Re: [probe_control] MacMillan & wife-less

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
      Oi? I missed this one! Was this mentioned in one of the novels because I don't think it was mentioned in any of the follow-on series. (Although, being deployed on several Cutters during the time of TNG, DS9, and Voyager, I did miss quite a few episodes so it's possible I missed the one that had the reference.)

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
        Remember she did the Ponn-Far in STIII? That's a life long bonding. It was expanded upon in many of the books especially when he was doing his crusade work with the Romulans.

        Sent via smoke signal

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
          There was also some notion of her being pregnant by the young, regenerated
          Spock, which we would have learned about in Trek IV, but the idea was axed.

          On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:46 PM, paulholm@... <paulholm@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Remember she did the Ponn-Far in STIII? That's a life long bonding. It was
          > expanded upon in many of the books especially when he was doing his crusade
          > work with the Romulans.
          >
          > Sent via smoke signal

        • Paul Holmes
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
            Another case of DWI with poetic license. The ST IV novelization had Saavik more involved with Spock’s reeducation but it was also cut as superfluous.

            Maybe that is why I don’t go to more than one movie a year and always go for the director/extended cuts.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
              I remember the Ponn-Far in ST:III. I thought she did it just to ease the rapidly aging Spock's pains. I don't remember it being mentioned as a life-long bonding. (In TOS episode "Amok Time" they mentioned Spock being "almost" married to T'Pring, but that didn't have anything to do with the Ponn-Far. Ponn-Far is something that happens whether a Vulcan is "married" or not. Sort of like a cat in heat.)

              As for the books, I rarely read any because the ones I did read seemed to go off on their own tangents, and not quite maintaining series continuity. So I definitely missed the expanded bits.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
                They were already married, just not consumated. Ponn far is more than physical, it's a mind meld at the emotional level, and there is no other ceremony required, once the thoughts are joined. Of course they never have discussed the physical aspects at all...

                Sent via smoke signal