RE: [probe_control] OT: A Copy Of Your Own Message?

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
      Hello John Works with Hotmail. Dino uses an old IE server based off his earlier problems which might not help matters. It might be worth extending the question to which IEs are working OK but either way, how are you going to know which ones don't work?? Geoff

      *****************
      Geoff Willmetts ***** GF Willmetts ****************************

      Commissioning
      Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.org.uk and assorted suffixes including .com and .co.uk

      We�ve
      updated our website. Please add to your links,

      Our
      Google monthly number of hits exceeds seventy million and they place us in the
      general genre than our own category. Doesn�t stop us appearing on the first
      page of any Goggle Search for Science Fiction entries.

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: actingman6@...
      Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 14:35:01 -0500
      Subject: [probe_control] OT: A Copy Of Your Own Message?

      Dino wondered if there was something wrong with his Yahoo settings. He was

      not getting a copy of his own messages sent to the list. Since I am not

      sure one way or the other, we thought to open it up for feedback from folks

      with different email servers.

      To the best of my memory, I stopped getting copies of my messages sent to

      all of my Yahoo groups when I started up with Gmail. So I assumed that was

      something to do with Gmail.

      Dino is AOL I think (man I have no short-term memory,) and he recently

      stopped getting his own messages back, but is still getting other postings

      from the list.

      So, the question is: do you get your own messages to this and other Yahoo

      Groups sent back to you as a list posting?

      Did you before but now it stopped?

      What email server do you have?

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 10, 2012
        Actually, this is happening with my AOL on both my PC (the old IE Geoff mentioned, although on the PC I use the AOL app) and on my Mac using AOL via Safari, which is where I do most of my e-mailing and other internet-based transactions from. (The Mac updates itself automatically.) I was getting a copy of my own posts, as a list posting, but noticed that about a week or so before I contacted John off list that I had stopped getting copies of my posts.

        So it's not so much my old version of IE, but that it's happening on both of my computers, with different OSes. I thought it strange that it just stopped, but I still get everyone else's posts.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 10, 2012
          Hello
          Dino

          The common denominator seems to be AOL, so
          logistically, the best question to ask everyone else as to who is using AOL and
          have they had any problems. ‘Course, that is assuming that they are getting
          through.

          Geoff

          *****************

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
          From: LambuLambu@...
          Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:58:30 -0500

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 10, 2012
            Geoff,

            I've checked with AOL and they can't find any malfunctions on their side. My Spam filter is totally disabled so that can be ruled out. (Though, as you can see, other members' posts, such as yours, come through just fine. And when I send my reply that you answered below, I never got a copy of mine.

            But you have a good suggestion: are other members who are using AOL having the problem of not getting a copy of their own posts? As I mentioned before, I used to, but they stopped suddenly. Strange.

            From: LambuLambu@...
            Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:58:30 -0500

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 10, 2012
              Hello
              Dino

              Not sure if I would disable a spam filter
              for any length of time.

              It does bring up an interesting query as to
              how do you get your messages out at the moment??

              Geoff

              *****************

              To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
              From: LambuLambu@...
              Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:26:39 -0500

              From: LambuLambu@...

              Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:58:30 -0500

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 10, 2012
                Geoff,

                I don't like having the Spam filter disabled, unfortunately it's a necessary evil at the moment, especially with some of The Evil One's Study Abroad e-mail from the University of Bath not getting through to us. The University needs certain papers completed in a certain timeframe, and if we don't get them it could spell trouble for her. Even so the e-mails from the University are intermittent, even with the filter disabled. This is why I called AOL. They checked everything on their side and couldn't find anything amiss that would be causing this odd problem. But since it's a new issue that's only been going on for a couple of weeks, they're looking into any "upgrades" they may have done. (And from my military experience with the IT crowd making their "user-transparent" upgrades, it usually means a "downgrade" until they find the problems they've caused!)

                As for getting my messages out, I either use the "Reply" button (as I'm doing now), or I generate a New Message and use the probe_control@yahoogroups.com address from my address book. I've also gone to the Yahoo! Group site and posted there, and still never got a copy of my post even though all (of the above methods) showed up on the Group site's list.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 11, 2012
                  Hello
                  Dino

                  Dunno about how AOL conducts its email
                  server but if it acts like Hotmail, then all you have to do is select your
                  daughter�s emails and tell it to exclude them from being treated as spam. Have
                  you thought of using Firefox as an alternative to check until things are sorted
                  out or even set up a separate email account to direct into??

                  It might pay to check your inbox folders
                  and see if your return messages aren�t being copies into Junk or Deleted. I
                  presume you�ve checked them but sometimes suggesting the obvious covers
                  something that might have been over-looked.

                  Geoff

                  *****************

                  To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                  From: LambuLambu@...
                  Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 01:24:26 -0500

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 11, 2012
                    Geoff,

                    The Evil One is still in the US. It's the University in Bath that we have to complete the forms with that we're getting the intermittent e-mails from. What they've taken to doing is sending the e-mails to The Evil One at her university e-mail address, and she's forwarding them to us. Her e-mails were never treated as spam. Besides, I still have that spam filter disabled so even if she was on the spam list, it would have no affect.

                    And with the filter disabled nothing is going into my spam folder; everything is coming into my In Box. Nothing goes into the Deleted Items folder until we delete them.

                    I have tried Firefox. It gave me more problems than I already had so I uninstalled it. Back to good old Square One.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 12, 2012
                      Hello
                      Dino

                      It might just pay to have an alternative
                      email address and ones like Hotmail can divert to your normal email address.

                      The biggest problem is having totally reliance
                      on Firefox because it wouldn’t allow Windows updates, but it isn’t the only alternative
                      Net server out there.

                      Geoff

                      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com