Re: [probe_control] Re: Apollo carrotts

    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 3, 2010
      Geoff, Mike,

      I just checked my favorite dictionary, which along with the meanings
      of words also gives British spellings variants, and for "anaerobic" it only
      gives this spelling. It also gives the first "recorded" use of the term as
      being in 1881, when the US still used British spelling for some of its
      words.

      So hazarding a guess, I'd say this is the only spelling in both
      British and American English for this word.

      Dino.

      In a message dated 11/3/2010 6:10:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      gfwillmetts@... writes:

      Hello Mike

      Looked at the link. I'm wondering if that's an American spelling.

      Re: Scanners. Ever thought of brass or bronze?? I thought they used that
      in the series.

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
      http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES
      HARDER
      Between 42-48 million hits a month!!!

      WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

      AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
      SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1
      most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site
      on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: kc8nqa@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 05:11:49 +0000
      Subject: [probe_control] Re: Apollo carrotts

      Hi guys
      Very interesting, definitely enjoyed reading the last few post.
      Haven't had much time to get on lately, really busy, havent had much time
      to complete the two Scanners Ive been working on (not sure I can afford the
      Gold to finish them.) Anyway here ya go - think it means (Without Air)

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic

      Blessings ALL,

      Mike

      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      here it seemed like we had almost a solid week of rain after such a launch.
      I always attributed it to the liquid H2 and O2 used as the fuel - mixing
      together with a propulsion byproduct of, well, lots of water - hence the
      rain. I'm sure there was more to it, but no one was able to give a rational
      explanation for the odd post launch weather.

      > Years ago, in the early '90s when I was aboard the Cutter Harriet lane,
      we spend almost three solid years sailing between Haiti and Guantanamo Bay
      (Gitmo) dealing with the migration crisis. I almost had no winters for
      three years, with the average Gitmo temp being 98F with Caribbean humidity. By
      the time I transferred off of the Lane I was able to stand on her flight
      deck, in Gitmo, in July at high noon when we held Quarters, and I could wear
      my "Onslo" jacket and not sweat. (Onslo being from "Keeping Up Appearances"
      and his heavy olive green foul weather jacket.) After the Lane I worked at
      what was COMDAC (COMmand, Display And Control) Support Facility. This was
      like a cryogenic chamber and I nearly froze to death - the average building
      temp was 55-60F. The labs were even colder. So between the Lane and COMDAC
      I had my metabolism destroyed. Now my comfort zone is between 70 and 80F:
      below that I feel a chill; above that I sweat various bits of my anatomy
      off.

      > I'm sorry that Hulu link didn't work over there. If I remember the
      dialog correctly, Nelson makes a note to Reisner that the professor's (who was
      working with the plankton) wife's name was Karen. Reisner wanted to know
      what that had to do with anything. Nelson asked if his wife's name was Karen
      then why was he shouting "Anna!"? Nelson said he wasn't calling for his
      wife, but trying to say what was wrong with the plankton, only he couldn't
      finish speaking before the plankton killed him. Nelson believed the word the
      professor was trying to say was "Anna-roobick" (again no idea how to spell
      it: I'd love to see the script for that episode). So far I haven't been able
      to find that word - using every spelling I can think of - in any dictionary
      or on the internet. So, I'm guessing the word was a "techno-babble" term
      used for the story to describe what was making the plankton grow so huge
      when it got warm.

      > "Knight Rider 2000" was the movie with the red car KITT (after he spend
      some time in the light blue 1957 Chevy). "Knight Rider 2010" was the Mad
      Max world, and the car, with a murdered woman's digitally recorded "spirit"
      loaded into its computer, finally appeared in the last 30 minutes or so of
      the movie. Interesting concept, but overall that one was a vast
      disappointment. And yes, I believe you're right in saying that red-car KITT's abilities
      were brought into Mustang KITT, including the aquatic capabilities.

      > And I checked the link to the imdb on Angela Lansbury. I wasn't doubting
      you that she and Bruce (of M:I fame) were siblings. I just thought it
      humorous that when you wrote it, you'd gotten the relationship backwards:
      > (Quote from your post: On Sep 22, 2010, at 6:23:14 AM, "Geoff Willmetts"
      <gfwillmetts@...> wrote: Angela Lansbury is Bruce Lansbury's brother. He
      produced Mission: Impossible.)
      > Sorry for the small print, but that's how it copied over. You no doubt
      meant to say that she was Bruce's sister, or that he was her brother. (Just
      trying to make a counter-joke to yours about me and medication).

      > Keep scaring the locals! (And yes; I'm still alive, but I think starting
      to just barely hang on. You are formidable. You really make me think quite
      hard on things.)

      #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF
      site on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

    • David Marks
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 9, 2010
        Yes, in "The Six Million Dollar Man - Wine, Women, and War" follow-up
        movie Oscar Goldman began as a stiff character exerting his power
        on Austin.  Rudy Wells explains that Goldman was really a good man,
        and Steve should give him a chance.  It was later that Goldman learns
        to play it more straight with Steve rather than being duplicitous after
        one particular altercation.