Re: [probe_control] Diamonds as stepping stones

  • martin allen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
         Hi Geoff and all:
             Nice to know the PROBE disc is out and looks good. I'll order it in a few days--no sense stalking the mailbox any more than I already am.
             One thing I gotta know--is that FULL version of the intro scene of Dr. Laurent in there?
          There's a short line or two of extra dialogue (from the audio of the network run), not in either cut of the pilot we've had from syndication, right before Lockwood finally gets on the phone. You guys notice the diamond bumpers, I catch stuff like this...
             As to how diamonds are used to gain power, I had to ruminate over this a while myself, as I'm not ever likely to be in such a position--and then it hit me:
              Diamonds are nothing more than a superior sort of trinket--the only value they have is in what people put into them. They are used either as a reward or a bribe, all sentimentality aside. And it is bribery that gives them their ultimate hold over people--with the right rock in the wrong hands, you gain access to the people who you REALLY want to talk to...
              If they had been real, Hitler could have cared less about the Entourage Collection. If he wanted the stones that badly, he'd have had one of his thugs fetch them. He wouldn't have kept them for himself--oh, he'd have probably given Eva the Austrian Yellow and maybe shut up Benito with one of the lesser stones--like the pink one, but he would have used the others for influence peddling.
               As the damn things fell into the hands of lesser Nazis at the end of the war, you can bet that they were used, and used often, to bribe or seduce whoever was necessary to exploit for the funds and equipment to keep the Fourth Reich a going concern.
              I wouldn't be surprised if Frau Ullman and Herr Streeter pulled one sort of 'pigeon-drop' after another over the years, financing not only their Nazi buddies, but a nice lifestyle on the sides for themselves. (I bet we find out 'Whitey' Bulger knocked off a few more people during his so-called 'retirement'--$800,000 cash when they busted him? He sure didn't win that playing pinnocle)...
              In short, you can bet that the courier, last known holder of the collection as the story opens, wasn't the first to die by violence where any of these rocks were concerned--and I'm betting he was far from the last.
          Martin

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hello Martin

        Yeah! The full Dr. Laurent scene is there.
        You�ll have to forgive me for going into analytical mode but has anyone ever
        wonder on Cameron�s comments that the TV scanner used to be larger. I wonder
        what the earlier size was?? It couldn�t have been too large or it would have
        been too obvious.

        By the by, I haven�t checked back to the
        original script but does Lockwood call Gloria �Angel� in their last scene
        together as a mistake or an endearment??

        Re: Entourage Collection. Considering that
        they were supposed to be missing for
        some 30 years, what was Streeter using as financial credentials in the diamond
        business??

        If Streeter was using other gems for a
        similar purpose, just how do you do?? Do you loan them out?? Security??

        The Nazis held on to a lot of treasures
        with various of them keeping various things back for themselves.

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

        From: Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>

        To: "chat search" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
          I just double checked...the name or term "Angel" is not in the script. So
          it is anyone's guess if he slipped, or was making an inside joke by calling
          Gloria by a pet name which just happened to be the actress' name.

          On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>wrote:

          > Hello Martin
          >

          > Yeah! The full Dr. Laurent scene is there.
          > You�ll have to forgive me for going into analytical mode but has anyone
          > ever
          > wonder on Cameron�s comments that the TV scanner used to be larger. I
          > wonder
          > what the earlier size was?? It couldn�t have been too large or it would
          > have
          > been too obvious.
          >

          > By the by, I haven�t checked back to the
          > original script but does Lockwood call Gloria �Angel� in their last scene
          > together as a mistake or an endearment??
          >

          > Re: Entourage Collection. Considering that
          > they were supposed to be missing for
          > some 30 years, what was Streeter using as financial credentials in the
          > diamond
          > business??
          >
          > If Streeter was using other gems for a
          > similar purpose, just how do you do?? Do you loan them out?? Security??
          >

          > The Nazis held on to a lot of treasures
          > with various of them keeping various things back for themselves.

