Re: [probe_control] you people over the pond OK??

  • Robert McNay
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2012
      We seem to be okay, a bit dazed and confused, but slowly finding the silver
      lining in it.

      Oh, wait, you weren't talking about the Disney/LucasFilm merger?

      Rob McNay
      Chicago IL

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 31, 2012
          Actually, Sandy did effect us here in Chicago, too. There have been some pretty
          nasty waves and wind here. Some of the waves got bad enough to shut down part of
          one of our most iconic roads, Lake Shore Drive. There's also been some flooding
          of lakefront properties.

          As for the Disney/LucasFilm merger, I think there is a silver lining. The last
          (first?) 3 Star Wars film and last Indy Jones have pretty much shown that Lucas
          no longer "has it". Bringing in fresh eyes and imaginations might be what it
          needs, like new Star Trek movies have. Also, getting it all away from Lucas and
          his endless tinkering is a good thing, too.

          Plus, since Michael Eisner's butt got bounced from Disney, they have show they
          can do right by the fans and the films. Just look at the Marvel property movies
          (i.e. The Avengers, IronMan, Captain America, Thor) and any Pixar animation over
          the last few years.

          Rob McNay
          Chicago IL

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
            Hello Rob

            It�s not
            always apparent when Chicago is used in films that it is actually a coastal
            city but not surprised that Sandy reached that far and this isn�t really the
            start of the hurricane season.

            One odd
            thing about the Disney/LucasFilm merger is that Industrial Light & Magic
            wasn�t mentioned. As it was always named as a separate business in film
            credits, I presume Lucas still owns it for the moment??

            With more
            Star Wars films in the offing, one has to wonder when they mention Luke
            Skywalker is whether they�re going to recast or have the older actors back as a
            link to a new line.

            As to
            Disney�s recent output, a lot of it depends on who you put in charge of the film
            and how much respect they have for the source material.

            Geoff

            *****************

            To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                Hello
                Rob

                The Great Lakes are bigger than some seas,
                aren�t they??

                I wonder what Lucas is going to do with all
                that money??

                Can we presume that the next three films
                are the ones that Lucas said were never in his original plans when 9 became 6
                all those years ago?? One thing for sure, it�s going to mess up people who
                think the novels are canon but aren�t.

                Bearing in mind Ford�s age now, another
                Indy film seems impractical unless they re-start them with a younger chap.

                Geoff

                *****************

                To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                From: CptMatt@...
                Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 05:25:03 -0700

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                    Hello Rob

                    Re: Star
                    Wars. I remember a couple years of a TV cast where Lucas said none of the books
                    were canon and yet people still buy them.

                    Foster�s
                    book was really written to conform to what he was allowed to use and he had to
                    find away around wanting to use Mr. Vader.

                    Re: Indy
                    Jones and Ford. Considering that Ford is now 70 and it can take up to 4 years
                    to get a production from scratch together, do you think he�d survive the pace,
                    let alone the action. Logistically, it would make sense either to start from
                    scratch or him pass the torch to a son he never knew he had. :-)

                    By the
                    by, no one else is replying. Hope its just electricity. Last time, Bob
                    Greenberger was really up the creek in New York.

                    Geoff

                    *****************

                    To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                    From: CptMatt@...
                    Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:12:40 -0700

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                      Geoff,

                      I'm back up. We got a little bit of a pounding here in Virginia Beach and my area lost power for much of Monday night, and a brown-out that occurred after the power came back fried my FiOS control box, so I was without any land phone line, TV (no news of anything, just bits on the radio), and no Internet. But I'm back up now. Finally.

                      I hope anyone in the New York City (my original stomping grounds) and New Jersey and the New England coastline, all of whom bore the brunt of Sandy, is doing well. I saw those two restaurants on the southern tip of City Island (Belden Point) in The Bronx, my hometown, that were completely destroyed and my heart sank. I'd eaten at each one so many times while growing up, and when the wife and I were dating and after getting married. I also saw the damage to things on Coney Island. THE CYCLONE WAS DESTROYED! I remember that roller-coaster from when I was a kid; my father rode it when he was a kid. I think it was declared a historic landmark at some point. Now it's gone, along with most of the Coney Island Playland (or did they still call it "Astroland"?). It has been a while, but it still hurts to see it.

