Re: [probe_control] Bridge and PROBE

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2011
      Geoff,

      "The wound! The wound!" (Reference to Monty Python's "Dirty Fork" sketch - my feeble attempt at humor in a come-back to your comment at you being civilized over there - spawned by my asking if you'd ever seen Keaton's "The General"... no slight intended.)

      Quiet authority: I definitely have a perception filter running somewhere. I'm hardly ever noticed, even in a mostly empty room - can be good sometimes, bad at others.

      LIS and the Early Dr. Smith: I agree; introduce him to the airlock. The only problems with that are the Robinsons weren't the killing kind, even though Smith was hired to have the Robot destroy the ship; it would have meant they were sinking to his level and they just weren't the kind to do that. Also, it would have meant for a lesser opportunity for story lines. That said, Major West wanted to kill Smith many times throughout the series, so I'd say if Smith hadn't softened up to the point of being a goofball, West would most likely have been the one to do him in.

      Matt Smith: He is a good actor. We first saw him with Billie Piper in the 'Sally Cartwright' mystery "Ruby in the Smoke". Watching him now as The Doctor is like watching Hugh Laurie as House, and then watching him in either 'Jeeves and Wooster' or a 'Blackadder' episode. Stark contrast in characters, but it shows you just how good a real actor can be. (I'm still looking for that 'Secret Diary' episode with Matt Smith appearing again with Billie Piper - looks like it may be Netfilx time again!)

      I'm going to have to look up more Hartnell movies. I'd love to see him in his other roles. I recently saw Patrick Troughton playing an Italian secretly working for Harry Lime (Michael Rennie) in one of 'The Third Man' episodes. He had such a great accent he didn't even sound like himself. I've seen Troughton in other roles and he amazes me each time because he's such a great character actor. I'd love to see more of Hartnell to see what his other roles were like and how he played them.

      American actors of earlier years (such as James Coburn) had a different attitude than our modern actors. The director knew what he wanted, and the actors did their best to oblige. Today, if the director wants "this", there is always some sort of discussion from the actor of why not "that" instead. One exception I heard about was Robert Mitchum. He was starring in a movie with Marilyn Monroe (a western whose title escapes me at the moment, but I did see that movie and it was rather good) and when it came time for Mitchum to finally kiss Monroe, after looking at her for a few moments and the director impatiently telling Mitchum to get on with the kiss, Mitchum turned to the director, pointed to Monroe's lips (she was known for her unusual lip motions) and shouted "How do you expect me to kiss her with them undulating like that?!" That's why I feel a real pain when we lose another great actor, and this year we lost Peter Graves and James Arness (for those who don't know they were brothers), as well as Leslie Neilson. Both Neilson and Graves could do serious roles as well as comedic.

      The Enterprise: True, a space-faring organization like Starfleet, one would thing, would be an Air Force thing. However, NASA is comprised of personnel from all of our five services (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard - in fact one of my fellow Coasties, a Commander, had appeared in an 'Trek' TOS, "The Squire of Gothos" I think, and was the leader of the landing party; he was the one who used the large egg-shaped thing with the glowing antenna to try signalling the Enterprise once they beamed down; he even recreated that pose, using a hand-held radio, for an article in one of our Coast Guard Magazine articles on the 30th anniversary of that episode's airing). So Starfleet could easily be a conglomerate like NASA is, only they created a separate service. The US did the same thing in 1947; our Air Corps were made up of Navy, Army, and Marine pilots, and there were enough that in 1947 Congress created a separate service for just the pilots and they called it the Air Force. However the fact that Starfleet uses the nautical ranks rather than the Air Force ranks could be because of the ships. Since they comprise a fleet, the nautical ranking system could have been a carryover, as could have been other nautical terms associated with ships: deck, bulkhead, overhead, helm, etc.

