OT: Marta's site and The New Twilight Zone

  • actingman@iname.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2001
      I greatly enjoyed seeing Marta's New Twilight Zone site.
      http://members.nbci.com/newtwilzone

      I agree with her that the first season "Her Pilgrim Soul" was simply
      one of the best things ever written for television...period.

      I also made sure I taped "A Message From Charity" and "Profile In
      Silver". I missed the chance to tape "Palladin of the Lost Hour."

      Also, and Marta can help us out here...wasn't it the New Twilight
      Zone that first did the story about the person who discovers his
      whole life is actually a tv show? I remember being ticked off that I
      never read anything about it, and that credit was given, when the Jim
      Carrey movie was released.

      The New Twilight Zone got canceled during its second season. The
      owners of the show decided to produce a third season of first run
      syndication half hour episodes, in order to have enough segments for
      the series as a whole to be syndicated in half hour format. What I
      think is very interesting about this is the show was successful in
      first run syndication, and stations wanted another season, but the
      owners didn't want to spend the money to make more episodes. They
      weren't interested in having a hit show on the air...they just wanted
      enough episodes for a syndication package, so they ended it after
      that third season, chopped up the hour long episodes into half hour
      segments, and put the series into general rerun syndication. (The
      same thing happened with Sliders...it was a hit on Sci-Fi, but they
      ended it after the fifth season because the owners felt there were
      enough episodes made for future reruns.)

      I also agree with Marta that the third season was not very good. I
      remember at the time thinking the reason, among other things was that
      with the amount of commercial time required in syndicated shows,
      there just wasn't enough time for story content. As I think about it
      now, that is probably wrong. They just didn't have very good
      stories. I've read that it is much harder to write good short-form
      fiction then it is long-form fiction.

      One exception was an episode (I can't remember the title) written by
      Harlen Ellison, about, if I remember correctly, a fast talking
      devil. It was good, and I remember thinking that Ellison came back
      to the show (after walking off in a dispute with CBS in the second
      season) to show us how it is supposed to be done.

      And to bring this whole thing slightly back to list topic: who
      played the charismatic fast-talking devil? Tony Franciosa!
    • Marta Dawes
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2001
        Thank you, thank you (I'm blushing). It's taking quite a while to get
        the scans done and up on the site, but I enjoy taking the time going
        through the episodes, since I love the series so much. The 3rd season
        was so awful because the original team had all left and they brought in
        new people with no imagination to write the stories, and no connection
        to the original vision. If anyone on here is a fan of Babylon 5 I'll
        apologize first, then say the J. Michael Stracynski was the guy who did
        the awful 3rd season stories.

        Alan Brennert, the head story consultant on the 1st and 2nd seasons of
        NTZ, stumbled across the website and has also said some very nice things
        about it; he has been a big help with trivia and answering questions,
        and is also a very nice person, since he takes the time to answer my
        email! His short story was adapted for "Her Pilgrim Soul;" he wrote the
        story as a tribute to a friend who died of cancer. The short story is
        almost verbatim captured on the screen, which is unusual, but accounts I
        think for the magical quality of the episode, and the fact that Alan got
        to supervise the making of the show.

        The "TV show about a persons life" question is something that might be
        up for debate, I think. In the terrible 3rd season, broadcast during
        the latter half of 1988, there was an episode called "Special Service".
        The synopsis reads "A man's private life is upset when he discovers that
        people have been secretly watching him."
        Now, to the crux: "Amazing Stories" broadcast on 4/6/86 an episode
        called "Secret Cinema," about a woman who finds out her life has been
        secretly filmed, and parts of it become a movie. These two episodes are
        so very much alike that I wonder why they gave credit to the later show
        and not the earlier story.

        The episode Tony F. was in is "Crazy as a Soup Sandwich."

        And, there is also a "Probe" connection to this email, so it's not off
        topic. ;-) Alan told me that for the NTZ episode "Palladin of the Lost
        Hour," they had tried very hard to get Burgess Meredith for the part
        that Danny Kaye ended up doing. Unfortunately, Meredith was sick at the
        time and couldn't do the show.

        Marta

        actingman@... wrote:

        > I greatly enjoyed seeing Marta's New Twilight Zone site.
        > http://members.nbci.com/newtwilzone
        >
        > I agree with her that the first season "Her Pilgrim Soul" was simply
        > one of the best things ever written for television...period.
        >
        > I also made sure I taped "A Message From Charity" and "Profile In
        > Silver". I missed the chance to tape "Palladin of the Lost Hour."
        >
        > Also, and Marta can help us out here...wasn't it the New Twilight
        > Zone that first did the story about the person who discovers his
        > whole life is actually a tv show? I remember being ticked off that I
        > never read anything about it, and that credit was given, when the Jim
        > Carrey movie was released.
        >
        > The New Twilight Zone got canceled during its second season. The
        > owners of the show decided to produce a third season of first run
        > syndication half hour episodes, in order to have enough segments for
        > the series as a whole to be syndicated in half hour format. What I
        > think is very interesting about this is the show was successful in
        > first run syndication, and stations wanted another season, but the
        > owners didn't want to spend the money to make more episodes. They
        > weren't interested in having a hit show on the air...they just wanted
        > enough episodes for a syndication package, so they ended it after
        > that third season, chopped up the hour long episodes into half hour
        > segments, and put the series into general rerun syndication. (The
        > same thing happened with Sliders...it was a hit on Sci-Fi, but they
        > ended it after the fifth season because the owners felt there were
        > enough episodes made for future reruns.)
        >
        > I also agree with Marta that the third season was not very good. I
        > remember at the time thinking the reason, among other things was that
        > with the amount of commercial time required in syndicated shows,
        > there just wasn't enough time for story content. As I think about it
        > now, that is probably wrong. They just didn't have very good
        > stories. I've read that it is much harder to write good short-form
        > fiction then it is long-form fiction.
        >
        > One exception was an episode (I can't remember the title) written by
        > Harlen Ellison, about, if I remember correctly, a fast talking
        > devil. It was good, and I remember thinking that Ellison came back
        > to the show (after walking off in a dispute with CBS in the second
        > season) to show us how it is supposed to be done.
        >
        > And to bring this whole thing slightly back to list topic: who
        > played the charismatic fast-talking devil? Tony Franciosa!

        Marta

        "The Graveyards of Omaha"
        http://members.nbci.com/martadawes

        "The New Twilight Zone"
        http://members.nbci.com/newtwilzone

        Help save the Indian Hills Theatre in Omaha!
        The Last Round Super-Cinerama Theatre left in the World!
        Call Stephen Long, CEO at Methodist Hospital, 402-354-4000
        and let him know you'd like this theatre to be saved.
        Join the Cinerama and Widescreen Movie Discussion Group
        http://www.egroups.com/group/cinerama_widescreen_movies

        Lord Byron, Mary Shelley and Percy Bysshe Shelley Discussion Group
        http://www.egroups.com/group/mary_percy_shelley