Re: [probe_control] Another Step Forward To A Release Of Search

  • Martin Parrott
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
      It is the end of days! I thought this would never happen.

      Martin from Texas

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
        I always figured I would see a release of Meeting Of Minds before I saw
        this.

        Of course it hasn't happened yet.

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
          Hello everyone Out of curiosity, John, what is the current size of our group??Size isn't so much important as influential. We're in the right age group to be influential. Has anyone checked UTube's hits for PROBE./Search material and see if it reflects an increased interest?? Geoff

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
          From: parrottm@...
          Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 16:17:30 -0500
          Subject: Re: [probe_control] Another Step Forward To A Release Of Search

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
            430 members.

            On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>wrote:

            > Hello everyone Out of curiosity, John, what is the current size of our
            > group??Size isn't so much important as influential. We're in the right age
            > group to be influential. Has anyone checked UTube's hits for PROBE./Search
            > material and see if it reflects an increased interest?? Geoff

          • Marta Dawes
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
              It certainly looks like all our hard work paid off! Fantastic news...and
              with the hint of an HD mastering my husband was jumping around the room.

              Marta

              http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!

              All we are saying...
              is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon

              May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
              McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                Actually...that HD mention puzzles me. I do not believe that they are going
                to drag out the original negatives...that is the only way I can see an HD
                mastering.

                My guess is if they have the 35mm prints returned by NBC after the original
                run...but I am just guessing here.

                Although...some of their releases do mention "remastering," so I am not sure
                what they have in mind.

                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                  All I want are good quality, wacthable prints and I'll be happy.

                  John

                  Actually...that HD mention puzzles me. I do not believe that they are going
                  to drag out the original negatives...that is the only way I can see an HD
                  mastering.

                  My guess is if they have the 35mm prints returned by NBC after the original
                  run...but I am just guessing here.

                  Although...some of their releases do mention "remastering," so I am not sure
                  what they have in mind.

                  On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Marta Dawes <marta@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > It certainly looks like all our hard work paid off! Fantastic news...and
                  > with the hint of an HD mastering my husband was jumping around the room.
                  >
                  > Marta
                  >
                  > http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
                  >
                  > All we are saying...
                  > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
                  >
                  > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
                  > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

                • Robert McNay
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                    The original news item said that they weren't remastering them because they
                    had never been mastered before. To me that says they are pulling the films
                    off the shelf and putting them digital media.

                    It seems WB does put out the effort on WAC stuff if they think the demand
                    makes it worth their time. I read another wall post about what they're doing
                    for the last 7 Charlie Chan movies. All the sets that were released by 2
                    different studios over the last few years, apparently sold so well that WB
                    is actually doing a full photochemical restoration on the last 7 surviving
                    Monogram Chan pictures for WAC release.

                    That's not easy or cheap to do, by any stretch of the imagination. I think I
                    read a 90 minute movie can cost about $50,000 to $100,000 and take several
                    months of work. Comparatively speaking, transferring 22 1 hour TV episodes
                    from film to digital format is a walk in a park for pocket change.

                    Rob McNay
                    Chicago IL

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                      23 Episodes.

                    • dmanmetz@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                        WOW!! This is fantastic!! I thought this day would NEVER come. I know I should just be happy that WB is under strong consideration to release the series, but am I getting greeting by thinking that we should start a petition for WB to include the bumpers and preview of next week's episodes? Or at lease we could ask them. I figure this is a one shot deal, unless some movie star or producer catches wind of Search and wants to remake it as a big budget picture. Highly unlikley, but you can't blame a guy for dreaming. lol Thoughts anyone?

                        Chris

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                          Doesn't hurt to mention it on their Facebook page. You can say, since they
                          may have to go in and do everything from scratche, please leave in the
                          station break bumpers and the next week's show teaser. And to please,
                          please make sure the opening teasers which lead directly into the opening
                          theme are complete.

                          For me that might be the ultimate of the ultimate...that the Opening stinger
                          with the transition optical leading into the teaser is complete on every
                          episode. They are missing on almost every episode we have come across, be
                          it from Australia or the Armed Forces Network or whatever.

                        • dmanmetz@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                            Great Idea John!!

                            Doesn't hurt to mention it on their Facebook page. You can say, since they
                            ay have to go in and do everything from scratche, please leave in the
                            tation break bumpers and the next week's show teaser. And to please,
                            lease make sure the opening teasers which lead directly into the opening
                            heme are complete.
                            For me that might be the ultimate of the ultimate...that the Opening stinger
                            ith the transition optical leading into the teaser is complete on every
                            pisode. They are missing on almost every episode we have come across, be
                            t from Australia or the Armed Forces Network or whatever.
                            On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM, <dmanmetz@...> wrote:
                            > **

                            WOW!! This is fantastic!! I thought this day would NEVER come. I know I
                            should just be happy that WB is under strong consideration to release the
                            series, but am I getting greeting by thinking that we should start a
                            petition for WB to include the bumpers and preview of next week's episodes?
                            Or at lease we could ask them. I figure this is a one shot deal, unless some
                            movie star or producer catches wind of Search and wants to remake it as a
                            big budget picture. Highly unlikley, but you can't blame a guy for dreaming.
                            lol Thoughts anyone?

