Re: SEARCH 'Hero' Scanner Prop now up on eBay

  • ronaldheld
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2012
      Saw this too late. Winning bid $5000.
      Ronald

      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "galacticprobe" <LambuLambu@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I also wonder what they used for the main "circuit board". The three "chips" (one on either of the lens housing, and one inside the lens) look like integrated circuit chips that have had their covers pried off to show their innards, though I don't know of any IC ships which were that small in the early '70s. (But I could be wrong and ones that small could have existed as early as that.) If it was just a piece of a regular circuit board cut into a circle I would expect it to be green, not blue; in my 30 years of working with electronics (civilian and military) I've only ever seen green, or in rare cases, tan, colored circuit boards; I've never seen a blue one.
      >
      > The Stunt scanner also has those thin rods (also a bit rusted) on either side of its lens housing, but there are no oblique photos of that one so it's impossible, from those photos, to tell whether or not the stunt version's main housing also had multiple holes drilled in it. If it did, then it could possibly mean the main housing came from something that was ready-made at the time. As for the lens housing, you can't realy see a flange at its base (though it could be covered by that silver thing standing in for the circuit board).
      >
      > So, I think that's about the best we're likely to get for high-res images unless we get really lucky and someone from the Group here wins that auction and posts some really good images of the scanners (including some of the back of it). When I last saw it (as of 2:30 PM US Eastern Time) there were only four bids. The high bid was $1,075, and it still said "Reserve not met". One day and eight hours left to go on the auction. (I put it in "My ebay" just to watch it and see whether or not it sells, and what the high bid is at the end and whether or not it made the reserve.)
      >
      > Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys these photos.
      >
      > End Run,
      > Dino.
      >
      > --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, John <actingman6@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'd settle for hi-res copies of those pictures.
      > >
      > > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Jim Alexander <probecontrol@>wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > SEARCH Associate Producer John Christopher Strong phoned me a few
      > > > minutes ago to let me know that he has decided to sell his
      > > > original 'Hero'(close-up) Scanner Prop, magnetic ring base, and
      > > > stunt Scanner prop and watch fob.
      > > >
      > > > The eBay auction number is 180957495444, which can be entered
      > > > into the eBay search field, and it will take you directly to the > > auction.
      > > >
      > > > The Starting Bid price is $1000 and there appears to be a Reserve
      > > > Pricethat will have to be met.
      > > >
      > > > Mr. Strong wanted me to get the word out to as many SEARCH fans as
      > > > possible, as he would, of course, like to get the appropriate
      > > > amount of money for these one-of-a-kind item items.
      > > >
      > > > So, spread the word, enjoy the pictures of the prop that we've
      > > > been wanting to see for so long, and... bid ! :)

    • kc8nqa
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
        Hello Dino, ALL,

        I etched a Real circuit board and the traces are indeed green with a tan board. I have seen blue and I have also seen white epoxy boards but I have never seen blue on white. As for the Chips they did have IC chips pretty small back then but they were Very expensive and I have never seen ones in the configuration like the ones on the Scanner.

        I have done my best to re-create the Scanner from the pilot - I posted elsewhere that I am convinced that there were at least two Hero Scanners, or the first one was re-built then epoxied to the ring. I am now trying my best to re-create the one that was on Ebay. The ones I just finished came out Very Nice. I will post pics/links when I get a chance.

        By the way, does anyone know who actually won the bid and now is the proud owner of the one that was on Ebay?

        Good Day ALL,

        Mike S.