearance more easily than men and moustaches or beards in the same sentence, and that bit about the "telling mark". In "Spaceballs", near the end when they're trying to evacuate Spaceball One because it's about to self-destruct and that "Bearded Lady" from the circus bumps Dark Helmet out of the way, the person playing The Bearded Lady was Dee Booher (a.k.a. Deanna Booher): former roller derby player and professional wrestler (G.L.O.W., where she went my Queen Kong). Without that 'stache and beard she just looks like your average, menacing, 6'4" muscle-woman with a deep voice (and her face isn't unsightly, she just makes it look that way with her sneers). Now put that beard on her and she becomes downright frightening! (Though I hear she has a kind-hearted personality.)

        Brylcreem... a little dab'll do ya. Oh yeah, I remember that stuff. It seemed like everyone was wearing it from the '40s (probably earlier) until sometime in the late '60s. My mother used to put that stuff on me when she combed my hair. I was so happy when it went out of style. "The wet-head is dead!"