Slides pics.

  • secretconcierge
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2011
      Noted that darn red hue tint in most shots few in natural color then vs Today
      Should be recanned by optics computer to "remove" waste & clear up images.
      & reduce that Red tint, hard on the eyes.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2011
        Hi: I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but the filmclip scans are being done with a Minolta Dimage F-2800. We scan each filmclip at 400 dpi, which is better than printer's quality (300 dpi). Specs can be found in Google searches. Some of these scanners show up on eBay now and again for around $140 or so.

        We've discussed the red tint at different times here and it is sad that Eastman film fades the way it does. However, simply reducing the red has so far offered mixed results.

        I've tried color corrections which look okay to me on my screen, but when I send them out, people say my corrections are way too green. And when others send me their color corrections, they appear way too green to me too, yet they look okay to the folks sending them out.

        Too time-consuming to do color corrections while scanning, especially seeing that different episodes seem to be fading at different rates. The earlier episode filmclips, such as Murrow, Moonrock, Gold Machine, and Iceman, are rather pinkish nowadays. Nearly all of the green has faded away. However, some of the later episodes, such as Flight, Prey, and Honeymoon, still seem to have fairly good color, at least compared to earlier episodes.

        I figured we would save time by scanning everything "as is." Then send out CDs of the scans to various folks with advanced equipment who would like to try their hand at color corrections. The hope is that someday someone will come up with a program or formula which can restore faded film scans which will work for everyone, but that may just be wishful thinking.

        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "secretconcierge" <stephenrusell@...> wrote:

        > Noted that darn red hue tint in most shots few in natural color then vs Today
        > Should be recanned by optics computer to "remove" waste & clear up images.
        > & reduce that Red tint, hard on the eyes.

      • kc8nqa
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2011
          I'm glad to see more pics posted. Excellent. Thank you Don H. for your time and your hard work scanning the clips. Very much appreciated. :-)