Update from Warner Archives

  • searchfan72
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3 9:08 PM
      Hi to everyone.
      Yesterday I asked for an update from Warner Archives about SEARCH and today this is response I got.
      From WAC
      The only update to provide is that we are still planning to release the series. A time consuming technical process is involved in order to work with this series given the state of the elements, and another series requiring that same extra work has to be completed first before we can start on SEARCH. The other series is just wrapping up, so SEARCH will be next on deck. Thank for your patiences.

      Wanted to share with the group.
    • Martin Parrott
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3 9:12 PM
        Holy mackerel! Could I actually see this in my lifetime?!

        Thanks for the update.

        Martin from Texas

      • dmanmetz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , May 4 4:55 AM
          Good news to hear.

          Yesterday I asked for an update from Warner Archives about SEARCH and today this is response I got.
          From WAC
          The only update to provide is that we are still planning to release the series. A time consuming technical process is involved in order to work with this series given the state of the elements, and another series requiring that same extra work has to be completed first before we can start on SEARCH. The other series is just wrapping up, so SEARCH will be next on deck. Thank for your patiences.

          Wanted to share with the group.

        • Phil Satterley
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4 7:35 AM
            Thanks for the update! Sounds more of an elements issue rather than a rights issue or something like that. Chances are they need to send some elements through "advanced restoration". This is one of those instances where something unforeseen probably came up with one or more episodes. For example an ugly long scratch throughout the film, which then they would need to being the problem area into a system to manually "paint" out the problems, which can take many man hours to complete. Not sure if this is the case or not but just an example of what can delay things.

            Phil

            Message 5 of 15 , May 4 7:49 AM
              It is also possible, with their limited budget, that they are checking all
              possible sources for decent copies before they have to go into the more
              expensive original sources....not to mention just finding the stuff in the
              first place.

              It is amazing how easily you can "misplace" something over the
              decades...even if it hasn't moved from it's original spot.

              If they had been able to go to a vault and pull out all of the 35mm copies
              NBC had used, and they were in decent shape (without having turned red)
              then it might have been released by now.

              On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Phil Satterley <progrocktv@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Thanks for the update! Sounds more of an elements issue rather than a
              > rights issue or something like that. Chances are they need to send some
              > elements through "advanced restoration". This is one of those instances
              > where something unforeseen probably came up with one or more episodes. For
              > example an ugly long scratch throughout the film, which then they would
              > need to being the problem area into a system to manually "paint" out the
              > problems, which can take many man hours to complete. Not sure if this is
              > the case or not but just an example of what can delay things.
              >
              > Phil

            • progrocktv
              Message 6 of 15 , May 5 10:49 AM
                --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, John <actingman6@...> wrote:

                > If they had been able to go to a vault and pull out all of the 35mm copies
                > NBC had used, and they were in decent shape (without having turned red)
                > then it might have been released by now.

                Actually when I was at Starz I spoke with WB about what elements exist and they did confirm at least 35mm copies did exist in their database (which someone else on this forum also confirmed). However I am also wondering if they actually found print negatives which then helped them make the decision of a possible Blu Ray release? Since the show wasn't in wide syndication, the masters probably sat on the shelf in the vault for years safely untouched. Now that I think about it I wonder if the film to HD conversion might be the delay as well? (in other words the transfers are taking longer than originally thought) In theory it's simple to do a 35mm to HD conversion, however you never really know what problems you'll encounter until you actually start doing it, and believe me there are MANY (color space issues, frame conversion issues, finding those horrible large streaks, etc.)

                Cheers!
                Phil
                Message 7 of 15 , May 5 11:30 AM
                  Hello Phil

                  None of those Warner�s specials have been
                  in blu-ray, so I doubt if that�ll happen on short runs. Just because the reels
                  have been on the shelf doesn�t mean they�re perfect. They might have to do
                  colour checks � the stills John put on site went red over the years after all �
                  along the way. They�ve at least got the right equipment to check and correct.

                  To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                  From: progrocktv@...
                  Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 17:49:40 +0000
                  Subject: [probe_control] Re: Update from Warner Archives

                  --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, John <actingman6@...> wrote:

                  > If they had been able to go to a vault and pull out all of the 35mm copies

                  > NBC had used, and they were in decent shape (without having turned red)

                  > then it might have been released by now.

                  Actually when I was at Starz I spoke with WB about what elements exist and they did confirm at least 35mm copies did exist in their database (which someone else on this forum also confirmed). However I am also wondering if they actually found print negatives which then helped them make the decision of a possible Blu Ray release? Since the show wasn't in wide syndication, the masters probably sat on the shelf in the vault for years safely untouched. Now that I think about it I wonder if the film to HD conversion might be the delay as well? (in other words the transfers are taking longer than originally thought) In theory it's simple to do a 35mm to HD conversion, however you never really know what problems you'll encounter until you actually start doing it, and believe me there are MANY (color space issues, frame conversion issues, finding those horrible large streaks, etc.)

                  Cheers!

                  Phil

                • Marta Dawes
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 5 12:44 PM
                    I like your way of looking on the bright side of the possibilities. If this
                    truly is why it's taking longer, I can wait. :-)

                    Marta

                    http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!

                    Vote Steve Dawes for Bellevue, Nebraska City Council Ward 1! -
                    http://www.stevedawes2012.com

                    "The Goddess Hathor: Great One of the Many Names, Lady of the Stars, Queen
                    of the Harp Playing, the One Who Fills the Sanctuary with Joy, Mistress of
                    Turquoise, Lady of the Sycamores, the Golden One."

