Re: Comets, Eggs, and Vincent (Oh my!)

  • galacticprobe
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
      Geoff,

      Sorry to be out of touch for so long, but military retirements take up a lot of time: physicals, paperwork, getting with the VA (Veterans' Affairs) people to review records, then going through evaluations to see how much disability you're eligible for. Add to that this vertigo problem that still plagues me as well as a bum leg from that sciatic nerve damage and the meds I'm taking for it all... Fun in a bucket.

      Space travel? I doubt I'll ever do any thanks to my physical state. So I won't be comet hopping (or running from any gate to another; I barely make it walking - I can't run even if I had to). So I'll be planted on Terra Firma until someone kindlt drops a fully operational Police Box on my front doorsteps.

      Eggs: The whole "over easy" terminology simply means the eggs are cooked slightly on one side, and then flipped over to lightly cook the other, usually when someone feel that "sunny side up" doesn't cook the white part enough. However, an over easy egg still has some gooey whites, just not as much as a sunny side up.
      Over medium - a term I never heard until I got stationed in Virginia - is an over easy egg cooked until only the yoke is soft and everything else is firm (my personal favorite.) Over hard is cooked with a broken yoke so nothing is soft, and those are usualy cound on those egg sandwiches.

      Books: I've read quite a few. Not as many as my wife has, mind you, as she's read just about every book written in the English language. I do share your disdain with the misuse of words: neither and either are amongst them. People I went through school with - I know they had to pass the same english and grammer tests that I did - are now misusing words like there, their, they're... "I went to there house for dinner last night." "Their going to the concert tomorrow." And then there is the "your" and "you're" issue. "Your not going with me this time." "That's you're shirt." I won't even get into their horrid disregard for punctuation or capitalization. These people are nearing 50 years old and they're writing like pre-schoolers! Aaaugh!

      As for the SF story I'm working on, I do have a plot outlined. Serious-minded people partially restore an old starship which ends up developing a personality of her own, and is somewhat unreliable, unless there is a crisis; then she operates flawlessly. The crew is sent on a search and rescue mission, and learn that their good friend of years ago had been used as a pattern for a hybernating race of killer androids to revive themselves. Then the crew has to find a way to destroy the androids before the androids destroy Earth and every other planet, turning the inhabitants into "fuel" for their machinery. I wouldn't say that the crew meets with repeated pratfalls, but as they battle the androids they do find themselves in situations so absurd that you can't help but laugh at them. It's a sort of "Star Trek" meets "Get Smart" meets "Operation Petticoat."
      It starts with a somber battle that shows the main characters' feelings and devotion to each other, and the humor aspect creeps in as the story moves along. It's got serious action, some starship battles, weapons shootouts with the androids, and some really bad jokes from one of the characters in dire situations. (As his friends point out to him, they know just how much danger they're in by how bad his jokes get.) It's still a work in progress, and my wife who's read hundreds of SF (and fantasy) books is helping me along with it. So hopefully one day I'll see it on bookstore shelves to augment my retirement pension.
      And because I do need to step away from it now and again, to clear my head, I'm also working on a story set in the 1880s (Historical Fiction, I think it falls into) involving a lady lighthouse keeper and her beau who is the first mate aboard a clipper ship. This one is a bit more serious, but there is still some humor in it (the comic relief sort).

      Dino.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
        Hello Dino

        Glad you�re surviving. Life sometimes takes over.

        Re: space travel. Who says you need to take your body with you?? I don�t think you need a police box. A TARDIS is a different kettle of fish though. As I think I�ve commented, I have a non-operational one. Shame I can�t get fissionable material through customs.

        Re: Eggs. My lot just cook until its done. Do you ever get the thought that your compatriots might be food snobs with such description as to how they want their food cooked??

        Re: Books. Unless your wife is an immortal, then I doubt if she�s read everything. I kinda impressed Bob Greenberger by reading his Essential Superman Encyclopaedia last month but I�ve read such lengthy tomes in the past. By the by, those of you into DC material, it�s a useful reference and I only found four spelling mistakes.

        Re: Your SF story. I think that�s been done a couple times in the Star Trek shows. If you know the plots, make sure you don�t follow the same solutions.
        Don�t think book writing makes big bucks. For time spent, assuming you can find a buyer, you�ll be lucky to break even.

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        From: LambuLambu@...
        Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 17:14:19 +0000
        Subject: [probe_control] Re: Comets, Eggs, and Vincent (Oh my!)

