Re: [probe_control] Mission Impossible, plots and advettising

  • Robert McNay
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Geoff Willmetts gfwillmetts@...

      Like you, I’m a fan of the extras and audio commentaries.
      ----------------------------

      I only like this kind of stuff if it actually contributes something to the show.
      Too many times I've watched or listened to the newly done commentaries on shows
      from long past (both TV & movies) , only to realize as they talk, the
      commentator really doesn't remember much and is kinda "winging it".

      I think some people forget that, just because we are big fans of something, to
      the people involved, it was just a job from a long time ago. Or even just a
      minor role to them. Alec Guiness is probably the best example of this. Even
      though Star Wars was a huge landmark movie and he had a fairly major role, he
      felt it was unimportant and a lark. Even in his autobiography, he only devotes a
      page or two to it.

      Rob McNay
      Chicago IL
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
        I would watch the show live week by week, and ignore the commercials, or
        record it when not at home and zip through the commercials, or download
        them that others post as torrents, which have no commercials.

        Buying them is a whole other matter. That depends on whether or not they
        have lasting library appeal for me.

        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
          Even in series. I was paging through Robert Stack's autobiography, and he
          barely mentions Name Of The Game...a show he starred in for three years.

          And Burgess Meredith didn't mention Search in his book.

          I thought Robert Wuhl's commentary for the episode he wrote of Police Squad
          was a disgrace. He sits there for half an hour basically saying he doesn't
          remember any of it, and dis'ing what he was seeing on the screen. And he
          managed to work in an Arli$$ mention during the commentary.

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
            We as fans look upon these series' with great passion, actors, more of
            them than not, look upon the series they starred in as just another job.
            Most forget most of the details about the jobs once they are over.

            John

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
              Part of the reason is we only see it as the final "magic" of the story,
              where the actors experienced it as early mornings, time in the makeup
              chair, saying the lines over and over again multiple times for different
              angles and filming the scenes out of sequence from how the viewer sees
              them. Add to that seeing camera, microphones, wires, crew and painted
              plywood rather than real places and real devices.

              I did a day of extra work on an episode of Sex And The City (the third
              season wedding episode.) You folks see us smiling at the bride as she
              walks down the aisle. All I see is the fact that it was around 1:30 in the
              morning by the time we got to that setup...a ridiculously long day.

              It is also strange what some of us remember and some of us don't in our
              lives. I was sitting around during a rehearsal with some folks that I had
              worked with on a previous show. They started singing a song from that show
              that I did not recognize at all. I asked who had sung that. They thought
              I was kidding. It turns out I had sung that song in the show. I still
              have no memory of having done it. And yet many of the trivia and
              production points that I will mention about various shows on this and other
              lists are things that I may have read about once, or only saw once or twice
              on TV.

              Kinda sad actually.

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
                --- In probe_control, Geoff wrote:
                > ...I notice how the opening credits are getting
                > even more abbreviated these days and inevitably
                > removing any lengthy music score.

                Hi Geoff: With some shows nowadays, the opening credits are as long as the mid-episode bumpers used to be, some 5 to 10 seconds or so.

                > The Mission Impossible episode I was thinking of
                > was `A Game Of Chess' in the second season specifically
                > where Barney was feeding Rollin Hand chess moves through
                > an earjack & Cinnamon with a camera broach. Barney would
                > have been the home base.

                Thanks, Geoff, for the title of that M:I episode. Don't know if I remember ever seeing that one. The original airdate for "A Game of Chess" was 1-14-68, according to epguides.

                > Here's something for all of you to have a ponder on
                > when the re-release happens, see if you can ponder
                > on whether any Search plots have been used elsewhere. It
                > doesn't mean they used the surveillance equipment.
                > Theoretically, `The Bullet' could still be done without it.

                Hmm. I'm not sure if I completely see where you want us to go with this question. I guess you mean plots used on Search which appeared in other productions before and after Search.

                We've discussed before how "The Chairman" and "The Bullet" are similar in that an agent must go to a foreign country, retrieve a formula, and is faced with having to make a seemingly impossible escape. Another major plot point of "The Bullet" is the hero slowly dying of the poison, similar to the film noir, "D.O.A."
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
                  --- In probe_control, Robert McNay wrote:
                  > I only like this kind of stuff if it actually
                  > contributes something to the show. Too many times
                  > I've watched or listened to the newly done
                  > commentaries on shows from long past (both TV &
                  > movies), only to realize as they talk, the
                  > commentator really doesn't remember much and is
                  > kinda "winging it".

                  Hi Robert: This is true. I also prefer the commentaries which are well done, or bring forward information we never heard before anywhere else.

