Tunnel problems

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2012
      Hello John

      can understand splitting seasons modern shows. Some, like Stargate, even did 4
      episodes at a time before doing the boxset, but for old shows??

      Over
      here, it isn�t because we want to spend more, just that a complete boxset is a
      bit tidier on the shelf.

      Hello Dino

      Re:
      time loops. I don�t eat cherrios.

      don�t think you saw the final episode of �The Time Tunnel�. They re-appeared on
      the Titanic. That was changed on some TV releases but not over here nor on the
      DVD.

      think your memory is failing you a little. When I did a re-watch for review,
      the Time Tunnel wasn�t active all the time and from the looks of things, little
      happened on the night shift and the Tunnel was actually turned off, probably to
      conserve power and repair. Doesn�t mean that the home team didn�t work extra hours
      when Philips and Newman were in dire need of help. The vulgarities of TV in
      focusing on the crucial than the boring bits.

      Going
      back to my point last time. Both of them were linked via the Time Tunnel in the
      first episode after Newman was split to arrive pre-Tick Tock, so they would
      always travel together. As such, even if they arrived in their present, they
      are still linked to the Tunnel and it would treat them as guests in their era.
      If they were watched through the tunnel scanner, then they would still be seen
      as visitors. To get out of the Tunnel, they have to be retrieved through it.

      Re:
      Closure. A lot of series have never had closures over the years and not just
      because the TV channel cuts them short. Yes, I can understand why shows have
      endings now but for the USA, it�s entered into normal life as well where things
      never truly end. Well, except for death but you can always come back as a ghost
      or vampire.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2012
        I have commented on this so many times in other forums, so here we go
        again...

        They did not end TT with a "time loop." And by "end" I mean make an
        artistic choice.

        After the final first run episode "Town Of Terror" they began summer
        reruns, and they went back to the beginning of the series with the first
        episode. Since no teaser/cliff-hanger existed for the first episode, they
        had to make one, and because of the nature of the first episode, it could
        not follow the series format for cliff-hangers. If they had wanted to do a
        time loop finale, they probably would have done something like they did at
        the end of the 1964 movie The Time Travelers.

        I don't have the dates in front of me, but I am pretty sure the series had
        wrapped before word had come down of the cancellation. So the studio and
        network would have agreed that reruns would begin with Rendezvous With
        Yesterday, and the final assembling of the master negative of Town Of
        Terror would include the assembled Titanic cliff-hanger on it.

        Now back then, when a show went out of production, they would make
        16mm copies of the master prints and send them out. They would not spend
        any time or money making changes (unless there was a legal or marketing
        reason to do so.) Stations would get the prints and keep or chop out
        whatever they didn't want to run. If they were just cycling the episodes
        in and out of the building, they would chop stuff out, run it, and then put
        the stuff back in and send it off to the next station. If they
        had purchased a set of prints to keep at their station, then they would do
        with it as they wished. This last part is important to remember for the
        following story (and apologies if I have told this here before):

        WTVH in Syracuse owned a complete set of I Dream Of Jeannie (I know this
        because I interned there.) One time some network event ended short and
        they had a half hour to fill. They threw on an episode of Jeannie...last
        minute. It was the first part of a continuing story where they created a
        contest for viewers to write in and guess the answer. Channel Five did not
        have the episode prepped to run...they just grabbed it off the shelf and
        ran it. It was uncut...and it included the spot with Barbara Eden standing
        next to a giant postcard with the address viewers should write to in order
        to enter the contest. (Damn I wish I had been running my VCR at the time.)

        Now why did WTVH have a print with a spot on it for a 13 year old contest?
        Because the practice back then was to dupe the masters and send them
        out...whatever was on the master went out. That is why back then if you
        traveled around the country and watch off-network shows on different
        stations you could sometimes see an occasional station break bumper, or a
        "brought to you by" announcer tag. Because they just sent out whatever was
        on the master, and some stations were more careful than others about their
        editing (and I would like to think some stations had editors who were
        letting these things slip through for fun.) Town of Terror forever ended
        with Titanic because that was how the master was made for ABC to tease the
        first episode of summer reruns.

