Re: [probe_control] Re: Scanner Ring

    Message 1 of 47 , Apr 14 10:43 AM
      I've been drooling over those scanners since... oh... 1972?

      I'd love a scanner with a lapel pin, but I've seen what Mike's magnificent
      works of art (and that's what they are) have been going for and there's no
      way I could afford one, especially now that I've had to retire (before the
      military booted me out) due to medical reasons. (Made it to 29 years
      though!)

      Anyway, whoever gets Mike's scanner will be one lucky dude (or dudette as
      the case may be).

      And Mike, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's passing. You have my
      deepest condolences. I know how that sudden loss can hit - like a kick in the
      stomach. We recently lost a friend: Taylor Anderson, that young woman who
      died in the Japan tsunami. She was a friend of both my kids.

      This is why I stick to my philosophy: Reality sucks, and I refuse to take
      part in it! (I'll just crawl into my TARDIS and stay there. It doesn't work
      so I'm stuck here, but it's a great place to hide.)

      Dino.

      In a message dated 4/14/2011 9:53:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      actingman6@... writes:

      Yes...the scanner I have came with a tie-clip/lapel pin, so it looks like
      the one Grover usually used.

      And on special, guarded, controlled conditions, I wore it.

      I just think a ring would be a lot more fun.

      Message 47 of 47 , Sep 20, 2011
        Hello Dino I've got a Starfury in the process of being wired for lights - principally for engines. The Babylon 5 station is supposed to be 5 miles long so whatever scale you use, its going to look small. You would think that with the software available today, that there would be more pictures made digitally of such vehicles. They are out there but don't look as good as the series usage, even when the originals were CGI. I guess there's no buttons to dirty down the graphics. Resin looks fragile to me. Geoff

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        From: LambuLambu@...
        Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:46:34 -0400
        Subject: Re: [probe_control] Re: Scanner Ring

        Geoff,

        They tried that with the Starfury from 'Babylon 5', and the station itself. I'm not sure how the Starfury comes out; I never bought that one. But the B5 station was rather small and left a lot to be desired. There are some people who have blogged on how to "build up" the station to give it more details and make it more accurate, but that kind of effort just isn't for me. So I'm with you; I'd really like to see a decent model kit (which can be bought at a reasonable price) of a CGI space ship that has a nice size to it (as I said, the B5 model was rather small) and some good detail.

        I kept waiting for the new Galactica to come out so I could have her sitting next to my original (bought back in the '70s): old and new side by side. But that never happened. All that ever came out were resin kits that were way too small, and too expensive.