Re: [probe_control] Re:

  • Paul Holmes
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2012
      It was faster submerged, but primarily due to the propulsion suite’s major lean to huge electric motors over just two 6 cylinder (albeit MAN quality) diesels. The fact remains tear drop is always better and quieter than clipper designs.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2012
        According to "German Type XXI U-Boat" by Siegfried Breyer, the doubling of
        batteries mostly augmented underwater endurance, though they could perform 1
        hour speed bursts beyond their rated submerged speed. Most of the Type XXI
        increased speed was due to the "uncluttering" (i.e. removal of all deck guns,
        net cutters, wood decking, etc.), then streamlining the hull and sail. The
        vertical whale tail stern also did much to reduce drag.

        Rob McNay
        Chicago IL

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2012
          I think Paul answered this best, and he backed up one of my recent posts on hull shape. (Thanks, Paul.)

          I'm also glad to see so many people throwing their thoughts into this. This is what I call a real discussion!