Marshall Dillon Has Passed

  • Robert McNay
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2011
      Its odd, James Arness' name came up in the discussions just a couple days ago. Now he's passed away. He was 88.

      I think I'll go home and watch "Them!" tonight.

      http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gunsmoke-legend-james-arness-dies-194732

      Rob McNay
      Chicago IL
    • Martin Parrott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2011
        Now, that is great idea. I have that DVD here somewhere...

        Martin from Texas

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2011
          This saddens me because I was the one who mentioned Mr. Arness (for his
          roll in the original "The Thing" movie). I loved "Gunsmoke" and have fond
          memories of watching it with my father. (That show ran for 20 years: 1955 to
          1975! I think the only other American prime time show that's done that - and
          now broken this record - is "The Simpsons" which is going into its 22nd
          year of uninterrupted first-run episodes. But that's an animated series. For a
          Live-action series, last year "Law and Order" toed "Gunsmoke" for its
          20-year run, but "Gunsmoke" totaled 635 episodes, whereas "Law" has only made
          456 episodes so far. Go "Gunsmoke"!)

          "Gunsmoke" was a great show and set the standard that almost every other TV
          western followed. James Arness was the quintessential Marshall Matt
          Dillon, and his portrayal of the character in the five telefilms that followed
          was true to his original portrayal in the series (even though in the
          telefilms he was retired from being a marshall and was now a rancher).

          James Arness will be very sadly missed in this house. (Not many people know
          this, but he was the late Peter Graves' [Mission: Impossible] brother, and
          if you close your eyes when you listen to James Arness speaking, you can
          hear Graves' voice, and vice-versa; they sound almost exactly alike.)

          Dino.