Re: [probe_control] More on Name of the Game

  • Bob Greenberger
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2001
      Like the others, I knew Name of the Game through WCBS's Sunday night broadcasts throughout the '70s.  It was one of the first signature shows for Universal TV, setting the template for the Sunday Night Mystery Movie, Wednesday Mystery Movie, etc.  Originally, it ran Friday nights at 8:30 which was an odd time slot for a 90 minute drama but that was then.

      There were two threads holding the series together, one being Howard Publishing modeled loosely on Time, Inc. with gene Barry as Glenn Howard, the founder and publisher.  Robert Stack was the ex-FBI (!) man turned editor for Crime Magazine and then there was Tony Franciosa as the reporter (I believe) for People Magazine (how prophetic).  The other thread was Susan St. James as the perky gal Friday.

      The series was introduced in a TV movie called Fame is the Name of the Game, which was St. James' screen debut.  It was successful enough to spawn the series.  Not the first of the "wheel" series, but the most stylish of them all.

      With that said, it should be noted that while Universal gave us a show that led to Search, the latter was a Warner production.  For whatever reason, audiences preferred candy stick sucking Frank Cannon to our high tech wonder.  Go figure.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30, 2001

        > The fifth episode I have is the celebrated Gene Barry episode:
        >
        > "L.A. 2017" directed by one Steven Spielberg.
        >
        > That last one is a sci-fi/fantasy episode in which Gene Barry
        > seemingly travels to the future and sees the effects of pollution and
        > environmental damage years hence.

        I remember that one! I think I saw half an hour of it or so on a Saturday
        afternoon on a Chicago channel in the early 70's. I remember this scene
        where Gene Barry goes into a club where a bunch of really wild looking
        long-haired old people are on stage jamming their hearts out, like they
        stayed fixated on the 70's or something. And the club's patrons were all
        senior citizens wearing shades and looking "cool". Amusing little scene! And
        to a certain degree this seems to have come true already. I'm not a fan of
        theirs, but just check out the Stones and their audience!!!

        Ken