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
          Geoff,

          Personally, I'd like to keep my body with me if I ever made any space
          travel otherwise I think I'd end up falling into the Cyberman category (the only
          thing creepier than my Aunt Muriel, or a Dalek speaking German). And a
          TARDIS was what I was alluding to with my Police Box reference; I kind of like
          that shape. Mine is also inoperable. That is, really broken; all I've got
          left of it (so far) is the Fresnel lens from the top, and its demat circuit
          which is missing a few pieces. So I'm stuck.

          Some of my compatriots are definitely food snobs. All you need do is walk
          into a Starbuck's Coffee shop to realize that as some 60+ bimbo-wannabe
          walks in dressed like someone in her 20s to order a half caramel macchiato,
          half chocolate mocha, with one "squirt" of cinnamon and half soy milk, with
          half skim... (And yes, I've seen that just the other day. From the back she
          made you think, "Oooh?" But once she turned around it made you go
          "Eeeewwww!" Or to quote Monty Python: "Run away! Run away!"

          My wife isn't quite an Immortal (how I wish) but she has been an avid
          reader since age five. Her father was rather unstable in the head and truly
          believed that a TV was nothing more than a government device used for spying on
          people (like a two-way mirror, specifically used on him) because he was
          trying to get military disability retroactive to his WW II service and they
          didn't want to "pay up". (He was a cook in the Navy "Sea Bees" and never
          suffered any injuries in the line of duty. He was also convinced that people
          were sneaking into his house while he slept to poison his food, so he put
          padlocks on every cabinet and the fridge, and rarely slept so he could keep
          watch.) He was also a bit of a religious freak (no offence intended to any
          religious members of the group) and aside from the spying device believed
          that Satan created the TV for the government's use. He never allowed one in
          the house so my wife learned to read very early on and to this day she can
          read through several books a week, and that's just in the evenings after she
          settles in for the night after supper. On a weekend when she's not working
          she can blast through a book that's an inch thick in a day! Her preference
          is mysteries, but she's read SF, fantasy, documentaries, modern and
          historical romance... You name it, she's probably read it. In high school, with
          the exception of the heavy scientific books she'd read every book in the
          school library before the end of 11th Grade. (Not sure what that equates to in
          UK schools, but it's the 3rd of four years over here.)

          As for my book, I'm definitely steering away from the "Trek" plots. I know
          things like this have been done before which is why I've been working on it
          so much. When I first started it there was no "Next Generation" (et al,
          which debuted a few months after I started) or "Babylon 5" or a new
          "Galactica", and as luck would have it some of those had ideas along the lines I had
          dreamed up. So, more alterations get made. And you're right; finding a
          buyer isn't easy these days unless you happen to be related to someone in the
          publishing business. (What I need is an Alistair Deacon on my side!) Also,
          I hadn't planned on getting rich on it. (I wouldn't complain if it
          happened, but a Tolkien, Stephen King, or J. K. Rowling I will never be.) A
          little more than breaking even, maybe, but I don't think I'll do more than that.
          For all I know it may never go anywhere, but it allows me a little fun.

          Dino.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
            Hello Dino

            Re: out of body space travel. You�ve obviously not read any of Frederick Pohl�s Heechee books.
            I was joshing you about the TARDIS. Despite its look, most generations just call it and even the real thing, a TARDIS these days over here. It was probably the first most surreal-looking time machine.

            As I don�t drink any coffee or tea variants, I�ve never been in such places but I always have a memory of Sally from �Third Rock From The Sun� throwing the froth away from such concoctions.

            You mean there isn�t people watching me through the TV set?? Your wife�s father obviously read �1984�. Does that mean John Logie Baird was Satan??
            As I understand, our British Museum is supposed to keep copies of all books printed and its in excess of a billion hence your wife is unlikely to have read them all.

            Re: your story. I just picked the commonest place where I�d seen the plot. You�ll probably find all major SF TV shows have touched on it from time to time. This is why it pays to keep attention as to what is out there. Just because you started before seeing such shows doesn�t give you any priority over the idea other than making sure it has an original and different solution or outcome.
            I think I�ve commented before that it would probably help your cause more with building up your name by having it seen in short stories in various mags first to show that you have a following to any publisher you approach. To have so much hope on a single first novel is actually the bigger risk.
            Most neo-writers see selling a book as a means to a little money if not some wealth although if you really want to do that, don�t write Science Fiction. You�d make better money from romance.

            To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
              Geoff,

              You're right; Frederick Pohl isn't an author I've read, at least not yet.
              I'll have to look into some of his works.

