Re: [probe_control] Re: Happy Birthday, Mike Stoll!

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 26, 2011
      Hey, Mike!

      It's going to be a fun weekend for me. First (if you've seen any of CNN earlier this week) Virginia had a 5.9 quake, so we had a little shaking earlier this week. (That did wonders for my vertigo!) And now we're bracing for Irene. We're in the "Extreme" zone for winds and damage, but our house is not in a flood zone unless Irene turns into a Cat 5. So we're tying things down now.

      My neighbor had a permanent whole-house generator and has let me plus a heavy-duty extension cord into his external outlet so I can keep the fridge going if we lose power. It also has enough power from that outlet that I can keep the cable power supply running, as well as the DVR so if we do go dark I can at least program the DVR (ahead of time) to record the new 'Who' episodes and watch them once the power comes back.

      So I have to run now. I've still got a few things to "dog down" because Irene is starting to throw some rain bands across us. I might make a similar post on the Forum if power holds - it's been blinking for the last hour or so.

      It's been a heck of a week here!

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
        Thanks Dino,

        Hope you and yours are safe out there my friend.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
          Thanks, Mike,

          All is well here. For the most part Irene was a non-event where we were
          (even though we're only 8 miles from the coast - go figure). Power was a bit
          unstable but never really went out for more than 30 seconds, and that only
          happened three times. However she did lower the barometer enough to play
          havoc with my vertigo, not to mention the lower back problem.

          I hope all of our other members who were in Irene's path had just as good
          of luck as we did here.

          Dino.

          In a message dated 8/28/2011 12:27:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          kc8nqa@... writes:

          Thanks Dino,

          Hope you and yours are safe out there my friend.

          Mike

        • kc8nqa
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
            Dino,

            I'm glad you and yours are ok.

            I also hope that others in the path are OK.

            Thanks for checkin in my friend to let me/us know you guys are alright.

            Peace an Blessings,