        • Rick Cortez
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
            i'll order mine too, next pay period!

            Rick

            >        Nice to know the PROBE disc is out and looks good. I'll order it in a
            >few days--no sense stalking the mailbox any more than I already am.
            >        One thing I gotta know--is that FULL version of the intro scene of Dr.
            >Laurent in there?
            >     There's a short line or two of extra dialogue (from the audio of the
            >network run), not in either cut of the pilot we've had from syndication, right
            >before Lockwood finally gets on the phone. You guys notice the diamond bumpers,
            >I catch stuff like this...
            >        As to how diamonds are used to gain power, I had to ruminate over this a
            >while myself, as I'm not ever likely to be in such a position--and then it hit
            >me:
            >         Diamonds are nothing more than a superior sort of trinket--the only
            >value they have is in what people put into them. They are used either as a
            >reward or a bribe, all sentimentality aside. And it is bribery that gives them
            >their ultimate hold over people--with the right rock in the wrong hands, you
            >gain access to the people who you REALLY want to talk to...
            >
            >         If they had been real, Hitler could have cared less about the Entourage
            >Collection. If he wanted the stones that badly, he'd have had one of his thugs
            >fetch them. He wouldn't have kept them for himself--oh, he'd have probably given
            >Eva the Austrian Yellow and maybe shut up Benito with one of the lesser
            >stones--like the pink one, but he would have used the others for influence
            >peddling.
            >          As the damn things fell into the hands of lesser Nazis at the end of
            >the war, you can bet that they were used, and used often, to bribe or seduce
            >whoever was necessary to exploit for the funds and equipment to keep the Fourth
            >Reich a going concern.
            >         I wouldn't be surprised if Frau Ullman and Herr Streeter pulled one
            >sort of 'pigeon-drop' after another over the years, financing not only their
            >Nazi buddies, but a nice lifestyle on the sides for themselves. (I bet we find
            >out 'Whitey' Bulger knocked off a few more people during his so-called
            >'retirement'--$800,000 cash when they busted him? He sure didn't win that
            >playing pinnocle)...
            >         In short, you can bet that the courier, last known holder of the
            >collection as the story opens, wasn't the first to die by violence where any of
            >these rocks were concerned--and I'm betting he was far from the last.
            >
            >     Martin

          • martin allen
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
                  Hi guys--
                   Good news on the Laurent clip--I figured it would likely be there, if all the diamond bumpers were. This proves it is the intact original print, as odds were in favor of--I doubt if the line would have been cut at all if it hadn't been for absolutely necessary 'commercial' reasons--pun intended. Too much work, otherwise...unless it means room for another spot of soap flakes...
                   As to influence peddling with diamonds--again I can only speculate as I hardly expect to ever be on either side of the issue personally--but I'm sure Streeter was able to play a massive double-game for years with both legitimate and 'hot' rocks...after all, the kind of people you want to soak (or buy) with promises of forbidden gems are the last sort of people who are going to run to the cops (or anyone else) when they realize they've been had. A hit-man maybe, but then guys like Streeter can always buy a bigger thug...
                  In the end, that may have been what tripped old 'Harold' up in the end--he and the frau had played this game so often--they got greedy--and lazy--thinking these 'new guys' at World Securities would be the perfect cover for one last great scam...
                  One can only imagine the secrets (and skeletons) waiting in the family closet for poor old Ulle--or whatever she called herself after going into the Witness Protection Program...

              martin

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
                Perhaps the previous version of the scanner was about the size of the average wrist watch of the time? Say still about "one-third of an inch thick" as described in the PROBE script, but just larger in diameter. Back in the early 1970s wrist watches could be anywhere from about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter (going by the average men's watches; women's watches were smaller).

                Cameron said the scanner was made smaller, but he didn't specify how much smaller. Mike, one of our esteemed members, has been making some fabulous, exacting replica scanners for a while. If he would be willing to provide the diameter of his replica, maybe we could guess at how much larger the previous version may have been, again using a wrist watch as a reference.