Re: [probe_control] Re: Grover's background, etc.

  • martin allen
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 6, 2011
            Wasn't there a line in Grover's first story that indicates he had some serious military training at one point? Can't be an idiot and do that. I always liked McClure; I was actually glad to see him get away from Trampas, because even as a kid, I knew about the hazards of type-casting. I think his performance in 'Land That Time Forgot' is seriously under-rated.
        Don't let the cheap dinosaurs scare you away from that one.
           Martin Allen

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
        Has anyone had a chance of looking at the 'Checkmater' DVD release yet??

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        From: fewernicholas@...
        Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 23:53:38 +0000
        Subject: [probe_control] Re: Review of Probe

        Well, I've been a fan of Doug's for nearly 50 years and seen nearly all his TV series and movies and think he was a most under rated actor who didn't get the kind of roles he should have got. He wouldn't have lasted 9 years on The Virginian if he had been a bad actor, the producers of that, and of his previous series, Checkmate, held him in high regard as did his fellow actors.

        I liked his style of acting and his screen persona, but can understand that not everybody did, but that doesn't make him a bad actor. People have different tastes and that is what the different Probe operatives catered for. The success of The Virginian was partly due to him and the chemistry he had with Jim Drury, something that Jim acknowledges, and also to the contrasting characters of the Virginian and Trampas.

        Doug excelled in both dramatic roles and comedy, and despite being a "action" actor, could convey with a subtle change in facial expression, what his character was thinking. His passing was a great loss, but he is remembered with great affection by his fans worldwide.

        Nic.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
          >... Has anyone had a chance of looking at the 'Checkmater' DVD release yet??

        • Richard Perez
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
            McClure should have stayed on the prairie. Helooks out of place without a
            horse and six gun. He fit in well as a sitcom actor because he was a buffoon
            in the first place. Icontend he was miscast in SEARCH,

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
              I love those cheap dinosaurs! That's what makes those classic movies, well,
              classic. I loved Doug in "At The Earth's Core" (more cheap monster-type
              thingies), and I always thought it a treat to see his all-too-infrequent
              recurring character pop up in "The Fall Guy." I've seen McClure in other
              things, but I can't recall their titles and in all of them I thought his acting
              was on par with the rest of the cast, and at times slightly better than some
              of them. In roles where his character was a goof - and I've heard this
              from other actors in interviews - it tales talent to act like a goof and make
              it convincing. And when he was serious he was superb (that movie he did
              with Burgess Meredith on a sabotaged Concord plane - can't remember the title
              - was one of them).

              As for Grover's serious military training and not being an idiot... First,
              Grover wasn't an idiot: a little distracted (usually by a hot woman),
              sometimes slightly confused, maybe a bit scatterbrained, but he certainly was
              not an idiot; he just had a different way of thinking that people around him,
              including those in PROBE Control, didn't always understand.

              Second, I'm retiring at the end of this month after 30 years in the
              military, and trust me, I've seen and worked with people who have had some
              serious training, and they were real idiots (so it can be done).

              Dino.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
                Thanks for your thoughts, and congratulations on your retirement, Dino!

                Jim Alexander

                ==============

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
                  In a message dated 1/7/2011 12:52:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  richardperez@... writes:

                  McClure should have stayed on the prairie. He looks out of place without a
                  horse and six gun. He fit in well as a sitcom actor because he was a
                  buffoon
                  in the first place. I contend he was miscast in SEARCH,
                  OK... What the frack is your problem? You obviously hate McClure. You've
                  made that abundantly clear in every post you've made about him and it's
                  getting old!

                  I hate Mel Gibson. I think the man is a flaming analpore and I couldn't
                  care less if his drunken butt stepped in front of a speeding train. HOWEVER,
                  he is a good actor. He's done serious roles, and he's done goofy roles, and
                  he's done a good job in each type. I can't stand him as a person and I may
                  not watch any of his movies, but I don't go around like a broken record
                  saying, over and over again, that he looks out of place if he's not doing a
                  "Mad Max" role, or a "Lethal Weapon" role, or was miscast in any role.