        If you grew up watching Lost In Space in syndication, you would see the
        final first season episode cliff-hang into an episode from mid-way in the
        first season...because that was the first episode CBS ran in summer
        reruns...so that was how the master for "Follow The Leader" was made...and
        that's what was copied and sent out in syndication. In reruns, the second
        season finale was cliff-hanged into the second season premiere, because
        that's what CBS ran in summer reruns, and so that was how the master was
        completed, and that's what was copied and sent out. Even when Fox sent out
        LIS mastered to video tape in the late 80's for syndication they still had
        the cliff-hangers as I described them above. The only difference is they
        did edit out all of the station break bumpers and other goodies we would
        love to see.

        So there was no artistic decision to end Time Tunnel with a time loop, it
        was just that standard practice back then was followed, and because of the
        nature of the series, and the fact it only ran one season, it accidentally
        appeared to have more meaning to it than it really had. If TT and run two
        seasons, then the second season finale would have cliff-hanged to the
        second season premiere (or some other episode in the second season that ABC
        would have started summer reruns) and there not be any talk of time loops.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2012
          Thanks for setting us straight (again), John! :)

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8, 2012
            Geoff,

            I'm not sure what order the episodes were shown in the UK, but according to the Time Tunnel list of episodes, the final episode, "Town of Terror" (Ep 30, air date April 7, 1967) has Doug and Tony arriving in Maine in 1978 (so I was off by a few years there, but I thought the dialogue had one of them mention the year as '73 - no big deal, really, just a few years). But the synopsis of that episode says:

            "The travellers arrive in a hotel cellar containing sophisticated equipment. When they get to the lobby of the hotel, the proprietor (played by Mabel Albertson) tells them that there is no cellar. When they attempt to show her, she immobilizes them. The Time Tunnel frees them from their immobilization by moving them. Doug and Tony flee and are pursued. A force field around the town prevents their escape, but two young people–Joan (Heather Young) and Pete–soon encounter them. The travellers find out that the townspeople have been immobilized and aliens are using the forms of the townspeople to appear as humans. The aliens are planning to transport all of the oxygen from Earth's atmosphere to their atmosphere-poor home planet of Andros. The aliens also start sucking oxygen out of the Time Tunnel headquarters, nearly asphyxiating the staff. Joan and Pete help the travellers procure dynamite , which are made into time bombs. Doug and Tony successfully destroy the alien control room, destroying their ability to remove Earth's oxygen, freeing the townspeople and saving Time Tunnel personnel. In the final shift of the series, Doug and Tony end up back on the Titanic, and a synopsis of that episode ("Rendezvous With Yesterday") is shown in clips."

            So Doug and Tony could have made their way back to the TT Base (if it hadn't been shut down and dismantled by then, or even met the Base's crew at the former location if it had) to rejoin their new "present" time and carried on their lives, albeit now a decade younger than their friends the last time they'd seen them.

            I know Doug and Tony were linked together through the tunnel, but as to being linked "to" the tunnel and being whisked off anytime the tunnel was active, I still have my doubts as they had to be transferred rather than having the tunnel simply throw them where (and when) ever. Remember, there was some control over the tunnel as one time Kirk went through it to meet one of his ancestors, and came back with no problems. So I think it was more of Doug and Tony having to be transferred together (not one at a time), and were only transferred to either 1) try to get them out of trouble, or 2) try to bring them home after they'd finished their recent adventure. So if they'd made their way back to Base in 1978 after defeating that alien, I believe they would have stayed there unless they went through the tunnel again.

            As for closure, granted not all series need a finale. Take 'Voyage to the bottom of the Sea', 'Man from U.N.C.L.E.', 'Mannix', and the like: no finale necessary. But for series that are left unresolved like TT or LIS, a finale to close things out is nice. (Just think of how miserable things would have been if 'The Fugitive', after running for three years learned it was being cancelled and the producers hadn't done a series finale to conclude things. Granted, it was more popular that TT hence its longer run of four years, but if it was left hanging open-ended I think the fans would have stormed the studios or buried them alive in angry protest letters.) Even the short-lived 2000 TV remake of 'Fugitive' made a 2-part finale when they learned the series was being cancelled after its first season.

[...]

            AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
            http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
            SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/
            DMOZ DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
            http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
            SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/