                  As I've mentioned before, someone with the Ian Fleming Foundation did a very nice job with the James Bond movie audio commentaries. Especially for the earlier Bond movies, old interview excerpts of people who are no longer with us were edited together so that, in many cases, they would be commenting on the scene which happened to be playing in the movie.

                  Kenneth Johnson is another example of someone who gives a tremendous amount of behind the scenes information with his Bionic series commentaries. There are times I suspect he's gathered material off imdb.com, but it shows he did some prior research before turning on the audio recorder.

                  I have the first season "Mannix" DVD set. For whatever reason, they let William Link do the audio commentary over the pilot episode. Link really had nothing to do with Mannix other than work with Richard Levinson over the first version of the series format. That format was given to Bruce Geller, who developed and changed it into what we finally saw on the air. It only took Link a few minutes to establish those facts. For the next 45 minutes or so, Link talked about Columbo and various of his other projects, and almost nothing else about Mannix.

                  I've heard complaints about other DVD sets. Reportedly, Glen Larson did the audio commentary for the pilot of "Alias Smith and Jones." But apparently he just wings it and talks about what you are already seeing on screen. "See? They are robbing the bank." And so forth.

                  One thing that is happening is that audio commentaries have been done for, say, some of the Star Trek movies and episodes, and for the newer version of Battlestar Galactica, which are only available online. Some of these are by the production people who helped make the shows/movies and are quite good. And others are, for the most part, junk put together by fans. (Occasionally a pro DVD release will have a fan commentary which turns out okay, as with The Bionic Woman set.)

                  I'm sure there are other examples both good and bad regarding the audio commentaries which have been released.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
                    --- In probe_control, actingman6 wrote:
                    > ...It turns out I had sung that song in the show. I still
                    > have no memory of having done it...

                    I remember reading an article years ago about how Johnny Carson and his staff would put together his anniversary shows every year. They would gather a bunch of old clips they wanted to show, and then Johnny and his staff would watch the clips. There were many times when Johnny said he had NO memory of doing a particular skit, even though he was there and carried as much as 100 percent of the skit.

                    Mark Goddard of "Lost in Space" was at DragonCon a few years ago. Our program track had him come in to do a running audio commentary before an audience as an episode played on a big screen. We ran "Space Primevals," one of the few episodes they made which really features him. A couple of times as the episode ran, he said, "I have no memory of doing ANY of that!"
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
                      Kenneth Johnson's commentary on the first "V" miniseries was amazing.

                      It was like going to film school.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
                        --- In probe_control "dghprobe3" wrote:
                        > ...audio commentaries have been done for, say, some
                        > of the Star Trek movies and episodes, and for the
                        > newer version of Battlestar Galactica, which are only
                        > available online...

                        In the case of the newer reimagined Battlestar Galactica, the audio commentaries were apparently made available online first, then I guess these were also placed on the pro DVD sets? I don't have any of those sets, so someone else will need to clear this up for me. :) In the case of Trek, some of those commentaries are currently only available online.
                      • Marta Dawes
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
                          Two of the best commentaries I've ever heard were completely different from
                          each other. The first was on the French DVD of 1980 "Flash Gordon," done by
                          the director. He spoke about all the different aspects of each scene in the
                          film, casting, story, stage design, special effects, and personalities, and
                          it was riveting. The other was on the DVD of "Used Cars." Kurt Russell,
                          Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale reminisced about every scene, telling stories
                          and having a great time. Quite a lot of the commentaries that are put out,
                          though, are boring and just not worth listening to. Arnold Schwarzenegger
                          was terrible on the "Total Recall" commentary.

                          Marta

                          http://www.steveandmarta.com – Home of the Graveyards of Omaha!

                          All we are saying...
                          is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon

                          “The Goddess Hathor: Great One of the Many Names, Lady of the Stars, Queen
                          of the Harp Playing, the One Who Fills the Sanctuary with Joy, Mistress of
                          Turquoise, Lady of the Sycamores, the Golden One.”

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
                            DVRs are really good for skipping commercials. I won't watch "Fringe" live,
                            but wait till it's done, then go through it in 45 minutes rather than the
                            hour it takes with commercials, fast forwarding during the ads.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
                                Sorry.  I read Marta's e-mail before I read yours, John.

                                Nice to know you and I are in agreement.  :D

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 15, 2012
                                  Geoff,

                                  You're absolutely right about advertisers getting you hooked and then in decreasing the interval between adverts. In the TV movies over here, they figure once you've gotten through to the final 40 minutes or so, they can throw a set of adverts at you every 6 minutes and you'll put up with it because you want to see the end of the movie.

