Anne Francis of 'Forbidden Planet,' dies at 80

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
      Anne Francis also guest starred in the "Search" episode, "Countdown to Panic," which was written by Judy Burns. It was the episode where Ed Nelson contracts a depth disease and, in his insanity, kidnaps Howard Duff.

      More on "Countdown to Panic":
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697073/

      ----------------------

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110103/en_ac/7520186_anne_francis_of_forbidden_planet_and_honey_west_dies_at_age80_1

      Anne Francis, 'Forbidden Planet' Actress, Dies at Age 80
      by Mark Whittington – Mon Jan 3, 1:06 pm ET

      Anne Francis, best known for her starring role in the 1956 science fiction film "Forbidden Planet," has died of complications from pancreatic cancer at the age of 80. Francis was also known as 1960s TV's Honey West.

      While Francis, a heartbreakingly beautiful blond woman, worked in a myriad of guest and supporting roles on TV and in the movies over five decades, she will be best known as the daughter of a scientist named Dr. Morbius, played by Walter Pidgeon, named Altaira in one of the most intelligent science fiction movies produced of all of time.

      "Forbidden Planet," which was based loosely on Shakespeare's "The Tempest," concerned a star ship crew, led by Commander J.J. Adams, played by Leslie Nielsen, investigating a lost expedition on a planet orbiting Altair. The sole survivors of the expedition were a scientist, Dr. Morbius, and his daughter Altaira, raised entirely on the planet by her father and a robot named Robbie.

      Anne Francis' Altaira was as innocent and guileless as she was beautiful, which had the obvious effect on the all-male star ship crew who had been voyaging through interstellar space for over a year. (This was before "Star Trek's" USS Enterprise voyaged between the stars with female crew members.) She certainly had an effect on generations of young males who watched the movie with great interest.

      Altaira, obviously, was the Ariel of the movie, somewhat spritely in various senses of the word. Ironically, Leslie Nielsen, for whom the star ship commander was one of his earlier, more serious roles, also passed away recently.

      (snip)

      Continues here:
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110103/en_ac/7520186_anne_francis_of_forbidden_planet_and_honey_west_dies_at_age80_1

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
          Hello Don

          We had Anne Francis' death noted in my paper this morning. Guess God's nearly got his set of Forbidden Planet cast sans two now (let's hope Earl Holliman and Richard Anderson stick around).

          I pulled her 'Honey West' series to watch a couple years ago and despite its age, she still had presence even that far back.

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
          From: probecontrol@...
          Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:48:24 -0500
          Subject: Re: [probe_control] Anne Francis of 'Forbidden Planet,' dies at 80

          Thanks very much, Don.

          Jim Alexander

          ===================

[...]

        • David Marks
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
            I will add the same about Warren Stevens and James Drury.
            I met Warren a few years ago.  I understand he is mostly
            well at ninety-plus.

            Anne Francis, I understand, has been ill for some time battling
            cancer.  Thankfully, her suffering is over.

                 David

            We had Anne Francis' death noted in my paper this morning. Guess God's nearly got his set of Forbidden Planet cast sans two now (let's hope Earl Holliman and Richard Anderson stick around).

            I pulled her 'Honey West' series to watch a couple years ago and despite its age, she still had presence even that far back.

            WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

            To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
            From: probecontrol@...
            Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:48:24 -0500

            Thanks very much, Don.

            Jim Alexander

            ===================

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
              >... I will add the same about Warren Stevens and James Drury . I met Warren a few years ago. I understand he is mostly

              well at ninety-plus.

              ===============

              I'm glad you added that, David. I wanted to, but didn't follow up.

              I met Stevens a few years back, and he seemed quite fit and in good health, then. He was a QUIET sonuvagun , though! ;)

              ===============

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
                Thank you on my take about Warren Stevens.  I have been a fan ever
                since he costarred in "Forbidden Planet".  There was never a break-
                through role for him although he has done a great deal throughout
                the years:  "The Outer Limits", "One Step Beyond", "Star Trek",
                "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", and many others.

                     David
                >... I will add the same about Warren Stevens and James Drury . I met Warren a few years ago. I understand he is mostly

                well at ninety-plus.

                ===============

                I'm glad you added that, David. I wanted to, but didn't follow up.

                I met Stevens a few years back, and he seemed quite fit and in good health, then. He was a QUIET sonuvagun , though! ;)

                ===============

                >... Anne Francis, I understand, has been ill for some time battling cancer.

              • Ray Glasser
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Warren Stevens has always been one of my "heroes," I have him in Forbidden Planet, of course the Star Trek he was in ("By Any Other Name,") an episode of Science Fiction Theater were he played a time-traveler, and even in an episode of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" in an episode called "Deadly Invasion" that I taped off-air way back in 1976 - still have it on Beta!

                  Ray Glasser

                  From: Jim Alexander <probecontrol@...>

                  To: "probe control" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>

                  Date: Tuesday, January 4, 2011, 3:59 PM

                  >... I will add the same about Warren Stevens and James Drury . I met Warren a few years ago. I understand he is mostly

                  well at ninety-plus.

                  I'm glad you added that, David. I wanted to, but didn't follow up.

                  I met Stevens a few years back, and he seemed quite fit and in good health, then. He was a QUIET sonuvagun , though! ;)

                  >... Anne Francis, I understand, has been ill for some time battling cancer.

                  I believe you are correct. For years, now.