                  You also seem to be the only one posting here who thinks McClure is a bad
                  actor. The rest of us seem to feel that he acts according to the parts he's
                  given - the way his characters are written - and is rather good at doing
                  it.

                  So you can't stand McClure; you've made your point - REPEATEDLY.

                  Now put a sock in it!

                  End fracking Run,

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
                    _richardperez@..._ (mailto:richardperez@...) writes:

                    McClure should have stayed on the prairie. He looks out of place without a
                    horse and six gun. He fit in well as a sitcom actor because he was a
                    buffoon in the first place. I contend he was miscast in SEARCH,

                    Let's try this again so it doesn't look so confusing this time...

[...]

                  • Marta Dawes
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
                      I love "At the Earth's Core" as well...it's just so much fun to watch. Doug
                      does a great job in it, and Peter Cushing is delightfully droll.

                      Marta

                      http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!

                      All we are saying...
                      is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon

                      May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
                      McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

                      zippytkat@... writes:

                      Wasn't there a line in Grover's first story that indicates he had some
                      serious military training at one point? Can't be an idiot and do that. I
                      always liked McClure; I was actually glad to see him get away from Trampas,
                      because even as a kid, I knew about the hazards of type-casting. I think
                      his performance in 'Land That Time Forgot' is seriously under-rated.
                      Don't let the cheap dinosaurs scare you away from that one.
                      Martin Allen

                    • British 2010 Promo
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
                        Loved At The Earths Core & Land Time Forgot has his best movies, post SEARCH

                        & did anyone notice the Control Center in Avatar movie, sweet for a New Search Control.

                        The one Sigorney Weaver came into to see boss over Marine entering System.

                        See Avatar.

                      • chevstriss@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 7, 2011
                          I loved Doug McClure, and yes i always thought he was the "goofy" probe
                          agent, and in fact the younger, hipper agent. My lust, however, was reserved
                          for Lockwood.

                          In a message dated 1/7/2011 8:57:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                          stephenrusell@... writes:

                          Loved At The Earths Core & Land Time Forgot has his best movies, post
                          SEARCH

                          & did anyone notice the Control Center in Avatar movie, sweet for a New
                          Search Control.

                          The one Sigorney Weaver came into to see boss over Marine entering System.

                          See Avatar.

                        • David Marks
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 8, 2011
                            I enjoyed Doug McClure's 1975 TV series "Barbary Coast" as Cash Conover
                            with Bill Shatner.  They seemed to have played off well.  I must find those episodes.
                            In the pilot Dennis Cole was Conover but I felt McClure did it better.

                                 End Run,

                                 David in MA

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 8, 2011
                              Seems the truth hurts...doesn't it?

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 9, 2011
                                There is no truth in your comments about McClure's acting, therefore
                                nothing hurts, so stop deluding yourself if you thing you are causing pain by
                                saying that he was a bad actor.

                                By the way, you seem to be the only one here who feels that way about him,
                                as no one else has agreed with you yet, and everyone (other than you) who's
                                been posting seems to think McClure's acting was fine, on par for the
                                parts he was given. Or hadn't you noticed that?

                                Rather, your constant whining "McClure was such an awful actor
                                blah-blah-fracking-blah" comments have gone beyond annoying. Your posts say the same
                                thing, over and over like a broken record.

                                Why do you hate him so much? Did he date someone in your family and then
                                dump her for someone else, thus depriving you of some possible riches
                                because you're not related to an actor?

                                My point is this...

                                YOU HAVE MADE YOUR POINT! YOU HATE DOUG McCLURE! WE GET IT! HOW MANY MORE
                                FRACKING TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO SAY IT?! START SAYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT
                                (like trying a different topic) OR STOP SAYING ANYTHING THAT HAS THE NAME
                                "McCLURE" IN IT!

                                End Run,
                                Dino.