                            Chris

                            > The original news item said that they weren't remastering them because
                            they
                            > had never been mastered before. To me that says they are pulling the
                            films
                            > off the shelf and putting them digital media.
                            >
                            > It seems WB does put out the effort on WAC stuff if they think the demand
                            > makes it worth their time. I read another wall post about what they're
                            > doing
                            > for the last 7 Charlie Chan movies. All the sets that were released by 2
                            > different studios over the last few years, apparently sold so well that
                            WB
                            > is actually doing a full photochemical restoration on the last 7
                            surviving
                            > Monogram Chan pictures for WAC release.
                            >
                            > That's not easy or cheap to do, by any stretch of the imagination. I
                            think
                            > read a 90 minute movie can cost about $50,000 to $100,000 and take
                            several
                            > months of work. Comparatively speaking, transferring 22 1 hour TV
                            episodes
                            > from film to digital format is a walk in a park for pocket change.
                            >
                            > Rob McNay
                            > Chicago IL

                          • British 2010 Promo
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                              See, Being on Facebook Helps IE contact Warner Archieves, now we have SEARCH which I cant wait to buy
                              Probe Movie & Search Boxed Set.
                              Awesome.

                            • Carol Jackson
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                                Good quality would be great! back when I got the Armed forces networks
                                ones-hell I was extatic to have ANYTHING!!

                                <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('marta@...')>
                                > wrote:

                                > **
                                >
                                > It certainly looks like all our hard work paid off! Fantastic
                                > news...and with the hint of an HD mastering my husband was jumping
                                > around the room.
                                > Marta
                                > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
                                > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
                                > All we are saying... is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
                                > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big
                                > Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

                                <http://www.steveandmarta.com>
                                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                              • Carol Jackson
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                                  I work in TV. Idiots in programing have me run old stuff thru converters
                                  all the time to make it full screen for HD. Whatever. Been in love with
                                  SEARCH all these years and just WANT IT!!!

                                  On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM, paulholm@... wrote:

                                  The only other relevant number is what were their expectations. If
                                  they wanted to sell 100 I'd be ecstatic as well with 430 plus the casual
                                  non members out there.

                                  HD may mean picture quality and not so much aspect ratio. I doubt they
                                  were filming a tv series in Cinemascope, or similar, in the 70's but
                                  pixel regeneration is a definite possibility, as it is pretty much hands
                                  off, computer conversion only.

                                  Paul

                                  Sent via smoke signal

                                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('gfwillmetts@...')>
                                  >wrote:

                                  > Hello everyone Out of curiosity, John, what is the current size of our

                                  > group??Size isn't so much important as influential. We're in the right
                                  > age

                                  > group to be influential. Has anyone checked UTube's hits for
                                  > PROBE./Search

                                  > material and see if it reflects an increased interest?? Geoff

                                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('gfwillmetts@...')>
                                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                                • progrocktv
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 5, 2011
                                    > From the Archive's Facebook Page:
                                    [snip]

                                    My understanding is we have a strong SEARCH ally in the WB Archive department (hello if you're lurking;-)

                                    In terms of re-mastering, I think their meaning is since it was never done in the first place so there's no "re", so this would be first-time mastering for video, probably from the best elements available and in HD right off the bat. Some of my Starz research hinted to the POSSIBILITY of negatives still existing (one theory is they didn't hold any actual film prints but instead the negatives) Nice thing is they can digitize the negs directly in an HD format, turn them into "virtual prints" by reversing the image in the computer and print directly to digital media. I'm guessing a Blu-Ray release is a STRONG possibility!

                                    Cheers!
                                    Phil
                                  • Carol Jackson
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 6, 2011
                                      Hell yes Paul! I think I liked SEARCH for maybe the 1st 15 minutes of
                                      the 1st episode. After that is became a PASSION!! I clearly remember
                                      running out of my bedroom to the family room & telling my parents about
                                      this great show, & running back before the break was over! Indeed, as
                                      Hugh autographed a picture of NY antique car with the SEARCH license
                                      plates. "the SEARCH is never over!" Of course, I Still have the 1969
                                      Comet, and just renewed the license plates for another 2 years. Had the
                                      car 34 years, and the plates since 1979.

                                      On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Paul Holmes wrote:

                                      Which was a damn shame as other than it being a Japanese character
                                      (and Lorre not being Japanese!), there was little reference back to the
                                      specifics of that conflict, other than the spy intrigue. The shame
                                      comes in that it was a great character at a bad time, and could have
                                      gone on. One other problem is in the current day and age, nobody will
                                      ever do the same kind of serial production as we had with Chan, Moto,
                                      Wong stories. It’s less about the stories and more about the action,
                                      and all at the minimum price of hundreds of millions for an hour or two
                                      of entertainment.

                                      On Carol Jackson’s remarks, I’m also amazed at the wide diversity of
                                      members here, both TV industry types, authors, etc. (me being a software
                                      engineer), all touched by that one program 40 years ago and still
                                      interested. That requires a demographic of 50 or older in age. You can
                                      only wonder how many had that passion for a while and gave up or are no
                                      longer with us. In other words, it’s still obvious the network screwed
                                      up when they pulled the series...

                                      Paul

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 7, 2011
                                        Only if they have good 35 MM negatives. If it’s 640 X 480 scratched film, I’d rather save my money. Of course if there is a miracle and they find outtakes, cuts and meaningful extras , and it takes the higher capacity and indexing features of the BD format, bring it on.

                                        Paul

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 7, 2011
                                          I believe the Armed Forces Network used 16mm copies which were pretty scratched up, but I highly doubt they would be using those since they would require a film-to-digital transfer, so they might as well go to the best source possible if they're even considering HD. This is also assuming the 16mm prints still exist since they're unlikely to keep them for space reasons since they have better prints on hand.

                                          I have a feeling those might be looking more toward PROBE quality than AFN;-)

                                          Phil