Re:

  • British 2010 Promo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2012
      Stingray was the Nick Mancuso 80s TV show.

    • Robert McNay
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
        Another show with way too short a run. They obviously had plans for the future
        because one of the last episodes, Robert Vaughn guest starred, and left it with
        the line, "of course I knew, I created him" referring to Ray.

        Rob McNay
        Chicago IL

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
          Twice used by NBC as a mid-season replacement. Both times equally as good a show. Mancuso's portrayal of Ray had a great mix of humor (blatant and subtle), seriousness, at times anger, and most definitely mystery. The character was great. The car was nice just to look at. The theme was well done. The style of filming harked to the original M:I series with a twist of its own.

          There was so much that could have been done with 'Stingray' but once more NBC blew it. If they knew they weren't going to pick it up as a full series, and weren't going to use it as another mid-season replacement, the least they could have done was given us one final 2-hour "finale" to end things; even a 1-hour finale would have been nice. Instead they left so much hanging with the Robert Vaughn episode (which was a great one if I remember).

          So once again NBC proved their initials stood for "No Brain Cells". Hmm... still does.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
            Hello Steve and
            Dino

            I pulled the �Stingray� season on DVD last
            year after you folk talked about it the year before. Quite novel and fun but
            either he does a lot of minor cases that we don�t see or he�s going to run out
            of people to get return favours from.

            Did any of you folk put together his back
            history?? It�s pretty obvious that Ray was an ex-military vet with Intelligence
            connections but doesn�t explain where he gets the funds for his derrying-do.

            To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
            From: LambuLambu@...
            Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 00:30:08 -0500

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
              There's scant info to be gleaned from the show.

              From references, he is intimately familiar with the Vietnam War and its
              aftermath, but in what capacity is unknown.

              You also get the impression that he's been doing this a long time, so he may
              have a lot of return favors out there to collect on.

              A couple of episodes, when the people he helped went back to where they thought
              he lived, they discovered the house belongs to someone else that he did a favor
              for. So, he doesn't need money for food or lodging.

              The only hint at a governmental connection was the Robert Vaughn episode and, in
              another episode, some one runs the Stingray's license plate. It comes back to
              "1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington D.C.".

              I don't know if anyones has watched it, but CBS has a show called "Persons of
              Interest" that has the same feel as Stingray. The stories have been very, very
              good. Jim Caviezel as Mr Reese exudes the same same charming, dangerous and very
              competent aire as Nick Mancuso did in Stingray.

              Rob McNay
              Chicago IL

                    I pulled the ‘Stingray’ season on DVD last
              year after you folk talked about it the year before. Quite novel and fun but
              either he does a lot of minor cases that we don’t see or he’s going to run out
              of people to get return favours from.

                    Did any of you folk put together his back
              history?? It’s pretty obvious that Ray was an ex-military vet with Intelligence
              connections but doesn’t explain where he gets the funds for his derrying-do.

              Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
              http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk

              WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

              AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
              SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ DMOZ
              ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
              SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

              To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
                Another thing to add to the things Rob points out is that Ray also has some sort of serious Yoga or some such training because he is able to control his body's autonomic functions. In one episode, the baddies lock him in a decompression chamber (I forget why) but Ray lies down on the cot inside it and closes his eyes. The baddie monitoring him from the outside opens the chamber when he sees that all of Ray's readings - heartbeat, breathing, ECG, etc. - have flat-lined. Once the baddie is inside and close enough to examine Ray, Ray springs to life and takes the baddie out, thus getting himself out of the chamber.

                Ray also had excellent control of his mind and was able to fight attempts to make him talk through electro-convulsive and "truth serum" treatments. In another episode the baddies had to administer an almost lethal dose of the truth serum in order to break through enough to get just a tidbit of into from Ray (i.e. who knew he was infiltrating the baddies), and even then Ray was able to fight it by telling them that people like Jimmy Carter and George Lucas knew, and they were all abducted by aliens, which really threw the baddies for a loop.

                And as to his sometimes dry humor, one scene from the pilot - shown first when the lead baddie had the upper hand, and then repeated when the tables had turned against the baddie - was when the baddie asks Ray, "Can you see me?" and Ray responds, "Yeah; but you look terrible." (The repeat scene being after the baddie is hit by a car.)

                I'd like to put Ray up against you, Geoff! You are formidable. I know you say that what you put me through is mild, but you really, REALLY, make me dig into the bedrock of my memories and experiences to find answers to some of your questions. (I wonder how Ray would fair?)