No wax

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2012
      Hello Dino

      35
      minutes into �The Wax Men�, Crane gets into the Flying Sub via the top. FS1 is
      disabled, probably by the wax Nelson, who hid in the back. This didn�t mean
      Nelson got in the back way or Crane would have used an alternative way in than
      avoiding the bridge crew.

      Very
      weird watching the story. Crane has a very odd way to do welding the FS1
      electronics when a soldering iron might have been a better choice. Mind you, he
      wouldn�t have beaten the wax Nelson without it. Shame he didn�t try a fire
      extinguisher and see if cold would work.

      What
      kind of sub needs 18 feet high rooms. Oh, when Crane first escapes from the
      bridge, he essentially is behind their bulkhead and there�s a doorway which
      would lead directly into the hull in one direction. I don�t think people are
      supposed to think about these things too much.

      wonder if they made candles from the remains??

      Hello John

      agree with you about the FS1. I�m wondering if Dino is thinking about the
      rescue of the Seaview �Submarine Sunk Here� but that was done by the bathysphere
      than the FS1.

      By the by, everyone

      finally finished watching the super-hero �Birds Of Prey� tonight. Considering
      the earring audio-jacks and the one use of goggles by Dinah Lance for Oracle to
      see what she was doing in the pilot episode, brings another �Search�
      connection, especially when Huntress says �Copy that.�

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24, 2012
        Geoff,

        Fair point about the wax Nelson possibly hiding in the back of FS1 rather than entering that way. Since it was never explained in the series (that I can remember) whether or not one could enter FS1 from SEAVIEW that way, I'll have to go with you on this one.

        Crane wielding the FS1's electronics (a typical Irwin Allan wildly sparking cable, if I remember correctly) is definitely a better way to deal with a murderous wax zombie than a soldering iron - sort of like a knife vs. a two-handed broadsword or a longer-than-usual Katana (think the sword used by "Thirteen" in "Seven Samurai"). You could arc-weld the wax-guy to death in seconds, where as a soldering iron, the average which is not much larger than a fine-point Sharpie, would take several strikes and put you within arms' reach of the murdering waxman. (Although, this brings to mind Christopher Walken's catch phrase from "Meet Joe Dirt" - "You ever been stabbed in the face with a hot soldering iron?") And making candles from the waxmen remains? Okay; now that is sick - creative, but sick!

        I think only SEAVIEW's Missile Room had 18-foot ceilings - the "overhead" in nautical terminology. (Not sure how high the overhead is in a missile room of a modern sub... don't have the clearance to get into one now, and never had the chance to when I had the clearance.) But the Missile Room also had the winches used to raise and lower the diving bell, mini-sub, and torpedo racks. So, I can almost give them that space as necessary to accommodate the necessary machinery. The rest of the sub, aside from the control room and maybe sleeping areas (Nelson's Cabin, Crane's stateroom, etc.), looked more like 12-foot overheads, which is still excessive, even on surface ships. So again I'm with you there.

        When you mention Crane escaping from the bridge, do you mean the Control Room? The bridge is that little "gopher hole" at the top of the sail which we saw in several episodes, and that only had one deck hatch leading down into the sail. The control room had all of that equipment in it, including the periscope. If you do mean the control room (aft door), I don't remember another door nearby leading into the hull. Other hallways (passageways), yes, but the hull is the outer skin of the sub.

        With regards to the rescue of the crew (presumable still SEAVIEW's, or the sub from "Grey Lady Down", both subs had heeled over too far for any rescue vehicle to mate with a hatch. In the case of SEAVIEW, they corrected this by counter-flooding a compartment on the opposite side. In "Grey Lady", they blew the ballast tank on the 'down' side of the sub hoping the added buoyancy would be enough to right the sub to the proper angle for the rescue craft to mate with the hatch. In both cases the rescue vehicle was a sort of "diving bell": SEAVIEW's was a bell (or ball); in "Grey Lady" they used a self-propelled bell, or bathyscaphe. Same principle, though. I can't remember SEAVIEW's crew ever using FS1 for such a rescue type operation.

        As to your other post, I'm still thinking on that one. My brain is running dry.