Re: [probe_control] its the real thing

    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
      Didn't forget, Geoff. I just didn't know how long you've been doing it. Sorry if I offended in any way.

      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
        Does anyone remember the original 'Dark Shadows' from the '60s? (Talk about wobbly sets!) That series ran from 1966 to 1971 and the sets never stopped wobbling. (There's a old joke among the 'Dark Shadows' fans that the reason they never had a blooper reel for the show was because all of the bloopers were left in the show!)

        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
          Yes indeed and the entire series is being released as one massive box set,
          selling price on Amazon is $419.99.
          Anyone remember Canada's version of Dark Shadows, it was called Strange
          Paradise?

          John

          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
            Yes...and my comment about the BBC wobbles was actually something I had
            heard someone else along the way say, and then I started noticing it more.

            It happens everywhere.

            I was doing a sketch comedy tv show in college, and in one sketch I was
            writing a story, and you saw the characters act it out as I wrote it. A
            heavy door flat fell right over and hit someone in the head. I
            just ad-libbed around it and said it was part of a his character that not
            even a falling wall could deter him.

            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
              The classic blooper from Dark Shadows is when a guy was pushed off of a
              cliff, lands on the pillows or whatever was used to break his fall, and
              then bounces back up into the scene!

              John

              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                Let us know if it ever comes out on DVD...the write up on Wikipedia looks
                interesting.

                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                  I'm a huge Doctor Who fan and collect all of the dvds. With the high
                  quality that they are being remastered the wobbly bits really stand out.
                  There is a story called The Chase which is partly set on a desert planet.
                  On the remastered dvds you can clearly see that the supposed sand is only
                  wrinkled up drop cloth which clearly moves as the actors move around.

                  John

                  Yes...and my comment about the BBC wobbles was actually something I had
                  heard someone else along the way say, and then I started noticing it more.

                  It happens everywhere.

                  I was doing a sketch comedy tv show in college, and in one sketch I was
                  writing a story, and you saw the characters act it out as I wrote it. A
                  heavy door flat fell right over and hit someone in the head. I
                  just ad-libbed around it and said it was part of a his character that not
                  even a falling wall could deter him.

                  On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM, <LambuLambu@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Does anyone remember the original 'Dark Shadows' from the '60s? (Talk
                  > about wobbly sets!) That series ran from 1966 to 1971 and the sets never
                  > stopped wobbling. (There's a old joke among the 'Dark Shadows' fans that
                  > the reason they never had a blooper reel for the show was because all of
                  > the bloopers were left in the show!)
                  >
                  > Dino.

                • Bryan Durk
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                    This American Life recently repeated their episode where they have a correspondent go to a Dark Shadows Convention. It was a really well done story. It's available as a podcast.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                      It aired on a now defunct retro channel in Canada a few years ago and I
                      managed to get every single episode. It ran for 196 episodes.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                        That's got to be one massive box! There were a total of 1225 episodes. (Granted, they were only about 23 minutes long without adverts, but still, that's quite a number.) Though, I've read somewhere because of preemptions and other such things, the numbering convention is vague, where some episodes were double (sometimes triple) numbered because they aired a week or two late. "Episode 441" might have been labeled "Episode 441/442" because of that extra week delay. So even though there were 1225 episodes, the final episode is numbered 1245.

                        Still, at that price it must be a lot of DVDs, and it's probably got hours of "extras" included (so even more DVDs in the box). Clear some room on that DVD shelf!

                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                          I think I remember that one!

                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                            American Life TV is no longer American Life TV. They changed a while ago to "Yoo Too TV". Now they're just irritating. You get 5 minutes of a TV show, and then 8-10 minutes of "You, too, can get yourself on TV, and this is how to send us your video or Youtube link..."

                            That's why it takes 45 minutes to get through a normal 30-minute (with adverts) 'Green Hornet' episode, and why I no longer watch that channel.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012

                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                                Back in the day when American Life had the Warner library they had a great
                                line up of shows.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                                  The dvds in the complete series set are identical to the ones released in
                                  the individual sets.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                                    Hi Dino,

                                    "This American Life" is an hour long NPR radio show, also carried on XM Satellite. It's very well done, and worth a listen. Each episode involves a theme, and several "acts" exploring that theme. www.thisamericanlife.org

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                                      Excerpt for Search, of course.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                                        Apparently SEARCH was buried in the archives and left to rot until us fans
                                        forcefully requested an official release.

                                        John

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 8, 2012
                                          Again, I think we would all like to know why Search was never allowed to be syndicated in the U.S. Why was it categorized as "for export only," to be aired only overseas?

                                          One of our speculations was that someone at Warner may have held a grudge against Leslie Stevens, but who knows what really happened? As Marta mentioned once, the reasons may be buried in the sands of time.

                                          From the 4-9-73 Times-Union article in Photos:
                                          "...The network's decision to drop Search was a big disappointment to him [Hugh O'Brian]. Search represented a lot of money and mental anguish to him..."
                                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/probe_control/photos/album/1973997832/pic/1208059879/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                                          I'm not sure that Search is being released on MOD DVD by Warner because we fans have somehow forced them to release it. They have been releasing a lot of movies and series in their vault for some time now, and I believe Search simplyl happened to crop up among numerous finds in the vault.

                                          --------------------------------------

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 9, 2012
                                            I couldn't agree more. I used to watch it an awful lot back then, and I miss it now.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 9, 2012
                                              Ok, I see. (You didn't mention in your post that it was an XM radio show, so I thought you were referring to the TV channel.)

                                              Thanks for providing the link.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 9, 2012
                                                Yes! And I believe there was some discussion here about writing to American Life TV to ask them about airing 'Search'. (At least that was one of the possible venues we were discussing for getting 'Search' shown again. Some others, I believe, were the Encore Action, Mystery, and I think there was another channel - which of course I can't remember now - but those two were in the running with AL for a 'Search' rebroadcast.)

                                                End Run,
                                                Dino

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 9, 2012
                                                  ME-TV is the next best alternative now. I live in the Metro Detroit and
                                                  the closet ME affiliate is WTOL in Toledo Ohio. As soon as the weather
                                                  breaks I'm going to be spending a $$$ to have a high powered fringe antenna
                                                  installed so that I can pick up this network.

                                                  John