Seaview and script edits

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
      Hello David

      Re:
      Seaview�s status. It would be problematic as to where you would draw a crew
      from for a civilian submarine. Considering Nelson�s status, providing a
      submarine to try out various things that the USN would benefit from, would have
      had them in turn provide the crew as you agree.

      Hello Dino

      Interesting
      points. Let�s apply some logic here. Remember the episode when the Seaview was
      purely automated except for Crane (we�ll forget that �Star Trek� did a similar
      thing). Wouldn�t it make sense to take on-board (sic) lessons learnt from this
      and reduce the number of officers on-board in proportion to the crew?? Yes,
      there would still be a need for a command structure but with them being experienced
      volunteers, obeying orders would still be second-nature.

      Hello Don

      Do
      you remember the Seaview popping up in the second season of �Wonder Woman�??

      Hello John

      stand corrected on who did the final draft of the Ellison episode. Neither
      Fontana nor Coon broadcasted what they did nor how much was changed in other
      stories.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
        Geoff,

        Yes, I remember that episode. Crane was there in case things went wrong; he could shut down the computer. How he would get SEAVIEW home was another story as one man could never operate a sub of that complexity. As it was, having Crane reprogram the computer to get her home (after he subdued the stowaway bad guy) was a bit of a stretch, unless he had detailed instructions somewhere on how to do that. (It's been a while since I've seen that one.)

        I also remember a later episode where only Nelson, Crane, and Sharkey were aboard for a similar automated operation, and Crane somehow got brainwashed into trying to kill Nelson. It wasn't until the last minute that Sharkey was able to play a tape that undid Crane's brainwashing. (It's been even longer since I've seen that one so my memory on it is very fuzzy.)

        As for lessons learnt from the first episode you mention, I'm not sure what you mean. On a boat the size of SEAVIEW you would need a sizable crew. Aside from daily operations you also need a good number of people to daily maintenance (cleaning, checking machinery, making rounds for fire/flooding watch, etc.). You'd also need officers for Department Heads and Division Officers. On my 270-foot Cutter, counting the CO, we had 8 officers, 2 Chief Warrant Officers, and 89 Enlisted crew, including 8 Chiefs. So, with SEAVIEW's size, I doubt you could have reduced the number of crew, and in Season 2 on they did reduce the number of officers we saw.

        And SEAVIEW sets (at least the internal ones) did appear in several productions. 'Wonder Woman' I think was one. The 1966 "Batman" feature film made use of both the internal sets, and the full-scale mock-up of the SEAVIEW's deck and sail when she was surfaced.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
          The Voyage episode about the test of an automated computer system was entitled "The Death Ship." Part of the plot was also based on "Ten Little Indians." Star Trek had a somewhat similar automated computer system plot point in "The Ultimate Computer," but without the aspect of killing off several people by an enemy agent. A summary of the Voyage ep with photos and interesting info is at the following link.
          http://www.vttbots.com/ep_guide_season2_9.html

          The Voyage episode mentioned where Crane was programmed to kill Nelson until Sharkey intervened at the last moment was "The Death Watch."
          http://www.vttbots.com/epi_guide_season3_9.html

          Portions of the Seaview sets turned up (redressed) in a first season "Lost in Space" episode entitled, "The Lost Civilization."
          http://irwinallen.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lost_Civilization_(LiS_episode)

          Click the link below for a pic of part of the Seaview control room, redesigned for one episode ("Journey with Fear"), showing where some of the equipment from "The Time Tunnel" went (along with one of the tall tape drives seen later in "Search"):
          http://www.mortonmoments.com/JourneyWithFear_006.JPG