      As to the shouting: during normal ops (standard steaming, nothing special going on) the only people on the bridge, at least on the ships I was on, are the helmsman, lookout, QMOW (Quartermaster Of the Watch), and the Officer of the Deck (OOD) and Conning Officer (Conn). On our ships the Conn and OOD are the same person unless there is a special event going on. So there are very few people on the bridge, yet they still shout the orders. In contrast, during Special Sea Detail when we were entering or leaving port, or if we were running a drill (or had an actual emergency - which did happen a few times) there would be a separate OOD and Conn, the Captain and Exec (CO and XO) as well as the Operations Officer (Ops Boss), Assistant Navigator (A-Nav) would be on the bridge, along with extra QMs and Lookouts, several people to man the sound powered phones so the bridge was in constant contact with other parts of the ship such as the Engine Room, After Steering, Fo'c'sle, Damage Control (DC) Central, and Combat Information Center (CIC), and any break-ins would also be up there so they could watch and learn. So instead of only four people on the bridge we could have as many as 20. Shouting was a necessity. I'm guessing if shouting was made standard policy then no one would forget to do it, and that way orders could be heard regardless if there were four of forty people on the bridge.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
           Hi Geoff and all:
               Nice to know the PROBE disc is out and looks good. I'll order it in a few days--no sense stalking the mailbox any more than I already am.
               One thing I gotta know--is that FULL version of the intro scene of Dr. Laurent in there?
            There's a short line or two of extra dialogue (from the audio of the network run), not in either cut of the pilot we've had from syndication, right before Lockwood finally gets on the phone. You guys notice the diamond bumpers, I catch stuff like this...
               As to how diamonds are used to gain power, I had to ruminate over this a while myself, as I'm not ever likely to be in such a position--and then it hit me:
                Diamonds are nothing more than a superior sort of trinket--the only value they have is in what people put into them. They are used either as a reward or a bribe, all sentimentality aside. And it is bribery that gives them their ultimate hold over people--with the right rock in the wrong hands, you gain access to the people who you REALLY want to talk to...
                If they had been real, Hitler could have cared less about the Entourage Collection. If he wanted the stones that badly, he'd have had one of his thugs fetch them. He wouldn't have kept them for himself--oh, he'd have probably given Eva the Austrian Yellow and maybe shut up Benito with one of the lesser stones--like the pink one, but he would have used the others for influence peddling.
                 As the damn things fell into the hands of lesser Nazis at the end of the war, you can bet that they were used, and used often, to bribe or seduce whoever was necessary to exploit for the funds and equipment to keep the Fourth Reich a going concern.
                I wouldn't be surprised if Frau Ullman and Herr Streeter pulled one sort of 'pigeon-drop' after another over the years, financing not only their Nazi buddies, but a nice lifestyle on the sides for themselves. (I bet we find out 'Whitey' Bulger knocked off a few more people during his so-called 'retirement'--$800,000 cash when they busted him? He sure didn't win that playing pinnocle)...
                In short, you can bet that the courier, last known holder of the collection as the story opens, wasn't the first to die by violence where any of these rocks were concerned--and I'm betting he was far from the last.
            Martin

[...]

          From my perspective, I wouldn’t
        even have a bridge if you have decent communication devices, because the
        computer links would provide all of that but I guess you need a place where the
        command staff can be seen to be doing their jobs, the equivalent of a bar or
        surgery in standard soaps. All the Starfleet vessels have been vastly
        over-manned.

                    As to voice loudness. I
        thought on ship bridges, shouting also ensured that other officers knew what
        was going on as well??

                    Don’t you find it odd
        that a Starfleet is run as a navy when it really should have been given control
        as an air force??

        Now to everyone

                    Watched PROBE last
        night. Wrote my review this morning.

                    Odd things. I’m hoping
        it was only my television but did the stereo theme music sound a little wobbly
        or was I too far off centre to the screen??

                    We definitely didn’t
        have both jewel switches on scene changes over here.

                    I thought Alfie Ryder
        had a mostly non-speaking part here and only with he was in the restaurant
        realised he had more lines there.

                    Can someone explain to
        me how jewels can be used for stepping stones to power without actually selling
        them off??

                    Can I hazard a guess
        that it was Frida Ullman who delivered the Austrian Yellow to Streeter in the
        States??

                    There’s always extra
        things you can catch on repeat viewing.

        WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
          Hello Martin

          Yeah! The full Dr. Laurent scene is there.
          You�ll have to forgive me for going into analytical mode but has anyone ever
          wonder on Cameron�s comments that the TV scanner used to be larger. I wonder
          what the earlier size was?? It couldn�t have been too large or it would have
          been too obvious.

          By the by, I haven�t checked back to the
          original script but does Lockwood call Gloria �Angel� in their last scene
          together as a mistake or an endearment??

          Re: Entourage Collection. Considering that
          they were supposed to be missing for
          some 30 years, what was Streeter using as financial credentials in the diamond
          business??

          If Streeter was using other gems for a
          similar purpose, just how do you do?? Do you loan them out?? Security??

          The Nazis held on to a lot of treasures
          with various of them keeping various things back for themselves.

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

          From: Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>

          To: "chat search" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
            I just double checked...the name or term "Angel" is not in the script. So
            it is anyone's guess if he slipped, or was making an inside joke by calling
            Gloria by a pet name which just happened to be the actress' name.

