Re: A Return to the Moon

  • graphotypist
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2012
      I remember the joke:

      "Space: 1999 -- While Supplies Last"

      Hmmmm . . .a remake of a TV series (1999) which was a shuffle of a TV series (UFO) . . .

      What's next, "My Mother the Car -- The Rock Opera" . . ?

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2012
        Didn�t that get
        remade as Knight Rider?? :-)

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        From: graphotypist@...
        Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 16:42:16 +0000
        Subject: [probe_control] Re: A Return to the Moon

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 12, 2012
          Interesting article. My big worry is good things never go as planned when the US gets their fingers into a British production. Case in point is Season 2 of the original 'Space: 1999'. Gerry Anderson said he had nothing but difficulties from US execs constantly telling him one week "We need more monsters" and then the next "You're using too many monsters; go for some conflict between the main characters this time". Anderson said he was very relieved when the show was cancelled because he no longer had to deal with US TV execs. Also look at the US version of 'Coupling'. (Horrible!)

          Or the US version of 'Being Human'. (Again, horrible. They totally failed to capture the humor that was in George, the werewolf, making his US version a worrying whiner without the humor that made made the British character's worrying - without the whiney aspect - funny.) They couldn't even be original with the vampire's name: Aidan; the actor playing the vampire in the British version is named Aidan. And let's not forget the US 1996 'Doctor Who' telemovie. It was 'not bad', but you could tell it was "Americanized". And don't forget the "Thunderbirds" movie.

          And iIs it just me, or do US producers insist on having interpersonal conflicts in just about everything they produce these days? They turned the 'Lost In Space' movie into a big family argument. They also had family arguments in "Thunderbirds". The live action "Josie and the Pussycats" and "Scooby-Doo" movies were full of conflicts. It's almost like US filmmakers do not know how to make anything unless they create conflict within the group instead of just letting there be group harmony while they fight the bad guys. (It worked in previous versions of the aforementioned shows.) And dare we touch on 'Galactica'? The original had the crew and Adama family working like a family. The new 'Galactica' was good; I liked it. But there could have been far less "in-fighting" amongst the Galactica crew and between Lee Adama and his father.

          "Torchwood: Miracle Day" worked because Starz left 90% of creative control with Russell T. Davies. The Starz exec who backed it was a huge 'Torchwood' fan and wanted more, but he didn't want to change Davies' visions for it, unlike Philip Segal who tried to make 'Doctor Who' his own. Thank you, BBC for fighting on that front, and even though the BBC did, Segal still Americanized it a little too much. If Segal had gotten his way, 'Doctor Who' wouldn't have been the movie we saw; it would have been a complete restart of the series, beginning with the Doctor leaving Gallifrey, and going into why he left; it's all in the book "Doctor Who Regeneration".

          I hope this new '2099' works, but the track record for the US doing what were British shows isn't good, so I've got my reservations.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 12, 2012
            Actually, the original '1999' wasn't a shuffle of 'UFO'. Gerry Anderson has said this in several interviews. There was going to be a second season of 'UFO', but it never happened.

            Once again the US wanted to get their fingers into a successful British series: 'UFO'. They wanted to back and get involved with a second season of 'UFO' because, let's face it, 'UFO was (and still is) a great show. The US producers who were backing the second season wanted to ramp things up, with the Earth being in a full war with the UFOs. So they were going to have Moonbase expanded to handle a large fleet of fighters that were superior to the Interceptors (and these new "fighters" were the eagles). So new models were being made, new costumes to reflect the quasi-military aspect of SHADO, drafts for new sets, and then the US backed out at the last minute leaving Gerry Anderson with models, some uniform changes, and not much else.

            Anderson decided to not let all of the new pre-production work go to waste, so he set about looking for a way to put it to good use. It took him a while, but he finally came up with the '1999' series idea. That's why 'UFO' aired in the UK in 1969 (in the US in 1970), and '1999' didn't hit the airwaves until 1974 in the UK (US in 1976). But '1999' was never intended to be the second season of 'UFO' as some people still talk about.

            And history repeated itself in that US producers saw how successful '1999' was and wanted in on it, so this time they backed a second season of the show, but instead of backing out, interfered with it so much that it was a flop.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 15, 2012
              That's what a shuffle is. Playing with the same deck, but not all of the original cards and everything in a different order.

              "S1999" was originally written as part of the "UFO" universe, but was rewritten to eliminate everything that connected it to the parent.

              Personally, I always thought that UFO was far superior, with more potential. 1999 was just the Brits' version of 'Lost in Space' -- without the robot.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15, 2012
                Yes...although I have never been able to generate discussion with it on the
                S:99 list, I have, on occasion, when someone was complaining about Year Two
                being a bastardization of Year One, reminded everyone that there have to be
                people out there who feel that Year One is just a bastardized Year Two of
                UFO.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 15, 2012