                                  And again, some channels air more adverts than others. As I type this I've just finished watching a rerun of 'I Spy' and have moved into 'The Saint' on the FamNet Channel, and each show has had a minimal amount of adverts in them, but they do show adverts between the shows. for these two shows, and when they air other reruns, the shows are virtually unedited, and you'll get one or two adverts every 15 minutes, with each advert running between 15 and 30 seconds each (making it hell when you have to use the loo and the advert break is in the middle of an action scene!); in fact their last break had only one advert that ran about 25 seconds. SyFy, on the other hand, is one of those that shows airs about 5 minutes of adverts every 10 minutes or so.

                                  As to the mute button, especially on those long-winded advert periods (such as on Syfy), I'll flip through a few pages of something like a telescope catalogue or some such thing, and glance up at the screen when my peripheral vision detects a break between adverts. If it's another advert, another few pages flip through; if the show's back, the mute button goes off. So I don't subject myself to silent, subliminal adverts. (This explains why it's taking me so long to type this; FamNet's adverts are very short and far between, so I can't type much in one stretch.)

                                  As to the last... it's more of if I like the show, I'll watch it (muting the annoying adverts as mentioned), and then buy the DVDs if I really like it (i.e. 'Doctor Who'). I put up with the adverts on BBC America, and do buy the DVD box sets when there's enough in the coffers - Classic and New Series: although I must say I liked it better when 'Who' aired on PBS with no adverts). If it's a show I like, bur it doesn't quite strike that fancy, I'll just keep an eye out for the reruns and watch it again every so often. (Some examples would be the original 'Knight Rider', or 'Bonanza', or 'Mission: Impossible', etc.)

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 15, 2012
                                    You should have had Mark Goddard comment on "The Great Vegetable Rebellion". According to him, and most of the cast, that's one episode they ALL wish they could forget! I'd bet he'd have some fun commentary on that one! (Every show seems to have one of these; for LIS it was the above; for Trek it was "Spock's Brain"; 'Doctor Who' had "The Gunfighters"... strange that these were all in the 1960s.)

                                    I remember the Carson anniversary shows. The one I remember best was when they showed a clip of the longest sustained audience laugh ever:

                                    Carson (as The Great Carnak): holds envelope up to his head; "Siss, boom, bah."
                                    McMahon (echoing Carnak): "Siss, boom, bah."
                                    Carson (Carnak, giving McMahon the usual 'Do you always have to repeat me?' look): tears open the envelope and pulls out the paper inside, unfolds it and reads: "The sound of a sheep exploding."

                                    It started out as a low groan, and then rapidly increased to the point where the audience just couldn't stop laughing. (Neither could Carson or the rest of the "regulars" after a few seconds of that. I think the laughing went on for 5 minutes straight.)

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 16, 2012
                                      One thing I do remember is I was watching the night it originally
                                      aired...and that is one of the few sequences I could quote from memory from
                                      then until now.

                                      On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 1:33 AM, <LambuLambu@...> wrote:

                                      > **
                                      >

                                      > I remember the Carson anniversary shows. The one I remember best was when
                                      > they showed a clip of the longest sustained audience laugh ever:
                                      >
                                      > Carson (as The Great Carnak): holds envelope up to his head; "Siss, boom,
                                      > bah."
                                      > McMahon (echoing Carnak): "Siss, boom, bah."
                                      > Carson (Carnak, giving McMahon the usual 'Do you always have to repeat
                                      > me?' look): tears open the envelope and pulls out the paper inside, unfolds
                                      > it and reads: "The sound of a sheep exploding."
                                      >
                                      > It started out as a low groan, and then rapidly increased to the point
                                      > where the audience just couldn't stop laughing. (Neither could Carson or
                                      > the rest of the "regulars" after a few seconds of that. I think the
                                      > laughing went on for 5 minutes straight.)
                                      >
                                      > Dino.

                                    • Robert McNay
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 16, 2012
                                        That bit is probably still one of the clearest memories I have of the show,
                                        too. That and the night The Muppets guest hosted The Tonight Show. They were
                                        allowed to get a little more "adult" in their humor and remember Animal's
                                        incessant "wo-man, wo-man, wo-man" and Kermit, as host, shushing him,
                                        leaving Animal sitting at the desk next to Kermie, breathing heavily as he
                                        looked down. Then, Bernadette Peters (who was a total babe at the time),
                                        talking about how she liked Kermit but Animal was more her type. I remember
                                        Animal's head slowly rising up, his mouth open, eyes opening wide and
                                        quietly saying "Woman want Animal?" The usual Muppet mayhem ensued as Animal
                                        tried to get over Kermit to Ms Peters.