              As far as the TARDIS goes, I applaud the BBC winning the legal battle
              against the Metropolitan Police to claim the rights to the image of the Police
              Box, especially since the Beeb kept the image going for more than 40 years
              after the Met demolished 99% of all Police Boxes in Britain. (Several
              friends of ours also refer to those blue Port-a-loos as TARDISes.)

              John Logie Baird? I'll check with the wife on this one. Her best friend
              from high school is a Baird (at least until she got married) and she might
              know something if there is a relation. (And this is a mild torment for me...
              the two girls in high school I wanted most to marry just had to be best
              friends, and this I didn't learn until after I started dating my wife. It was
              one of those introduction moments of "It's you?!"... "It's you!") And
              actually, according to my wife, as far back as she could remember, her father
              read nothing but the Bible. (The DaVinci Code is nothing in conspiracy
              theories compared to what he felt was hidden in books.)

              Speaking of books, I'll ask my wife if she has any idea how many she's read
              so far. It may not be a billion, but it may come close. If she stops to
              sit for more than a few seconds, she's got a book in her hands. I seriously
              hope she never gets into the British Museum; if she finds those books I'll
              never see her again. (Darned shame about that Library of Alexandria, though,
              but I had to do SOMETHING to get her out of there!)

              Dino.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
                Hello Dino

                Fred Pohl is one of the few grand masters of SF still alive. I�m sure others here will give you some recommendations. Apart from the HeeChee books, a standalone of his called �Man Plus� will probably give you the most nightmares.

                Re: TARDIS. It did kinda help that that the police no longer use police boxes like that. The inside of the traditional box was used to take a break in.

                Baird was a Brit so I doubt if they�re even distant cousins cos it�s a common names. Your wife�s father would have gotten on well with Margaret White, Carrie�s mother if you or she knows the books.

                You have to have a special library card to get into the British Museum library but you�re not allowed to get them off site.

                To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
                  Geoff,

                  I don't do well with nightmares, so... I may pass on Fred Pohl (like I
                  stay away from Stephen King!).

                  I managed to download quite large plans of the original Police Boxes a
                  while back. The inside looked rather functional, and comfortable: desk,
                  phone, stool. It's a shame they did away with them.

                  Baird might be a fairly common name, but there could still be some
                  relation along the lines. I've been playing about on Ancestry.com and just
                  learned that I've got lineage stemming from Stokes, Kerwin, O'Sullivan,
                  McLaughlin, and McNamara, who all came from Ireland (paternal grandmother's
                  side), along with a Corcoran from Canada. I haven't even scratched the Italian
                  part (paternal grandfather) and found out that my great-grandfather's mother
                  was French (surname Antoinette, I forget the provence she came from). And
                  then there's my mother's side: German, Swiss, and Slovak. So who knows? My
                  wife worked with a woman whose maiden name was Stallone; three guesses who
                  her cousin is? And when I was teaching Electronics for the Coast Guard, one
                  of my students was a Campbell: first cousin of Doug Campbell (Howie of
                  "The Fall Guy" TV series, and the resemblance was amazing!). Relation can pop
                  up anywhere.

                  If I didn't know better, I would say that someone based Carrie's
                  mother on my father-in-law. Things were that scary. There were times when I was
                  dating my wife that I went to visit her at her house and was greeted at the
                  door by her father, who, as I entered the house, gave me a piece of paper
                  on which was written "Say nothing. Write everything down. I've just
                  discovered this house is being wiretapped." I had to stay for at least 20 minutes,
                  or the people "watching" his house would be convinced that I'd come for
                  some evidence that he was holding and was then going to deliver it to some
                  "authority" which would be able to shut down "their" operation. (We never knew
                  who "they" were. It was almost like living "The Prisoner"!) My wife wanted
                  to go out of the house with me, but wasn't allowed because he knew she
                  would be followed, and through the places she went with me "they" would figure
                  out what he was up to, and try to kill him in some fashion. Even the local
                  police had been bought and were in on it, as were the doctors at the
                  hospital who would certify that his death was from "natural causes" after they
                  poisoned him (by sneaking into his house at night). He didn't even come to
                  our wedding because he knew the priest was also "on the payroll". (I don't
                  think my wife was ever so happy as on our wedding day and she got to move
                  out!)

                  Getting into the British Museum Library? No problem! Psychic paper:
                  I'm looking at it now. It says I'm an inspector for the Ministry of Museum
                  Libraries, to be granted full access to all areas and documents. (Huge wink!)
                  Besides, if we were able to get in, my wife wouldn't care if the books
                  couldn't leave. She'd find a suitable chair and plant herself in it, and not
                  get up until either she finished the book, or nature called.

                  Dino.