Re: [probe_control] Re: Comets, Eggs, and Vincent (Oh my!)

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
      Geoff,

      You're right; Frederick Pohl isn't an author I've read, at least not yet.
      I'll have to look into some of his works.

      As far as the TARDIS goes, I applaud the BBC winning the legal battle
      against the Metropolitan Police to claim the rights to the image of the Police
      Box, especially since the Beeb kept the image going for more than 40 years
      after the Met demolished 99% of all Police Boxes in Britain. (Several
      friends of ours also refer to those blue Port-a-loos as TARDISes.)

      John Logie Baird? I'll check with the wife on this one. Her best friend
      from high school is a Baird (at least until she got married) and she might
      know something if there is a relation. (And this is a mild torment for me...
      the two girls in high school I wanted most to marry just had to be best
      friends, and this I didn't learn until after I started dating my wife. It was
      one of those introduction moments of "It's you?!"... "It's you!") And
      actually, according to my wife, as far back as she could remember, her father
      read nothing but the Bible. (The DaVinci Code is nothing in conspiracy
      theories compared to what he felt was hidden in books.)

      Speaking of books, I'll ask my wife if she has any idea how many she's read
      so far. It may not be a billion, but it may come close. If she stops to
      sit for more than a few seconds, she's got a book in her hands. I seriously
      hope she never gets into the British Museum; if she finds those books I'll
      never see her again. (Darned shame about that Library of Alexandria, though,
      but I had to do SOMETHING to get her out of there!)

      Dino.

      In a message dated 11/2/2010 3:37:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      gfwillmetts@... writes:

      Hello Dino

      Re: out of body space travel. You’ve obviously not read any of Frederick
      Pohl’s Heechee books.
      I was joshing you about the TARDIS. Despite its look, most generations
      just call it and even the real thing, a TARDIS these days over here. It was
      probably the first most surreal-looking time machine.

      As I don’t drink any coffee or tea variants, I’ve never been in such
      places but I always have a memory of Sally from ‘Third Rock From The Sun’
      throwing the froth away from such concoctions.

      You mean there isn’t people watching me through the TV set?? Your wife’s
      father obviously read ‘1984’. Does that mean John Logie Baird was Satan??
      As I understand, our British Museum is supposed to keep copies of all
      books printed and its in excess of a billion hence your wife is unlikely to
      have read them all.

      Re: your story. I just picked the commonest place where I’d seen the plot.
      You’ll probably find all major SF TV shows have touched on it from time to
      time. This is why it pays to keep attention as to what is out there. Just
      because you started before seeing such shows doesn’t give you any priority
      over the idea other than making sure it has an original and different
      solution or outcome.
      I think I’ve commented before that it would probably help your cause more
      with building up your name by having it seen in short stories in various
      mags first to show that you have a following to any publisher you approach.
      To have so much hope on a single first novel is actually the bigger risk.
      Most neo-writers see selling a book as a means to a little money if not
      some wealth although if you really want to do that, don’t write Science
      Fiction. You’d make better money from romance.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
        Hello Dino

        Fred Pohl is one of the few grand masters of SF still alive. I�m sure others here will give you some recommendations. Apart from the HeeChee books, a standalone of his called �Man Plus� will probably give you the most nightmares.

        Re: TARDIS. It did kinda help that that the police no longer use police boxes like that. The inside of the traditional box was used to take a break in.

        Baird was a Brit so I doubt if they�re even distant cousins cos it�s a common names. Your wife�s father would have gotten on well with Margaret White, Carrie�s mother if you or she knows the books.

        You have to have a special library card to get into the British Museum library but you�re not allowed to get them off site.

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
          Geoff,

          I don't do well with nightmares, so... I may pass on Fred Pohl (like I
          stay away from Stephen King!).

          I managed to download quite large plans of the original Police Boxes a
          while back. The inside looked rather functional, and comfortable: desk,
          phone, stool. It's a shame they did away with them.

          Baird might be a fairly common name, but there could still be some
          relation along the lines. I've been playing about on Ancestry.com and just
          learned that I've got lineage stemming from Stokes, Kerwin, O'Sullivan,
          McLaughlin, and McNamara, who all came from Ireland (paternal grandmother's
          side), along with a Corcoran from Canada. I haven't even scratched the Italian
          part (paternal grandfather) and found out that my great-grandfather's mother
          was French (surname Antoinette, I forget the provence she came from). And
          then there's my mother's side: German, Swiss, and Slovak. So who knows? My
          wife worked with a woman whose maiden name was Stallone; three guesses who
          her cousin is? And when I was teaching Electronics for the Coast Guard, one
          of my students was a Campbell: first cousin of Doug Campbell (Howie of
          "The Fall Guy" TV series, and the resemblance was amazing!). Relation can pop
          up anywhere.

          If I didn't know better, I would say that someone based Carrie's
          mother on my father-in-law. Things were that scary. There were times when I was
          dating my wife that I went to visit her at her house and was greeted at the
          door by her father, who, as I entered the house, gave me a piece of paper
          on which was written "Say nothing. Write everything down. I've just
          discovered this house is being wiretapped." I had to stay for at least 20 minutes,
          or the people "watching" his house would be convinced that I'd come for
          some evidence that he was holding and was then going to deliver it to some
          "authority" which would be able to shut down "their" operation. (We never knew
          who "they" were. It was almost like living "The Prisoner"!) My wife wanted
          to go out of the house with me, but wasn't allowed because he knew she
          would be followed, and through the places she went with me "they" would figure
          out what he was up to, and try to kill him in some fashion. Even the local
          police had been bought and were in on it, as were the doctors at the
          hospital who would certify that his death was from "natural causes" after they
          poisoned him (by sneaking into his house at night). He didn't even come to
          our wedding because he knew the priest was also "on the payroll". (I don't
          think my wife was ever so happy as on our wedding day and she got to move
          out!)

          Getting into the British Museum Library? No problem! Psychic paper:
          I'm looking at it now. It says I'm an inspector for the Ministry of Museum
          Libraries, to be granted full access to all areas and documents. (Huge wink!)
          Besides, if we were able to get in, my wife wouldn't care if the books
          couldn't leave. She'd find a suitable chair and plant herself in it, and not
          get up until either she finished the book, or nature called.

          Dino.