size is everything

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2012
      Hello Dino

      Re: your garden. I presume it isn�t
      particularly cluttered with anything.

      A lot of the time, the eye is easily
      fooled. If you see a housing plot over here � we have smaller living rooms than
      many US homes, you wonder at the size of the living room/lounge because it
      looks so small but put walls around the space and the head accepts it as
      looking bigger.

      With the Voyager bridge, allowances have
      to be made to for the oblong width of the television set to ensure if fills the
      screen even before anything else is done. As to real life bridges on ships. If
      you had too much space between stations everyone would be shouting all the time
      to pass information. Not much good in a storm or being chucked back into the
      past a�la �The Final Countdown� which showed the bridge space on the Nimitz
      which was my first encounter to how small it was for such a large aircraft
      carrier.

      Re: Matchless. I did wonder when I looked
      at the IMDB page that you hooked onto another �St. John� name cos there was an
      actor with that surname in there.

      My viewing of UTube clips still comes over
      silent so will have to download to listen to that one later. 53mB size. Yeech!

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2012
        Geoff,

        My garden is about 75% of my front yard, and it's FULL of azaleas.
        (Probably not the best example to have used on this one, but the photos still look
        like it does when you're standing in front of it.)

        I know different homes have different sized living rooms, which is why I
        gave approximate foot dimensions. Sometimes I think my house was built by a
        builder who came over from the UK because our rooms and closets are so small
        that when we had friends from the UK visiting us a couple of years ago
        they liked out house because the room sizes reminded them of their house.

        The Voyager bridge: I can see that. TOS' ENTERORISE's bridge could be
        filmed so the whole bridge filled the TV screen because that bridge had no
        ceiling. VOYAGER's bridge did, so to get that full-frontal view the camera
        needed the wide angle lens as it shot through the main viewer wall which was
        rolled out of the way. (In fact the only time it was in place was when it was
        needed for a scene, otherwise it was always rolled aside and most of the
        filming was done from that angle.)

        And as for shouting commands... What you saw in "Final Countdown" was
        probably closer to real-life than you realize. On every ship I've been aboard
        commands are always shouted even of the Conning officer is only 5 feet away
        from the helmsman. That's done to ensure that everyone on the bridge hears.
        The commands are shouted back to make sure there was no error. One example:
        The Conning officer was standing about 6 feet from the wheel and bellowed
        "RIGHT FIVE DEGREEES RUDDER!" The man at the wheel shouted back "LEFT FIVE
        DEGREES RUDDER, AYE, AYE, SIR!" and began turning the wheel the wrong way.
        The Conning officer somehow missed that, but the lookout on the outside
        bridge wing didn't and shouted in through the door "HE SAID 'RIGHT' FIVE
        DEGREES!" The Conning officer then looked up at the rudder angle indicator, saw
        the rudder was at the wrong way, and bellowed even louder the correct
        command (only this time he had to give TEN degrees rudder to compensate.

        So all commands are shouted, even in the middle of the night. (Maybe that's
        why they put the bridge at the top, so it's far from the berthing areas?)

        As for the Youtube video of "Matchless" and sound, there really isn't much
        dialogue in it. A little taunting from the bad guy while he's got Matchless
        strung up. The best bit is near the end of the clip when Matchless is in
        the cab. The cabbie sees an 'invisible man' in his rear view mirror one
        minute and then Matchless the next, and starts talking to himself because he
        thinks he's going crazy. When Matchless pays him outside the cab at the
        airport, he tells the cabbie, "No, you weren't seeing things. I really was
        invisible for a while." The cabbie laughs and says, "Oh good. I guess I'm not
        going crazy after all then." (I guess the cabbie believes Matchless because
        the cabbie doesn't mention the invisible thing, so when Matchless tells him
        about it, unless Matchless is a mind-reader, the cabbie has to believe what
        he saw was real?)

        And I didn't make the St. John connection until after I read the cast list
        on the TCM web site. (Makes me wonder of there is any relation between Jill
        and Howard St. John.)

        Dino.