                      The saddest thing of all was the loss of the replica ship HMS Bounty (the 1962 replica) off of Cape Hatteras, NC. They lost one crewmember (Claudene Christian, descendant of Fletcher Christian of the original Bounty) though at least they recovered her, and last I saw in the news my fellow Coasties were still looking for the captain. I'd been aboard the Bounty quite a few times as she was a regular guest at Norfolk's annual Harborfest Celebration in June (along with many ships that appeared in 'The Onedin Line'). When I would drive up to NYC to visit what relatives I had there I would occasionally see her in the bay while I was crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge; her yellow trim was instantly recognizable. That one really hit me in the gut. My heart goes out to Ms. Christian's family.

                      (And this is another thing that re-inforces my firm belief that Reality sucks!)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
                        Hello
                        Dino

                        I think loosing local utilities is a sharp
                        reminder on how reliant we are on them.

                        From this side of the pond, it’s the size
                        of the hurricane that shakes more and surprised there weren’t more casualties.

                        One can only hope with re-building that
                        your folk take note of what the Japanese did with earthquakes and improve
                        buildings to survive such a battering. Granted, they haven’t out in the wilder
                        states, but certainly they should in the cities.

                        Geoff

                        *****************

                        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
                          Geoff,

                          Normally, losing all utilities (except water) normally doesn't bother me. When Hurricane Isabel came through here in September 2003 she took out power for our neighborhood for almost three weeks. My ship rode her skirt tails home and we moored the day after the storm so I got to enjoy those three weeks of living with oil lamps, cooking on the grill, and reading if the wife and I weren't having a conversation. That neighbor of ours with the generator let us plug into his outside outlet so we could run a cord to the fridge and that was all the power we used. Everything else was daylight, candles, or oil lamps. And Isabel was just a Tropical Storm when she hit us. Our area is overdue for a major hurricane direct hit; people living here for like 90 years have said in interviews that we usually get one every ten years or so, and so far I've been in the area since 1989, and no major (Cat 3 or higher) storms have made landfall here, so it's only a matter of time of those aged and wise locals are right.

                          This time, however, our loss of utilities was a gross inconvenience because we are dealing with a university in Bath. My land phone line is the only one that can call internationally, and e-mail was necessary for quick documentation transfer. (The Evil One has been accepted to the Study Abroad Program; she heads for Bath, England, in January and the deadline for most everything was 1st November. Things on our end were moving so slowly because when anyone transfers funds over $3k US overseas - even to an educational institution - it sets off all sorts of alarms and red flags with our Dept. of Homeland Security; they hold things up for all sorts of checks and additional paperwork - yes, REAL PAPER! - so funds transfer takes twice as long as it used to. We were working out those delay matters with the university in Bath when we lost our ability to communicate overseas. If not for that, then I could have easily gone another three weeks with my oil lamps.)

                          As for the rebuilding over here, we'll have to see what happens. Some people living on the barrier islands along the coast, when interviewed after past storms, have said they were relocating further inland. (They are called "barrier" islands for a reason.) Others said they were going to rebuild their multimillion-dollar homes on that same piece of sand that had been washed away once the government - local, state, and federal - brought in sand to replace what had washed away. They call that "Beach/Shoreline Replenishment". They act like it was nothing because their insurance will pay for rebuilding, and the taxpayers will foot the bill to put the sand back so they just shrug it off. Those are the ones I have no sympathy for. Some people who didn't lost their houses in past storms had also said they were moving further inland - off of the barrier islands - because those locations are extremely dangerous when storms hit, especially around Cape Hatteras (the hurricane magnet).