                                        Rob McNay
                                        Chicago IL

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 17, 2012
                                          --- In probe_control, LambuLambu@... wrote:
                                          > You should have had Mark Goddard comment on
                                          > "The Great Vegetable Rebellion"...

                                          Actually, a few years earlier, in 2006, we did just that. In fact, we had both Mark Goddard and Marta Kristen armed with microphones so we could have a dual commentary. However, Marta's mike did not work, so it was left to Mark to do the speaking. He mainly just groaned most of the time, however. But there was a Q&A session after the episode ran, which turned out nicely.

                                          His commentary was somewhat better in 2010 for "Space Primevals."
                                        • Paul Holmes
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 18, 2012
                                            Shades of Mystery Science Theater 3000 ?

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 18, 2012
                                              What I would ask any of them is why they never mentioned the fact that the
                                              original version of that script was intended to introduce a new on-going
                                              character to the show...a talking llama. I saw the Fantasy Worlds special
                                              in the 90's on TV and none of them said a word about it. I never learned
                                              about the llama until the full saturation of the internet at the turn of
                                              the century. There is even a publicity photo of Marta with the llama.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 18, 2012
                                                --- In probe_control, John <actingman6@...> wrote:
                                                > What I would ask any of them is why they never mentioned
                                                > the fact that the original version of that script was
                                                > intended to introduce a new on-going character to the
                                                > show...a talking llama. I saw the Fantasy Worlds special
                                                > in the 90's on TV and none of them said a word about it.
                                                > I never learned about the llama until the full saturation
                                                > of the internet at the turn of the century. There is even a
                                                > publicity photo of Marta with the llama.
                                                ------

                                                It's possible the Llama was mentioned somewhere during one of the DragonCon question and answer sessions over the years. In 2006, there was the audio commentary over "Vegetable Rebellion," and I believe there were at least two different Q&A sessions during the convention.

                                                In 2010, there was Goddard's better commentary over "Primevals," along with two Q&A sessions with Goddard and Kristen.

                                                Even earlier, in 2004, we had a panel featuring June Lockhart, Goddard, and Kristen, but I don't recall if the Llama was mentioned. I'd have to check my recordings, and all of these were taped either on audio or video.

                                                -----
                                                From TvParty and Joel Eisner:
                                                http://www.tvparty.com/unseenirwin1.html

                                                ...Irwin decided to add a talking giraffe to the cast but discovered it was too tall to fit into the shots with the casts so he changed it to a talking kangaroo with the voice of Hermione Gingold but that was changed to a talking purple llama with the voice of actor Richard Haydn.

                                                The llama (yes, a real llama) was painted purple and added to The Great Vegetable Rebellion episode and was supposed to join the cast at the end onboard the Jupiter 2. However, Dr. Smith, who was turned into a stalk of celery in the episode, was constantly attacked by the animal and refused to return to work unless the animal was gone.

                                                The llama was out and the part rewritten for actor James Millhollin (who is listed in the credits as Willoughby the llama) but he ultimately did not join the cast...
                                                -----

                                                Even more detail about the Llama is at this link:
                                                http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/bruce/LiS_TGVR%203/index.html

                                                And the publicity pic of Judy with the Llama:
                                                http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/K85AGo7AH1Z4MpkB6GHgrw

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 19, 2012
                                                    I had read that article on Uncle Odie's, but it didn't really register on
                                                    me until now that they had a second Llama episode written and ready to go.
                                                    They had three more episodes to film after Vegatable...Prison Planet,
                                                    Space Beauty and Junkyard (in that order.) Interesting to wonder which of
                                                    those episodes, or maybe all of them, would not have existed if the Llama
                                                    had worked out.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 19, 2012
                                                      Hmmm, read all this about the LiS llama, I can't help but think of one thing.

                                                      Would be saying "rode the llama" now, instead of "jumped the shark":?

                                                      Rob McNay
                                                      Chicago IL

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jun 19, 2012
                                                        Very possibly. Irwin's problem, I think, was that he had no sense of humor
                                                        (in the most literal way) and no sense of the absurd...or of what was
                                                        absurd. Obviously he could sense when a character was breaking out, and
                                                        understood how that could generate interest in a series, otherwise he would
                                                        have stopped Mr. Harris from transforming the Smith character from the
                                                        start. But I don't think he could see where it became absurd. So a
                                                        talking Llama would, to him, be a new story element, but he wouldn't see
                                                        how that was more strange than interesting.