Seaview dilemma and Avengers Companion

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2012
      Hello everyone

      Be warned. I�ve
      started watching season 4 of �Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea�. Now, here�s a
      dilemma for you. Cargo, including a certain admiral, is let into the missile
      room from above in the opening episode. Now considering the run of the back of
      the Seaview has Polaris tubes vents, just how do they do that little trick??

      For a
      practical solution, I would say some of the tube vents are actually fake. Might
      as well look more deadly than you really are and the missile vents don�t seem
      to be in the room itself. Even so, it still leaves an interesting problem of opening
      an overhead section of the Seaview through a double hull and locking it down
      afterwards. Hey look, ma, no leaks.

      Going back
      to earlier in the week and my mentioning that Prisoner book by Alain Carraze,
      when I did a check to see if it was available, which it was but in UK not USA,
      I came across another book he�d done in 1998 called �The Avengers Companion�
      (Steed and co, not the Marvel team). Just in case any of you people realised this
      as well and started snapping up copies, I thought I�d pull the latter volume. I
      got one of the lower priced ones and it was a mint edition, so presumably so
      will most of the others. What is jaw-dropping, is that there are a lot of
      Avengers photos there that I haven�t got before. Still got to find time to read
      it but such is my schedule but it�s worth a pull while available.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2012
        One of the Amazon reviewers said this about the Avengers book: :" (And in
        the interviews, Linda Thorson unintentionally sheds light on why
        then-producer John Bryce cast her as Tara King.)"

        I will be curious to hear what she said.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2012
          Hello
          John

          One moment.

          Page 18. Linda Thorson didn�t get the part
          in �Sinful Davey� because she was too tall. Its director, John Huston,
          suggested she tried out for The Avengers. Her lover and whom she was living
          with at the time, John Bryce, cast her but left the series and insisted she
          stayed.

          Reading between the lines and knowing my
          people, I suspect he chose her because she was the best of the final three but
          I doubt if he�s have been the only one involved.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2012
            Wow...thanks. I was thinking maybe six months down the line you might get
            to it...and that would have been fine.

            I never thought she was bad, and I do think she was treated very badly.
            Also, I felt the writing during her year was just not as good as the Rigg
            years.

            And yes...casting a lead in a TV series is never up to just one person.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 24, 2012
              Geoff,

              Not sure exactly how this may have been done. Filming models of SEAVIEW had visible (and some working) openings in her "belly" for the Flying Sub, mini-sub and Diving Bell, but there were no openings that large visible on top of the models to indicate something like a cargo hatch. (More Irwin Allen magic?)

              Now, stepping into the aspect of "reality" (which sucks - I hate reality)... All subs have a "pass-through" from the inner pressure hull to the outer hull. They're called "Trunks" (or sometimes "Escape Trunks"), and each one has an inner hatch and an outer hatch, and basically act like airlocks. (And not all inner hatches were like SEAVIEW's door to the diving trunk where they went to exit the sub for diving scenes; many are just like deck hatches in the overhead.)

              If we go on your speculation, which is totally valid speculation, that some of SEAVIEW's external missile hatches were "fake" (say the last few aft hatches), then it's possible those could have been used as cargo hatches for things that were too large to pass through the sail's doors, or the standard deck hatches.

              If that were the case, then there would be an inner hatch (pressure hull) and an outer hatch (outer hull), and for safety measures maybe even a "trunk" connecting the two. (There are documented accounts of US Fleet Boats in WWII that had their trunk's outer hatches blown open by depth charges, and it was the inner hatch that saved the boat. If no trunk connected the two, then the pressure hull hatch could have just as easily been blown open and that would spell doom for the sub; considering the water pressure at about 350 feet, you'd never be able to fight the inrushing water to reach and close the pressure hull hatch.)

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7 2:10 PM
                I remember Patrick MacNee speaks well of Linda Thorson.  Mostly, he
                believed she was too inexperienced for the series and the demands
                of a core cast member.

                     End Run,

                     David