Re: [probe_control] Re:

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2012
      And the character of Toni(note the spelling) is now a female.

      John

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2012
        As were Starbuck and Boomer in the new 'Galactica'.

        I'll have to check this one out now. I loved TT (though I wish Allen had done a little more of his history homework in some episodes, and had set more than two or three of the 30 episodes in the future).

        One thing that gets me about TT... since they knew it was being cancelled, all they would have needed to do with their final episode (set in 1973) was to change a few lines of dialogue and re-shoot the ending to being closure to the series:

        After defeating the alien (who bore strange resemblance to Jamie Hyneman of 'Mythbusters'):

        DOUG (speaking through the TT link): "General Kirk?"
        KIRK: "Yes, Doug?"
        DOUG (smiling at Tony): "Don't transfer us."
        KIRK: "What do you mean?"
        DOUG: "We're in 1973. And we're not far from Tic Toc. Keep working on the calculations and figures for control, but don't try anything. Tony and I will make our way to you. You'll see us in about four years; we'll see you in about four hours."
        Fade to:
        INTERIOR, Tic Toc Control. All there seem to have aged about four years, barely noticeable. The huge doors open. Everyone turns around to see Doug and Tony walk in and runs to joyously greet them.
        Fade out - Run End Credits.

        Reading that through it takes about 20 seconds: less time than that re-used footage from the pilot to create the never-to-be resolved cliffhanger. It wouldn't have been the first time a series episode ending had a scene re-shot, and it would have brought closure. I'm sure everyone knew well before the season was done that TT was cancelled, so they'd have had plenty of time to do this. But they just let it go. (At least with Land of the Giants, they tried, and did give some sort of closure, even if leaving it a bit open-ended.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
          Hello Dino

          Re: original Time Tunnel. The last
          episode had them re-appear on the Titanic indicating that they had gone into a
          time loop of repeating the same adventures, which would make sense for the
          number of repeats on TV afterwards.

          Tony Newman only ever appearance
          near their own time once, at the building of Tick Tock and Philips didn�t recognise
          him.

          I did consider your ending a while
          back but both Newman and Philips are linked to the Tunnel. Soon as it�s turned
          on again, they�d be shifted in time again. Whether a recalibration could turn
          that off is hard to say.

          What is it with you Americans
          wanting closure all the time these days??

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
            Yes shes female & sent Time Team to 1944 Hurtgen Forest after Battle of the Bulge.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2012
              Geoff,

              For the record, I hate time loops. ;)

              I do remember when Tony appeared in the area of Tic Toc at the time before Doug (or Jigs) had met him. But the final episode took place in 1973 (as in the characters were in 1973, as stated in part of Doug's dialogue when talking about weapons to use against the recycled LIS alien who was planning to remove all of Earth's atmosphere for use on his ailing planet). So Doug and Tony "could" have just taken a bus ride (or something like that) and gotten back to TT's base in a matter of hours (though to those inside the base it would have been four years as they were still in 1969).
              Also, if you remember, the tunnel was mostly active which is how Kirk and the others could keep watch, hear, and later in the series speak with Doug and Tony. But Doug and Tony were only "transferred" when the tunnel controls were manipulated, usually at Kirk's orders to try and get them home (or when trying to get them out of trouble, which always failed until the end of the episode when enough power had built back up - strange, that, considering the "Krell Laboratory"-like complex of Tic Toc and the power reserves it should have possessed, eh?). So my theoretical ending to the series, by not having the tunnel's controls manipulated to transfer them, is at the very least "plausible."

              As for wanting closure, it is nice for a series such as 'Giants' or TT to have some sort of series finale, rather than to have it just stop with its main characters still in trouble or hanging in limbo. It took several years, but 'Gilligan's Island' finally had a reunion/finale TV movie (and two more follow-on TV movies). Even the horrid fiasco known as 'ST: ENTERPRISE' had a finale, albeit far more appalling than most of the series. The same holds true for the original 'Galactica'. They created the horrendous 'Galactica 1980' which showed the Colonials finally finding Earth; but instead of successfully ending it there with the Colonials integrating with Earthlings (via help from Robert Reed's character whose name escapes me), they carried 'Gal 1980' into a gaggifying series that, again, ended with a cliffhanger.

              Many fans waited eagerly for a 'Lost In Space' TV movie finale to resolve the Robinsons' plight, and the surviving cast was preparing to start filming a two-hour TV movie titled "Lost In Space: The Journey Home" (at least I think that was the title) in late 2002 when Jonathan Harris fell ill on set. Not long after he passed away at a hospital, aged 88. The rest of the cast was so shaken by the suddenness of his death that they shelved the project. Now that Bob May (the man inside the Robot) and Dick Tufeld (the voice of the Robot) have passed, there may never be a LIS finale movie.

              For most of us who loved shows like that and are left hanging when it's cancelled, it's like having someone close declared MIA and never knowing the fate of the characters we'd grown to love (or hate as the case may be). And I'm sure this sentiment isn't just confined to us Yanks. There are probably fans of those series around the world still wondering, and waiting, hopefully, for a resolving finale that may never come.