                    > If they had been able to go to a vault and pull out all of the 35mm
                    > copies NBC had used, and they were in decent shape (without having
                    > turned red) then it might have been released by now.

                    Actually when I was at Starz I spoke with WB about what elements exist and
                    they did confirm at least 35mm copies did exist in their database (which
                    someone else on this forum also confirmed). However I am also wondering if
                    they actually found print negatives which then helped them make the decision
                    of a possible Blu Ray release? Since the show wasn't in wide syndication,
                    the masters probably sat on the shelf in the vault for years safely
                    untouched. Now that I think about it I wonder if the film to HD conversion
                    might be the delay as well? (in other words the transfers are taking longer
                    than originally thought) In theory it's simple to do a 35mm to HD
                    conversion, however you never really know what problems you'll encounter
                    until you actually start doing it, and believe me there are MANY (color
                    space issues, frame conversion issues, finding those horrible large streaks,
                    etc.)

                    Cheers!
                    Phil

                  • Robert McNay
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 5 4:42 PM
                      The Warner Archives MOD system doesn't do BluRay, only DVD.

                      Rob McNay
                      Chicago IL

                      > If they had been able to go to a vault and pull out all of the 35mm
                      > copies NBC had used, and they were in decent shape (without having
                      > turned red) then it might have been released by now.

                      Actually when I was at Starz I spoke with WB about what elements exist and
                      they did confirm at least 35mm copies did exist in their database (which
                      someone else on this forum also confirmed). However I am also wondering if
                      they actually found print negatives which then helped them make the decision
                      of a possible Blu Ray release? Since the show wasn't in wide syndication,
                      the masters probably sat on the shelf in the vault for years safely
                      untouched. Now that I think about it I wonder if the film to HD conversion
                      might be the delay as well? (in other words the transfers are taking longer
                      than originally thought) In theory it's simple to do a 35mm to HD
                      conversion, however you never really know what problems you'll encounter
                      until you actually start doing it, and believe me there are MANY (color
                      space issues, frame conversion issues, finding those horrible large streaks,
                      etc.)

                      Cheers!
                      Phil

                    • martin allen
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 5 5:24 PM
                               I dislike being the proverbial wet blanket, but aren't we jumping the gun a bit anticipating Blu-Ray on 'Search' when we'll be lucky to even get DVD-R? Let's not forget there's a reason those episodes sat on the shelf or a rack in a warehouse for decades. Remember, they were coded For Export Only. For whatever reason, (my paranoid guess would be that they were just out to screw Leslie Stevens), they didn't want this thing shown Stateside ever again. It's only now that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel that the suits are considering releasing the show at all--and that on the on-demand system. I don't mean to sound cruel and nasty, but someone has to say it. Go ahead and hate all over me if you must, I'm used to it. I'm willing to bet the main reason for the delay is the music clearances. Anyone who crosses BMI (Broadcast Music International) lives to regret it...

                        Martin

                        ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 6 10:31 AM
                            --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...> wrote:

                            > None of those Warner's specials have been
                            > in blu-ray, so I doubt if that'll happen on short runs. Just because the reels
                            > have been on the shelf doesn't mean they're perfect. They might have to do
                            > colour checks – the stills John put on site went red over the years after all –
                            > along the way. They've at least got the right equipment to check and correct.

                            Actually I might have jumped the gun on a Blu-Ray release, but at some point they did indicate they were going to possibly remaster in HD which could, logistically, allow them to do a Blu-Ray release at some point of they decide to start doing them.

                            From the Archive's Facebook Page (June 2011):
                            "Warner Archive Collection <https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive> SEARCH loyalists can take solace in knowing we took care of our clearance issues just by the end of the week! Now onto mastering. Not RE-mastering, since this series was never mastered to video. No guarantees yet, but we've made this a top priority, as PROBE sales were awesome, and we expect the same for the series. Mastered in HD!!"

                            Cheers!
                            Phil
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 6 11:23 AM
                              Considering how obscure some of the old movie titles they are releasing, I
                              have wondered if they are using Archive sales to fund a 21st century
                              mastering of their entire library...at least bringing some things up to the
                              video era...if not necessarily to 1080 levels.

                              The use of the term "HD" can be subjective. Fox was disgraceful in their
                              Lost In Space release...using late 80's video transfers (two episodes were
                              missing footage), but they redeemed themselves by releasing the three other
                              Irwin Allen series using transfers from inter-positives. Voyage, Tunnel
                              and Giants are all HD compared to Space, but they are not Blu-Ray 1080.

                              Courtship of Eddie's Father is marked as "remastered." My guess is that by
                              the time the studios were mastering their libraries to tape in the late
                              80's, Courtship had run it's syndication life, and was never touched.
                              Therefore, they had to go to the inter-positives, which is more expensive.
                              It is very unlikely that Search saw any 80's mastering, so they may have to
                              go to the more pure sources to make transfers.

                              Fingers crossed that any of my thinking is correct, and that we shall see
                              some amazing film quality.

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 6 11:34 AM
                                Sony has used 35mm prints to remaster Ghost Story/ Circle Of Fear and the
                                episodes look superb. The Ghost Story episodes even have the next episode
                                previews.
                                The only thing missing is the pre episode teaser for the Circle Of Fear
                                episodes, I can deal with it though with the overall superb quality that
                                Sony did on the release.

                                John

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 6 11:35 AM
                                  The one thing that the studios are doing on the cheap with these On demand
                                  releases are the DVD menus, they suck. I've seen better menus on
                                  bootleg sets.

                                  John