                          Coney Island isn't a barrier island. It's been through this sort of thing before and rebuilt, but the Cyclone coaster was never destroyed before. I'm still wondering what they'll do now. As for the New Jersey coastline, well, any coastline, even one with no barrier islands, will fall prey to a slow-moving, wide-area storm. You can't just move the coastline even though Mother Nature can. But people are resilient. Just look at the 1906 San Francisco earthquake; it destroyed the city, yet they built it back up again better than before. The 1989 quake was also a huge one, and Frisco rebuilt after that as well; even other areas in California were devastated by that quake and they rebuilt. Resilient? Stubborn? Refusing to give up? That's us! (Or should it be, that's US?) ;)

                          Dino.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
                            Hello
                            Dino

                            The loss of water probably suggests that
                            you�re part fish. :-)

                            Careful what you wish for. As I commented
                            to Rob, I don�t think the hurricane season is over yet.

                            I�m sure Bath Uni will appreciate you have
                            problems if you tell the power was out. Your daughter won�t be the only one
                            with a problem from the USA.

                            The rich people on the barrier islands
                            sound pretty dumb.

                            Surely, Dino, re-building is one thing, but
                            making sure the buildings have a better chance of survival makes more sense.
                            Then again, in the tornado states, they still build houses from wood which
                            makes no sense.

                            I presume people who lived in skyscrapers
                            regarded themselves as pretty safe??

                            Geoff

                            *****************
> [...]

                            > Dino.
                            >
                            > On Nov 2, 2012, at 6:58 AM, Geoff Willmetts wrote:
                            >

                            > > Hello
                            > > Dino
                            > >
                            > > I think loosing local utilities is a sharp
                            > > reminder on how reliant we are on them.
                            > >
                            > > From this side of the pond, it�s the size
                            > > of the hurricane that shakes more and surprised there weren�t more casualties.
                            > >
                            > > One can only hope with re-building that
                            > > your folk take note of what the Japanese did with earthquakes and improve
                            > > buildings to survive such a battering. Granted, they haven�t out in the wilder
                            > > states, but certainly they should in the cities.

                          • Dean Or Mary Giangregorio
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
                              Geoff,

                              I probably should have clarified the loss of water bit: water services. When Isabel came through on 2003 some areas of Portsmouth lost their water service because the flooding damaged the pumping stations and got into the reservoir, which contaminated the water. (That boil the water before you use it policy.) So as long as we've got water service, I can do without the electricity. (Books are still fun, and oil lamps still provide plenty of light.)

                              As for wishing for longer power loss - not quite. I was just saying that I can do without power if it goes out. And you're right; hurricane season doesn't end until 30th November. (It starts 1st June.) However, there are exceptions, as in 2005 when the hurricanes started well before June and continued well after November; they even ran out of names and had to switch to the Greek alphabet for the hurricanes we had so many that year! (And that was just in the Atlantic.)

                              Bath and The Evil One: The wife was able to use a computer at work while they had power to let the university contact know about our power problems. So hopefully things will go smoothly, especially since I think most of the western hemisphere knows what the US East Coast was just hit with.

                              Barrier islands and people with money: I wouldn't say 'dumb'. More like arrogant. They know the taxpayers will be replacing the sand, and the insurance will rebuild the house. It just comes down to their blatant show of money (the insurance for that is very expensive).

                              Rebuilding: If you think of the barrier islands, nothing will stop a house from being washed out. The sand goes, then the foundation, and the house collapses (if the tidal surge doesn't shove the house off the foundation or the wave action doesn't pound it to splinters). In my area, we had a guy whose business flooded out during Isabel. He recovered, and over time expanded. When he expanded, he build his new building in higher pilings as a precaution. Well, Sandy caused a tidal surge that flooded out both buildings. So as long as people are going to live right on the water, they're going to have serious damage.

                              Tornado Alley is another thing. You need a concrete dome with a very deep foundation to stop a tornado from literally blowing you to Oz. (I'll take a hurricane over a tornado any day; a hurricane you can see coming days or weeks in advanced, and if you're smart, prepare or get out of the way. A tornado can spring up out of nowhere, and by the time you realize one is there it's already too late. They're also unpredictable; they can destroy one house, mis the house next to it, and destroy the house next to that! At least with a hurricane you can plot its course, and see how it alters as it approaches.)

                              As for people living in skyscrapers feeling safe, I can't say. I haven't known anyone who lived in one. I guess for flooding it's safe if you're on a higher floor, but at some point you're going to have to leave the building. So safety there is a relative thing.