            On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>wrote:

            > Hello Martin
            >

            > Yeah! The full Dr. Laurent scene is there.
            > You�ll have to forgive me for going into analytical mode but has anyone
            > ever
            > wonder on Cameron�s comments that the TV scanner used to be larger. I
            > wonder
            > what the earlier size was?? It couldn�t have been too large or it would
            > have
            > been too obvious.
            >

            > By the by, I haven�t checked back to the
            > original script but does Lockwood call Gloria �Angel� in their last scene
            > together as a mistake or an endearment??
            >

            > Re: Entourage Collection. Considering that
            > they were supposed to be missing for
            > some 30 years, what was Streeter using as financial credentials in the
            > diamond
            > business??
            >
            > If Streeter was using other gems for a
            > similar purpose, just how do you do?? Do you loan them out?? Security??
            >

            > The Nazis held on to a lot of treasures
            > with various of them keeping various things back for themselves.

          • Rick Cortez
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
              i'll order mine too, next pay period!

              Rick

              >        Nice to know the PROBE disc is out and looks good. I'll order it in a
              >few days--no sense stalking the mailbox any more than I already am.
              >        One thing I gotta know--is that FULL version of the intro scene of Dr.
              >Laurent in there?
              >     There's a short line or two of extra dialogue (from the audio of the
              >network run), not in either cut of the pilot we've had from syndication, right
              >before Lockwood finally gets on the phone. You guys notice the diamond bumpers,
              >I catch stuff like this...
              >        As to how diamonds are used to gain power, I had to ruminate over this a
              >while myself, as I'm not ever likely to be in such a position--and then it hit
              >me:
              >         Diamonds are nothing more than a superior sort of trinket--the only
              >value they have is in what people put into them. They are used either as a
              >reward or a bribe, all sentimentality aside. And it is bribery that gives them
              >their ultimate hold over people--with the right rock in the wrong hands, you
              >gain access to the people who you REALLY want to talk to...
              >
              >         If they had been real, Hitler could have cared less about the Entourage
              >Collection. If he wanted the stones that badly, he'd have had one of his thugs
              >fetch them. He wouldn't have kept them for himself--oh, he'd have probably given
              >Eva the Austrian Yellow and maybe shut up Benito with one of the lesser
              >stones--like the pink one, but he would have used the others for influence
              >peddling.
              >          As the damn things fell into the hands of lesser Nazis at the end of
              >the war, you can bet that they were used, and used often, to bribe or seduce
              >whoever was necessary to exploit for the funds and equipment to keep the Fourth
              >Reich a going concern.
              >         I wouldn't be surprised if Frau Ullman and Herr Streeter pulled one
              >sort of 'pigeon-drop' after another over the years, financing not only their
              >Nazi buddies, but a nice lifestyle on the sides for themselves. (I bet we find
              >out 'Whitey' Bulger knocked off a few more people during his so-called
              >'retirement'--$800,000 cash when they busted him? He sure didn't win that
              >playing pinnocle)...
              >         In short, you can bet that the courier, last known holder of the
              >collection as the story opens, wasn't the first to die by violence where any of
              >these rocks were concerned--and I'm betting he was far from the last.
              >
              >     Martin

            • martin allen
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
                    Hi guys--
                     Good news on the Laurent clip--I figured it would likely be there, if all the diamond bumpers were. This proves it is the intact original print, as odds were in favor of--I doubt if the line would have been cut at all if it hadn't been for absolutely necessary 'commercial' reasons--pun intended. Too much work, otherwise...unless it means room for another spot of soap flakes...
                     As to influence peddling with diamonds--again I can only speculate as I hardly expect to ever be on either side of the issue personally--but I'm sure Streeter was able to play a massive double-game for years with both legitimate and 'hot' rocks...after all, the kind of people you want to soak (or buy) with promises of forbidden gems are the last sort of people who are going to run to the cops (or anyone else) when they realize they've been had. A hit-man maybe, but then guys like Streeter can always buy a bigger thug...
                    In the end, that may have been what tripped old 'Harold' up in the end--he and the frau had played this game so often--they got greedy--and lazy--thinking these 'new guys' at World Securities would be the perfect cover for one last great scam...
                    One can only imagine the secrets (and skeletons) waiting in the family closet for poor old Ulle--or whatever she called herself after going into the Witness Protection Program...

                martin

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
                  Perhaps the previous version of the scanner was about the size of the average wrist watch of the time? Say still about "one-third of an inch thick" as described in the PROBE script, but just larger in diameter. Back in the early 1970s wrist watches could be anywhere from about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter (going by the average men's watches; women's watches were smaller).

                  Cameron said the scanner was made smaller, but he didn't specify how much smaller. Mike, one of our esteemed members, has been making some fabulous, exacting replica scanners for a while. If he would be willing to provide the diameter of his replica, maybe we could guess at how much larger the previous version may have been, again using a wrist watch as a reference.