website development

  • richard.rutherford@chch.ox.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2001
      John asked for ideas on what should be priorities here. I was one of
      those who suggested some sounds would be a good idea. I had in mind
      the kind of funny one-liners that you wouldn't necessarily want to
      watch an episode to hear again-- like 'You really can pick 'em,
      Bianco' from 'One of our Probes', or just typical comments like
      'Let's not get overstimulated, Lockwood' or Gloria's 'Lie!' comments.
      But there are lots of ways of doing this. An excellent site which is
      much more ambitious than we'd need to be is the Star Trek Audio Logs
      at
      http://www.stinsv.com/tos.htm (with further pages for the more recent
      series)
      But I'd give priority to putting up the rest of the scripts first.
      @Ends of the Earth' would be esp useful as that is only available in
      audio form, and it can be hard to follow what's happening in the
      second half.

      Different topic entirely: episode titles. Can anyone explain to me
      what 'The Gold Machine' is supposed to mean? Is this some strange
      sense of machine I don't know? I can understand that 'The Gold Mine'
      might be a bit dull, but 'The Gold Caper' or 'Operation Gold Rush' or
      something else would have made more sense than the title Stevens
      chose. Star Trek also fell into this kind of meaningless title
      sometimes--e.g. 'The Paradise Syndrome'.
      Richard